Running Thread 2017

OK. Goals for the year...

Plan is to focus on longer distances rather than 10k and less.

So, half marathon in 73 mins, marathon sub 2:45 and something respectable in The Wall for 69 miles.

Probably most important to enjoy the years running with a good crowd of like minded people and eat lots of curries, burgers and chocolate washed down with the beers.

And being injury free.

2016 was OK'ish... pbs at the shorter distances so now focus more on the longer races.

And you mate, you turning out at Herrington next week ? Think I'll run it and give the Burnley match a miss :)
I was going to mate but last 3-4 days got a pain in foot, decided gonna have bit rest and see if it clears , so won't know til back end of week but bit doubtful now , Shame as wanted to get more involved . Great start to the year :lol:

I only started running again after years of neglect a year ago and if someone had said I would run a sub 24 min parkrun, numerous 10ks and run a half marathon I wouldve laughed in their face.

Being part of a running group has helped an awful lot with the variety it brings as well as meeting other runners.

The running group is associated with North Shields Poly so my aim is to join them so it will allow me to compete in the harrier league next year. I wont be quick but from what I have seen it looks great.

My goal this year is to regulary run sub 24 min parkruns, sub 50 min 10k and a 1hr 50 half.

So, half marathon in 73 mins, marathon sub 2:45 and something respectable in The Wall for 69 miles.

Probably most important to enjoy the years running with a good crowd of like minded people and eat lots of curries, burgers and chocolate washed down with the beers.

And being injury free.

2016 was OK'ish... pbs at the shorter distances so now focus more on the longer races.
They are decent times that you are aiming for, what is your fastest 10k please?

Started my year with a nice easy half marathon today, just jogged were ever my feet took me, 1st half probs 8min mileing and 2nd half 7.10min mileing, felt quite easy today and I just hope I can stay injury free this year, lots of slow miles I think is the trick

My wish list is a sub 32.30 10k (hopefully North Tyneside or Blyth around Easter), sub 73 half at Edinburgh in May and a sub 16 5k (probs in a track race in summer). If I can tick those off I'll have a look at a marathon in 2018.

Good luck lads and lasses
I did 15:57, 32:47 and 1:14:00 within a couple of months in 2016 so all those are very close to what you are looking at. All on the back of marathon training over spring then faster stuff in the summer. Good luck... injury free I am sure you can do it.

That's a brilliant time for 10k
Thanks. Should probably join a club at some point :)

I did 15:57, 32:47 and 1:14:00 within a couple of months in 2016 so all those are very close to what you are looking at. All on the back of marathon training over spring then faster stuff in the summer. Good luck... injury free I am sure you can do it.

Cheers, our PBs are very similar. I'm at 16.03, 32.52 and 74.04. I did all mine in a little purple patch last spring. Hoping for another this spring.

Best of luck yourself

I'm injured :cry:. pain in the heel. i was running every other day but just going to rest. Probably going to have to pull out of London marathon. will focus on cycling in the mean time.

And being injury free.

You should be closer to 2:30 rather than 2:45

In October I did the Oxford Half Marathon in 2:23. My goal this year is to get the time down to 2:10 in a timed event (hopefully GNR). I haven't been out for a run in over a week and now carrying extra weight since following Christmas (but still healthy weight) so will have a gentle 10/11km tomorrow to blow the conwebs off.

Started my year with a nice easy half marathon today, just jogged were ever my feet took me, 1st half probs 8min mileing and 2nd half 7.10min mileing, felt quite easy today and I just hope I can stay injury free this year, lots of slow miles I think is the trick
Good luck mate , you deserve a change in luck..
I hurt my foot last week so no running this week , great start to 2017...

I did 15:57, 32:47 and 1:14:00 within a couple of months in 2016

Yeah you should , your times are too good not to mate , where you based ?

Good luck mate , you deserve a change in luck..
I hurt my foot last week so no running this week , great start to 2017...

Fletch I think you deserve a change in luck aswell mate, what up with the foot is it something quick out another lay off?
I'm achy of yesterday but in going to hav a stretch later once the match is finished and go do a very easy 4 tonight, I'm going to use January as a very slow easy month and just build up the miles and try to stay injury free

Steady 12km this morning at 6min/km. I was surprised how easy it was when I finished, could have definitely gone on for longer. Whey, easy apart from the first 10 minutes when I went arse over bloody tit on a slippery path. Luckily no-one saw, which I'm pleased about because it was a proper comedy fall. :lol:

Goals for this year are to complete my 1st attempt at an ultra (30 miles)

I beat my PB for every distance except 5K last year so once the ultra is over I'm probably going to spend some time specifically training for 5K.

My goal for this year is 10km. Not setting a time limit for it atm. Starting the C25K tomorrow again - tried it last year until I got lazy and ill. Probably start on week 5 or 6 and get going and once I've done the 5km, going to step up to the 10km.

Back