Running Thread 2017

I’m still a bit overweight but managing every other day pretty much fine.
Cheers. I've started doing every weekday barring Tuesday when I play football and aim to do 1weekend day. Only starting off a few miles area time

I tend to try and run 5 times a week, for the last few weeks it's been Monday to Friday but i sometimes skip a day during the week if i have something on and go out on a saturday instead. Starting to build up my miles over the last 2 month or so getting around 25 mile a week in now on average.

That's my plan too roughly. Thinking about going back to striders on a thursday to run with the older group too

Depends on why I'm running. If I'm not targeting a specific race& just running for pleasure or base maintenance then almost every day but at a pretty low intensity. As I'm approaching a target race I drop down to 1 interval session, 1 Tempo run & 1 long run per week but at a higher intensity & up the tempo of cross training as well.
I don't live too far from the Silky ski slope. Might have a gentle run down there then do a few quick laps then back home. Breaks up the routine a bit

Last edited:

It was behind the mobile mast. Says after 100 yards to take trail on left. I followed but after well over 100 yards there was no trail to left so I went back to mast and took a left trail there. Steep downhill so I thought it must be right but it didn't take me to a road as described (then you're meant to go across a stream).

I still ended up at the footbridge over a19 and back on track to Dalton, just seemingly not by the correct route. Saying that, the section I missed is all marked with tape on race day.
Look at my strava to last years. I can vaguely remember it

I like the trails...but blimey the route guide is easy to misinterpret in places. One bit tonight towards Dalton le Dale I just couldn't seem to find.
as you pass the mobile mast on your right the main trail turns to the right. After around 101yds (maybe slightly less but these things are never measured so always a guess) there is a very narrow trail on the left that leads down to a house and a road. This trail is not often used so very overgrown and hard to spot but it is there. On race day it always used to be marked with tape as its very easy to miss. From the road (near the house) you head left following the stream until you come near to the a19 - eventually taking the footbridge over towards Dalton le dale.

It was behind the mobile mast. Says after 100 yards to take trail on left. I followed but after well over 100 yards there was no trail to left so I went back to mast and took a left trail there. Steep downhill so I thought it must be right but it didn't take me to a road as described (then you're meant to go across a stream).

I still ended up at the footbridge over a19 and back on track to Dalton, just seemingly not by the correct route. Saying that, the section I missed is all marked with tape on race day.
I wouldn't bank on the taping bit mind !!

as you pass the mobile mast on your right the main trail turns to the right. After around 101yds (maybe slightly less but these things are never measured so always a guess) there is a very narrow trail on the left that leads down to a house and a road. This trail is not often used so very overgrown and hard to spot but it is there. On race day it always used to be marked with tape as its very easy to miss. From the road (near the house) you head left following the stream until you come near to the a19 - eventually taking the footbridge over towards Dalton le dale.

Cheers mate, exactly where I went wrong then! Must have completely missed it.

Cheers mate, exactly where I went wrong then! Must have completely missed it.
if you are going to try it again (I suggest you do) then have a quick check on google maps (satellite view) beforehand. Look for the house sitting alone towards Murton and the path might be visible - if not at least you have an idea of where you are heading to. (its called Dalton Moor Farm from memory)

if you are going to try it again (I suggest you do) then have a quick check on google maps (satellite view) beforehand. Look for the house sitting alone towards Murton and the path might be visible - if not at least you have an idea of where you are heading to. (its called Dalton Moor Farm from memory)

Brilliant, thank you. The rest (from Seaton) was fine and once I get to Hawthorne I'm okay (live in Seaham and run round there a fair bit). Reckon I'll be okay up to the stackyard if I follow others but if I can I'm going to try it from the beginning to there too.
I've heard a few people go wrong after the seaham checkpoint too.

Brilliant, thank you. The rest (from Seaton) was fine and once I get to Hawthorne I'm okay (live in Seaham and run round there a fair bit). Reckon I'll be okay up to the stackyard if I follow others but if I can I'm going to try it from the beginning to there too.
I've heard a few people go wrong after the seaham checkpoint too.
not sure many go wrong from there mind ? you basically follow the cliff top path all the way to Ryhope village. Cross the road near to the Albion garage and follow a clear signed path across to the footy pitches / boxing club and around the back of Tunstall hill heading towards the ski slope. You turn right up a pretty steep grass hill then upto the trig point to the left. From there its a freestyle route (there are 3-4 ways you could probably go) back to the club. Id say that last section is probably the easiest of the lot. (ps - I'm telling you all this making an assumption the route has not changed mind - ive not seen the maps / route notes and stuff for a couple of years)

Found it no bother this morning, cheers mate. Not sure how I missed it!

Thanks for entering this years Sunderland Strollers Urban Ultra (Full or Relay). We have a record entry this year but still space for a few more if you know of anyone who may be interested. As you will have hopefully realised we're running on Armistice Day, all participants are asked to pause their race for 2 minutes at 11am to remember the fallen.

All of the important details have now been uploaded to our website (sunderlandstrollers.co.uk) and any last minute details will also be placed there so it's worth checking in the run up to the event.

Our checkpoint manager has an enthusiastic team of volunteers to greet you at each of the checkpoints. There will be a minimum of water and snacks at every one, CP3 is the main one as that is also the handover point for the Relay participants. If there is anything special that you need/must have then please bring it (clearly labelled with your name and the CP where is needs to be) to Race HQ before the start and we'll ensure that it is waiting for you at the relevant CP.

We will be keen to start as promptly as we can at 0830; however, this will only be possible if we've been able to check everyones kit before the start. Race HQ will be manned from 0730, the earlier we get everyone checked the more chance of a prompt start. The compulsory kit is there for your safety and we will not allow you to start if you do not have a complete set. Second leg relay runners will be checked last to ensure that we can get away on time. They will then be ferried by minibus to the handover point.

On completion you will all be provided with a hot meal (including vegitarian option) and tea/coffee. First leg runners will be brought back to Race HQ. There will be access to showers at Race HQ, the bar will be open so we would be delighted if the early finishers stayed around to cheer in the later runners.

After presenting prizes we'll be turning Race HQ into a Stroller Social with entertainment from The Budding, Bopping, Belching Blues Band so why not stick around and make an evening of it, the bar will, of course, be open.

Looking forward to seeing you all on the 11th.

Oh yes. I had to laugh at 'cross back and forth across the stream'. More like plodge straight through.
I just walked straight through it last year.

Bit breezy at the xcountry today. Still enjoying it though. Great encouragement by the supporters.

Got lapped by a few of the speedies.

Better than the match still.....

Whats the name of the physio at Coxhoe lads? Any other recommends for a 2nd opinion, cheers
Neil sleeman, don’t let them palm you off with somebody else . £44 mind mate but worth a go . I saw him last week bout my calf .
The best Physio I ever seen mind was a lass called Penny at the performance clinic Sunderland but she only works their part time as she runs a clinic in low fell also , she’s Physio for the GB paralympics team , she’s really hard to get hold of though.
Hope you get sorted mate

Last edited:
Neil sleeman, don’t let them palm you off with somebody else . £44 mind mate but worth a go . I saw him last week bout my calf .
The best Physio I ever seen mind was a lass called Penny at the performance clinic Sunderland but she only works their part time as she runs a clinic in low fell also , she’s Physio for the GB paralympics team , she’s really hard to get hold of though.
Hope you get sorted mate
Trevor is meant to be pretty good too.

Back