Running Thread 2017

Done it too mate, great run. Enjoyed it more than usual this year as it was quite cool. Been very warm in the past
Very wet. Didn't even bother going to Alnmouth club for a pint. Will rectify that later though! Was that you running for Elvett?

I did the coastal as well and thought it was great. Couldve done with trail shoes in places, but never gave it a 2nd thought of wearing those.

Great support and crack on the way round too.

Was supposed to be having a few beers in alnmouth with my club but was soaked through and the missus looked fed up so went straight home.

Doing the fell em doon 10k on wednesday as well.

Depends - I got pretty fed up of wading through clarts! Has put me off giving XC a go this season.

Happy enough with time despite how ridiculous the course was in places.
Yeah, it was bad around Dunstanburgh and past that farm about 9 mile. At least in XC you'd have spikes on though

I did the coastal as well and thought it was great. Couldve done with trail shoes in places, but never gave it a 2nd thought of wearing those.

Great support and crack on the way round too.

Was supposed to be having a few beers in alnmouth with my club but was soaked through and the missus looked fed up so went straight home.

Doing the fell em doon 10k on wednesday as well.
Same here, every time if ran that race previous it's been bone dry and canny hot

Bit of unusual injury advice please.
Been out of action on and off for best part of three years due to a mixture of injury and illness. Now training for GNR following a proper schedule and going out four times a week. I'm just plodding and not pushing myself at all but a couple weeks back my left calf felt ridiculously tight. It was a struggle each time I went out.
I used a variety of stretches, foam rolling etc and felt good enough to go out on Thursday but had to give up after three miles with a pain in the back of my knee.
Went out yesterday with knee support on and managed a slow 10k but pain still there and still was when I got up this morning.
This is where it gets weird. I've accidentally stood on an adapter on the floor and stumbled but something has clicked and the pain has gone. I'm not naive enough to believe it is cured and I'm going to continue to wear the knee support when I go out but is there anything else I should be doing or looking out for?
Could be as simple as that, your body could have been out of alignment.

I took up running in March bought a pair of running trainers Nike Zoom Winflo 3 which have been a canny pair but they have now started to wear on the top where my big toe would be. So i'm looking for a new pair of running trainers which would hopefully last longer. I've built up over the last few months and now do around 15 mile a week but i'm wanting to continue increasing that more. Anyone have any recommendation about where to go to get some advice for the best trainers to get? Or anyone have any recommendation of trainers?

I've been running well recently and improving. I ran a 5k race last week & got a PB 22:15, but in the process hurt my Achilles. I've got the GNR in 6 weeks is that doable?
(Its eased the last few days but I'm still limping. I'm icing the tendon, foam rolling, stretching & massaging so will stop running for 2 weeks.)

I've been running well recently and improving. I ran a 5k race last week & got a PB 22:15, but in the process hurt my Achilles. I've got the GNR in 6 weeks is that doable?
(Its eased the last few days but I'm still limping. I'm icing the tendon, foam rolling, stretching & massaging so will stop running for 2 weeks.)

Personally 2 weeks is a long time. Been doing eccentric heel drops?

Is it definitely the tendon? I had Achilles pain recently that stemmed from a calf problem. A physio sorted it with about 20 mins of painful massage.

Is it definitely the tendon? I had Achilles pain recently that stemmed from a calf problem. A physio sorted it with about 20 mins of painful massage.

The pain is on the tendon above the ankle. I'll give it a week and if no improvement I'll go see a physio.
I was planning on having a sports massage any recommendations?

The pain is on the tendon above the ankle. I'll give it a week and if no improvement I'll go see a physio.
I was planning on having a sports massage any recommendations?
I used to have jo at the Westoe practice In shields. However, that was 3 years ago so she might not even be there anymore.

Back