Running Thread 2017

On to the 4th week of the Runner's World basic Marathon training plan. Enjoying it but what has surprised me is the lack of tempo runs...after the first few weeks there aren't any - just hills, speed, steady and even some fartlek. Thought tempo runs were pretty vital?

On to the 4th week of the Runner's World basic Marathon training plan. Enjoying it but what has surprised me is the lack of tempo runs...after the first few weeks there aren't any - just hills, speed, steady and even some fartlek. Thought tempo runs were pretty vital?
I would do hills or tempo. So to me it sounds fine.

I'm a 3 times a week runner. Usually 5 or 6 mile. If I did 10 mile a week before would you advise me to do any more that wk?
Aye i would still run

If you just looking to get round personally I don't think you need anything but base work depending on how many miles a week you doing. I doing heart rate training and only come out of zone 2 for one run a week and have only really started doing that now I pushing 50 miles a week. Hoping to build a good base to then build upon with other training. Maybe some hill runs if the marathon you doing is hilly as it engage different muscles but apart from that I'm all about being the tortoise not the hare in training.

I'm a 3 times a week runner. Usually 5 or 6 mile. If I did 10 mile a week before would you advise me to do any more that wk?
Tbh if you're running that regular then you should be OK anyway doing the Gnr. The only advantage of doing a 10 miler before the run is more psychological imo.

whatsit like there mate ? went Dubrovnik few week back and fancy seeing more of Croatia

pula old town..rocky beaches...friendly locals...cheapish food/drink...90 degrees everyday...boat trips...first time to croatia and heading back tomorrow. good time, locals try really hard, not a whiff of getting ripped off. would recommend though, id guess, more a beach type hol than visiting dubrovnik.

a
Tbh if you're running that regular then you should be OK anyway doing the Gnr. The only advantage of doing a 10 miler before the run is more psychological imo.

agreed. just get upto a 10 miler then race day experience will get you around the extra 3 miles.

Last edited:
Did my first couple of treadmill runs last week. Managed 4K in 30 mins which I was okay with it and managed to up it to 4.1k the next session :lol:. The aim is 5k in 30.

Haven't managed to get in the gym this week coz we got a puppy at the weeekend so I feel terrible going in the gym when my lass is off work with the dog this week. Had a game of footy last night for an hour though and hobbling like a Granda today!

Anybody doing the Sunderland 5k tonight at silky ? Very fast course if it isn't windy so should be ideal tonight for anyone interested

I only did it the once and ballsed it up, would love another go at it

What's the best way to get up to 10k in 30 mins? At the min I'm starting on about 7.5km a min and by the time I'm finishing I'm onto about 9.5km a min. Am I better of going that way or starting off at 10km an hour and seeing how long I can go for and reducing?

What's the best way to get up to 10k in 30 mins? At the min I'm starting on about 7.5km a min and by the time I'm finishing I'm onto about 9.5km a min. Am I better of going that way or starting off at 10km an hour and seeing how long I can go for and reducing?
Ask mo farah. Some ask that

I've run in adidas, new balance, brooks, puma and asics. Do most of my running in adidas boost because they're mega light but always found asics to be most comfortable and cushioned.

Their best shoes tend to be named after clouds. . cumulus, nimbus

Just ordered a pair of asics cumulus for £40 after trying some on today. Free returns so I'll give them a punt. Comfy as owt though.

Back