Running Thread 2017

Interesting that out of the top4 men runners at yesterday XC Sherman cup , 3 of them are triathletes rather than out n out runners .
Carl Avery / Dan Jenkin/ Connor Franks

Neil sleeman, don’t let them palm you off with somebody else . £44 mind mate but worth a go . I saw him last week bout my calf .
The best Physio I ever seen mind was a lass called Penny at the performance clinic Sunderland but she only works their part time as she runs a clinic in low fell also , she’s Physio for the GB paralympics team , she’s really hard to get hold of though.
Hope you get sorted mate
Trevor Underwood at PPPT has helped be too, would rate him and Neil highly. Never seen any of the others.

My coach sees Penny, he must use contacts from his hey day to get appointments. Mind he’s been injured for about 3 years!

He’s definitely trying to go down that route as I got told while back by a fellow runner , he’s shit hot runner so I’m assuming he’s not a good swimmer ??
Terrible. I seen his result from ponteland triathlon. I think he came second. Think it's aimed at beginners though

Is there anywhere that will recommend you the best type of running shoes for you personally ? I remember someone telling me a while back they went into a shop and ran on a treadmill while someone monitored their style of running and from that they could recommend the best suited shoe for you

Is there anywhere that will recommend you the best type of running shoes for you personally ? I remember someone telling me a while back they went into a shop and ran on a treadmill while someone monitored their style of running and from that they could recommend the best suited shoe for you
Start Fitness in Newcastle have these facilities.
I went to Sweatshop in York and they done exactly this but it's shut down now think there is one in Newcastle tho.

to be fair theyre at the top in most ne races i think
true mate, nice to see lads at the top who don't look scrawny and at deaths door though :lol:

why were standards better 20 year back in races than they are now ? I run socially with a few older runners and they always going on about how standards have dropped, and what is deemed as a top time now would have been the norm when they were racing ? read an article recently by Steve Jones (former world record marathon holder) and he was saying almost exactly the sae thing, take away Mo Farah obviously, but at most levels standards have slipped in this country, yet we have more gadgets/technology, more knowledge, better trainers etc ?
anyone ?

Last edited:
true mate, nice to see lads at the top who don't look scrawny and at deaths door though :lol:

why were standards better 20 year back in races than they are now ? I run socially with a few older runners and they always going on about how standards have dropped, and what is deemed as a top time now would have been the norm when they were racing ? read an article recently by Steve Jones (former world record marathon holder) and he was saying almost exactly the sae thing, take away Mo Farah obviously, but at most levels standards have slipped in this country, yet we have more gadgets/technology, more knowledge, better trainers etc ?
anyone ?
If you could figure out the simple solution you'd be a rich fella :) From 800m's upward UK elite times (men's especially) are crap compared with say 30 years ago - that's track and road. If you look at crazy stuff like 100M races the times they ran in the 80's are much faster than now. Even general club runners are slower - pretty sure I saw some old race results (late 70's i think) for a local 10M race where the top 100 or so were sub 60 mins - now you'd do well to get 20. I know there was a group that trained together in the NE made up of various clubs and a 2:20 mara runner one of the slower ones. There has been a definite switch from serious to hobby runners, people who aren't bothered about times, not really anyway, they just want to complete the race and get a poxy medal for their 'medal rack' and a new tech T-shirt. In one way its good that so many people are active but in terms of competitive performances std's have dropped massively.

anyone ?
Yeah, it is mad, some 80s runners in flimsy HiTec shoes, shorts and bra vest far outrunning todays runners in a lot of cases. Could be down to our gradual decline of physical jobs, maybe routes weren't measured as accurate then as today. No athletics in a lot of school curriculums now, my boy doesn't do cross country runs which we did. Maybe the modern attitude where people have to have an excuse for not being so good? A lot more activities these days for people being diverted away from running around a track or muddy field? Also the diet was better or worse in 80s depending on your point of view. Pies and chips rather than a tossed avocado salad haha

Not sure if this will work but I occasionally get random offers on FB. I got one from these a few weeks back for supports that help with Plantar Fasciitis and they turned up next day for a quid. (I have Amazon Prime).
They've sent this one today for a knee support for a quid so I'm going to get it. If it works for anybody else, fill your boots.
Wouldn't say they were the greatest quality but for a pound they are well worth it.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=545379969149766&id=211031105917989

Not sure if this will work but I occasionally get random offers on FB. I got one from these a few weeks back for supports that help with Plantar Fasciitis and they turned up next day for a quid. (I have Amazon Prime).
They've sent this one today for a knee support for a quid so I'm going to get it. If it works for anybody else, fill your boots.
Wouldn't say they were the greatest quality but for a pound they are well worth it.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=545379969149766&id=211031105917989
Not for me but let us know other offers

If you could figure out the simple solution you'd be a rich fella :) From 800m's upward UK elite times (men's especially) are crap compared with say 30 years ago - that's track and road. If you look at crazy stuff like 100M races the times they ran in the 80's are much faster than now. Even general club runners are slower - pretty sure I saw some old race results (late 70's i think) for a local 10M race where the top 100 or so were sub 60 mins - now you'd do well to get 20. I know there was a group that trained together in the NE made up of various clubs and a 2:20 mara runner one of the slower ones. There has been a definite switch from serious to hobby runners, people who aren't bothered about times, not really anyway, they just want to complete the race and get a poxy medal for their 'medal rack' and a new tech T-shirt. In one way its good that so many people are active but in terms of competitive performances std's have dropped massively.

That's partly down to just the sheer number of races available now. I'd be willing to bet that without even having to get out of bed you could book a race within 150 miles of your postcode for almost every week of the year. The variety of races is a factor as well. I know a few people who used to post good times at "shorter"
events without ever threatening the top places but now they only do ultras.

The other side of it of course is that there just aren't the number of younger runners coming through, of any standard. There seems to be an increasing number of races with vets in the top 10. My local club has had to expand its age categories & even then there's currently only 1 male & 1 female runner taking part in the club championship in an age category that now stretches from 18 to 39 & they're both in their 30s.

Back