Running Thread 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been to doctor's today and they think it is gout. Good news is that it should clear up in a couple of days with treatment. Bad news is that I'm probably going to shit myself inside out over them two days.
Realistically it means I'm going to have missed two weeks training at a crucial point but hopefully I'll be back out at the weekend and at least getting a few miles in.
Going to have to readjust my expectations once again and just aim to get round the course with as little walking as possible but getting to the start line is going to be a big bonus compared to what I thought during the week.
Frustrating that I'm once again not going to be properly prepared for a race but I will be chuffed if I can get round.

Welcome to my world marra. Gout has fucked me over for the last 2 Manchester Marathons by constantly interrupting my training. Changed meds earlier this year & it seems to have settled down now so finally getting a bit of consistency in training. Got my mileage back up to the point where I'll be able to get round Edinburgh Marathon without stopping but a decent time is out of the question.

Welcome to my world marra. Gout has fucked me over for the last 2 Manchester Marathons by constantly interrupting my training. Changed meds earlier this year & it seems to have settled down now so finally getting a bit of consistency in training. Got my mileage back up to the point where I'll be able to get round Edinburgh Marathon without stopping but a decent time is out of the question.
I'm a plodder rather than a runner so I don't get too hung up on times (albeit I would like to do a half under 2 hours at some point) but the thought of walking at any point frustrates me. I hated the GNR for the amount of people walking but if I can get a fair way round with stopping I'll be happy.

Anybody tried Hokas for running
aye loads. train in tracers (great shoe) long stuff in cliftons (road) and either speedgoats or challengers for long off road stiff. All low drop so if you are going to try them and not used to that low wear them in slowly.

aye loads. train in tracers (great shoe) long stuff in cliftons (road) and either speedgoats or challengers for long off road stiff. All low drop so if you are going to try them and not used to that low wear them in slowly.
I got some saucony kinvara January and loved them, wore them all time and sure enough got calf strain (4mm drop), that’s why I but unsure about hoka , the cushion must be nice for the legs but the drop maybe too harsh for me

Says I need a wheelchair dan

Looking to get a decent pair of running shoes. Thoughts on these ? Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34

Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Men's Running Shoe. Nike.com GB
I’m half thinking them if don’t get Hokas as they have cushion but not too heavy , Pegasus been going for donkeys years mate . Main problem Nike is very few running shops stock them now so difficult to actually try them on , Nike website does free returns though

Last edited:
Reactions: D.A
I got some saucony kinvara January and loved them, wore them all time and sure enough got calf strain (4mm drop), that’s why I but unsure about hoka , the cushion must be nice for the legs but the drop maybe too harsh for me

You can always try a heel pad to give you more lift ?

Says I need a wheelchair dan

I’m half thinking them if don’t get Hokas as they have cushion but not too heavy , Pegasus been going for donkeys years mate . Main problem Nike is very few running shops stock them now so difficult to actually try them on , Nike website does free returns though

@archiesdad thought bout a heel pad but stuck them on eBay couple week ago , too late now

Prices of many trainers seems nuts now mind you , I’m sure they’ve gone up fair bit over past year

Been to doctor's today and they think it is gout. Good news is that it should clear up in a couple of days with treatment. Bad news is that I'm probably going to shit myself inside out over them two days.
Realistically it means I'm going to have missed two weeks training at a crucial point but hopefully I'll be back out at the weekend and at least getting a few miles in.
Going to have to readjust my expectations once again and just aim to get round the course with as little walking as possible but getting to the start line is going to be a big bonus compared to what I thought during the week.
Frustrating that I'm once again not going to be properly prepared for a race but I will be chuffed if I can get round.
Game over for me. Still can't get my running shoes on so there's no way I'm going to be ready in two weeks time.:cry:
Gutted but just have to wait until safe to run again and set another challenge.
Foot has improved a lot but toe now seems to be at a wonky angle with gap between toes bigger than it is on my right foot. Hopefully it settles down and back into place.

Just started going out running the last 2 weeks with no reason other than self improvement and cardio.

Almost every day ive been out and I can barely manage 2.5km still. It's a long road ahead, ideally I'd like to do 5-6km and get back into 5 a side footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back