Running Thread 2017

I don't know him but a quick google shows he was/is quick!

http://archive.tri247.com/index.php...splay&display=results_participant&id=389704&%

Ex sun city.

Was your mate on a mtb?
that's the fella, aye http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=3737

my mate was on a hybrid type bike , but he's just as strong on a bike as he is a runner ( 15:40 5k, 53min 10mile), he's been cycling a lot as has a niggle running so just invited me along.... never again though, I just spent the whole hour trying to catch up, was ridiculous:lol:

just a m0untain bike mate, although can and do use it on roads... don't have a racer though.

with not running much i've been out on bike couple times recently and went out with one of the harriers couple of weeks back, this lad dropped me within 5minutes, if he could swim he'd be shit hot at triathlons, said when he was younger he use to train on the bike with a Tom Doughty (ex-harrier) who was a GB standard triathlete and low 15min 5k runner , dunno if you know him or not ? have noticed couple of the top morpeth lads have moved into triathlons.

@MagicRat , was talkin to lee and he mentioned you're calf been playing up ? whats crack ?
Was getting pain in right calf when I pushed off or whenever my momentum changed (particularly corners and hills). Was still running but had to stop sessions.

Tried all the usual self help stuff with no success. So after 3 weeks I finally stumped up to see that physio at Coxhoe again, he fixed it in 20 mins and I've been fine since. Looking forward to coastal run on Sunday now.

Lost 3 weeks of training though from being a tight get :)

Anyone doing the Durham City 10k tonight? I was hoping for a decent time as I had been flying up until Monday then my back has gone off again. Looks like I will be ibobfofen assisted tonight
Yeah i done it, thought it was a good run it's only the second one i have done. Looking to get some more booked in soon. How did the back hold up?

Yeah i done it, thought it was a good run it's only the second one i have done. Looking to get some more booked in soon. How did the back hold up?
My back was ok cheers but I thought the course was quite tough, it was really hilly (even some of the really steep downhills were hard on the legs), loads of twists and turns. Imo there were too many runners so I found congestion more or less all the way round. Then towards the end there were loads of stragglers from the 5k, a fact that made one of the marshalls pull a barrier down in front of me causing me to go flying to the floor , cos she she was trying to keep the 2 runs segregated. Luckily I escaped injury, I finished on 48.47 which was well over a minute slower than my pb.

My back was ok cheers but I thought the course was quite tough, it was really hilly (even some of the really steep downhills were hard on the legs), loads of twists and turns. Imo there were too many runners so I found congestion more or less all the way round. Then towards the end there were loads of stragglers from the 5k, a fact that made one of the marshalls pull a barrier down in front of me causing me to go flying to the floor , cos she she was trying to keep the 2 runs segregated. Luckily I escaped injury, I finished on 48.47 which was well over a minute slower than my pb.
Still a very good time for that course, i finished 57:08 which is slower than my first 10k 56:57 earlier this month at Great North 10K so i was slightly disappointed, but i did enjoy the Durham on better for some reason. It was very hilly with a lot of twists and turns i think it's only the 2nd year Durham have done it so they will be looking to improve it again for next year.

Was getting pain in right calf when I pushed off or whenever my momentum changed (particularly corners and hills). Was still running but had to stop sessions.

Tried all the usual self help stuff with no success. So after 3 weeks I finally stumped up to see that physio at Coxhoe again, he fixed it in 20 mins and I've been fine since. Looking forward to coastal run on Sunday now.

Lost 3 weeks of training though from being a tight get :)
No bother.

Anyone doing the Durham City 10k tonight? I was hoping for a decent time as I had been flying up until Monday then my back has gone off again. Looks like I will be ibobfofen assisted tonight

I did it! I love Durham so I enjoyed the route and scenery and it was nice hearing the church bells. It was tough though with all the hills and cobbles. Agree that the splits could have been better organised as several people were asking others if they were running in the right direction. Hate those squeezy water pouch things too and would prefer a bottle. Still really enjoyed it overall though.

For people who have done both, is the GNR route easier or harder than the Sunderland Half Marathon route?
Harder I think. There's an overall elevation drop in the GNR so some think it's easy but there's some steady climbing in it around heworth and John Reid road. The Sunderland route is pretty flat and steady and easier to get into a rhythm I think

I did it! I love Durham so I enjoyed the route and scenery and it was nice hearing the church bells. It was tough though with all the hills and cobbles. Agree that the splits could have been better organised as several people were asking others if they were running in the right direction. Hate those squeezy water pouch things too and would prefer a bottle. Still really enjoyed it overall though.

Nee stalkers this time?

Harder I think. There's an overall elevation drop in the GNR so some think it's easy but there's some steady climbing in it around heworth and John Reid road. The Sunderland route is pretty flat and steady and easier to get into a rhythm I think

GNR is definitely harder. Sunderland is after my spring peak & as long as I haven't been injured I clock a faster time there than on the GNR which I usually specifically train for as my Autumn peak. The John Reid Road seems to drain me every time.

I'm not usually one for these 'heartwarming let's all remind ourselves of the power of human kindness' posts,but this happened to me this morning on my run and I thought it was worth sharing:

Picture the scene, it's 6am and I'm sitting on a garden wall absolutely hanging out my arse after my morning run. A bloke around my age is walking towards me with a pram, the baby is howling away and he's trying to ignore the sound he's obviously been listening to all night.

As he gets to me, he sits down on the wall.

'How far have you been mate?' He asks

'Just done five miles'

'How long you been running?'

'Took it up a couple of months ago, my goal is to hit 10k'

'You'll get there mate, it's hard when you first start increasing your distances but so rewarding when you reach them. Sounds to me like you're doing really well already'

'Cheers mate, kind of you to say so......so how old is the little one?'

'He's five months'

'How long have you been up?'

'Since half four, I've got work in two hours. Can't wait till we get to the point when he's sleeping through'

'You'll get there mate. I guess to use a running analogy, raising a kid is always like trying to push for the next distance. The only problem is you're trying to do it with two pulled hamstrings, uphill, against the wind and carrying a sodding baby who will do everything it possibly can to slow you down. It's really bloody hard. And just you wait till he start teething, you'll f***ing HATE that...... Anyway, nice chat'

And with that I got up and walked off, leaving him crying on the wall. But what a lovely bloke to stop and give me some encouragement, goes to show there are still some nice people about.

Spot on cheers.

Bit of unusual injury advice please.
Been out of action on and off for best part of three years due to a mixture of injury and illness. Now training for GNR following a proper schedule and going out four times a week. I'm just plodding and not pushing myself at all but a couple weeks back my left calf felt ridiculously tight. It was a struggle each time I went out.
I used a variety of stretches, foam rolling etc and felt good enough to go out on Thursday but had to give up after three miles with a pain in the back of my knee.
Went out yesterday with knee support on and managed a slow 10k but pain still there and still was when I got up this morning.
This is where it gets weird. I've accidentally stood on an adapter on the floor and stumbled but something has clicked and the pain has gone. I'm not naive enough to believe it is cured and I'm going to continue to wear the knee support when I go out but is there anything else I should be doing or looking out for?

Been out of action on and off for best part of three years due to a mixture of injury and illness. Now training for GNR following a proper schedule and going out four times a week. I'm just plodding and not pushing myself at all but a couple weeks back my left calf felt ridiculously tight. It was a struggle each time I went out.
I used a variety of stretches, foam rolling etc and felt good enough to go out on Thursday but had to give up after three miles with a pain in the back of my knee.
Went out yesterday with knee support on and managed a slow 10k but pain still there and still was when I got up this morning.
This is where it gets weird. I've accidentally stood on an adapter on the floor and stumbled but something has clicked and the pain has gone. I'm not naive enough to believe it is cured and I'm going to continue to wear the knee support when I go out but is there anything else I should be doing or looking out for?

just keep standing on plug adapters and you will be fine.

I have a problem with the back of my knee also it feels very swollen and stiff when I sit for periods of time, I have been running on it for about 2 weeks now and its fine when I run, I have no clues whats going on with it but I just keep stretching and icing and its not stopping me running yet and I did a hard session yesterday on it and its no worse, but I am resting today just incase

Last edited:

Back