Running Thread 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauled my carcass around the Brass Monkey Half Marathon this morning. Only had a couple of weeks training after a couple of months off with patellar tendonitis.

Only managed to get back up to a slow 10 miles in training so pleased to get round although I collapsed to 15 minute miles for the last 3 miles. The knee held up ok but it feels like my shoes are full of daggers now.

Hopefully I can pick up the pace a bit for Dalton Park next week.

First goal ticked off this morning, half marathon PB at the Brass Monkey in York. 72.07. Good conditions for it.

10k/5k to work on now
Was watching the missus at Durham relays and looked out for you so guessed be doing brass monkey , great time mate , well deserved

24:46 in a 5K today, not too bad for not having run an inch this year and the fact that it was -8 celsius and breezy, plus I'm a little under the weather. Maybe I'll actually run fast someday!

Hoping to improve on my first year of running, looking to beat all my current PB's:- 5K 24:29, 10K 49:19, Half Marathon 1:56:35.

Only have Sunderland Half booked in at the moment but will be looking to enter more in the next month or so.

Started a bit of Trail running at the end of last year up Penshaw so i may explorer that area a bit more and enter into the Trail Outlaws 2018 Season Ticket.

Broke my 5K PB at the weekend @ Sunderland Park Run, got it down to 24:01

Fk me, that race must be absolutely brutal in this weather. Do they camp overnight ? They can't be carrying their gear surely?
its a non stop race (ie the clock never stops) they can sleep as and when they want but there are cut-offs along the way. They carry all gear but have a drop bag that is transported ahead of them between set check points (some are 30-40 miles apart). Its hoting up at the front with less than 500 meters between the first 2. Not always easy to gauge who is winning as their sleep patterns can be different. I think the leader has had around 3 hrs sleep upto now all in like 20 min bursts, 2nd place guy a little more maybe 4-5hrs. Currently 190 miles into the race - 3 days 5 hrs 9 mins and as you say the weather up on cross fell (where the leaders have just been) must be brutal!!

Footage of tan hill earlier -
its a non stop race (ie the clock never stops) they can sleep as and when they want but there are cut-offs along the way. They carry all gear but have a drop bag that is transported ahead of them between set check points (some are 30-40 miles apart). Its hoting up at the front with less than 500 meters between the first 2. Not always easy to gauge who is winning as their sleep patterns can be different. I think the leader has had around 3 hrs sleep upto now all in like 20 min bursts, 2nd place guy a little more maybe 4-5hrs. Currently 190 miles into the race - 3 days 5 hrs 9 mins and as you say the weather up on cross fell (where the leaders have just been) must be brutal!!

Footage of tan hill earlier -

the kit list includes a tent / bivvy, sleeping bag, 2-3 emergency layers, cooking stove etc etc etc - normally 15-20kg even if you have minimalist expensive kit.

Last edited:
Anybody got a treadmill and keep it in garage ?? Daughter (no) wants to go halfys on one, doubt I would use it much as boring as hell and not same as running outside anyway but would be handy once in while , anyway noticed most manufacturers say shouldn’t be kept in garage as the cold can knacker them and any guarantee would be void ??

Anybody got a treadmill and keep it in garage ?? Daughter (no) wants to go halfys on one, doubt I would use it much as boring as hell and not same as running outside anyway but would be handy once in while , anyway noticed most manufacturers say shouldn’t be kept in garage as the cold can knacker them and any guarantee would be void ??
I keep mine in my garage. Never even read the guarantee :)

TBH I know a few people with treadmills and they all keep them in the garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back