Running Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

2nd fastest 6k in 28.01 and only 3 seconds off my best. Hardly any pain in the knee while running or least no different to befoe the injury. Just aches a bit now and doesn't really hurt.

Icing after a run and going to try 7k on wednesday. Hopefully back on target soon enough.

calf feels sore again, anybody had a calf strain before? talk to older runners and get usual "its just cramp/tightness etc, run through it" but i'm concerned summit small going to turn into a 6 week layoff so unsure whether to bite bullet and take a week out completely then an easy week returning
I got pain in the calf when i got up to about 8k, 5 years ago and started wearing compression socks (still do) it made a massive difference to me and stopped the pain and tightness

Last edited:
Just come back from 16.1 miles about an hour ago and I feel like utter shite. It's my first time going over HM distance and it was a proper struggle the last 2/3 miles.

Feel a bit fed up tbh because I really wanted to go after a Marathon but I really don't think I could do 16/17/18 every week.

Just come back from 16.1 miles about an hour ago and I feel like utter shite. It's my first time going over HM distance and it was a proper struggle the last 2/3 miles.

Feel a bit fed up tbh because I really wanted to go after a Marathon but I really don't think I could do 16/17/18 every week.
16 miles is a canny way. You are bound to feel tired. Just go for a marathon. Its not that bad if you are already up to 16 miles. You could do about 25 miles a week for a few weeks to see how you feel. Do three 5 miles and then one ten mile run. That way you get the miles in without too much pain.

I know a good few that have done it - not the greatest route and not the easiest nav unless you have recce'd it. Very runnable but certainly not flat - winning time probably sub 7 hrs and can attract a decent level of runner. (if it were 'flat' it would be best part of an our quicker probably) I think its on decent trails in the most - pretty hard packed stuff.

DNF’d at 26 miles after a miserable limping walk for the last 5 or so miles.
Well organised race but very easy to get lost so the available Wainwright style maps essential.
Only £16 so at 32p mile it’s great value.

I always think compression socks are a short term fix though , just my opinion mind

Same here. They're ok to help with initial comeback from a calf inury but they're no substitute for dealing with an underlying problem imho.

General rule of thumb to start marathon training is to be comfortable with a weekly mileage total of 20+ per week & to be comfortable with a long run of 10 miles. Once you start a 16 week program you'll build up gradually & after doing, for example, a 16 mile long run 1 week most programmes will have you doing a 13 or 14 mile long run the next week & then you increase the distance to say 18 miles the week after that. It's not all about just slogging the monotonous miles out either. Most if not all weeks you'll do 3 or more different types of run at different paces.

Last edited:
Same here. They're ok to help with initial comeback from a calf inury but they're no substitute for dealing with an underlying problem imho.

General rule of thumb to start marathon training is to be comfortable with a weekly mileage total of 20+ per week & to be comfortable with a long run of 10 miles. Once you start a 16 week program you'll build up gradually & after doing, for example, a 16 mile long run 1 week most programmes will have you doing a 13 or 14 mile long run the next week & then you increase the distance to say 18 miles the week after that. It's not all about just slogging the monotonous miles out either. Most if not all weeks you'll do 3 or more different types of run at different paces.

Nice one thats good advice, cheers. I've seen them 16 week plans but I think I was bit naive to think I could do the entire training without following a plan. I'll give it a look.

lads on here would do you a plan if stuck i'm sure , can think of a coupe I know on here who are good runners

Anyone up early on Saturday to enter the Brass Monkey half in York next January. Entries open at 6am and it usually sells out (near 2000 spots) in half an hour. I’ve never managed to get in yet, hoping for some success this time !

Anyone done Sedgefield parkrun & if so is it most suitable for roadies, trailers or spikes?

Anyone up early on Saturday to enter the Brass Monkey half in York next January. Entries open at 6am and it usually sells out (near 2000 spots) in half an hour. I’ve never managed to get in yet, hoping for some success this time !

Aye. Only just squeaked in last year. Seems to be a lot of organised queueing where a group will all open a session each & 1st to the front gets them for the whole group.

Last edited:
DNF’d at 26 miles after a miserable limping walk for the last 5 or so miles.
Well organised race but very easy to get lost so the available Wainwright style maps essential.
Only £16 so at 32p mile it’s great value.
bad luck - I did say nav wasn't straight forward

this was on my radar mate as have never properly raced a HM , just did GNR with mates twice donkeys years ago, always fancied trying that one, but had niggly calf last couple week so prob wont bother. I had also wanted another crack at Carlisle Brampton 10miler next month and thats down the shitter now :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back