Running Thread 2017

Just got back into running and my knees are holding out so far. One of my nails is about to drop off though, never had this problem in the past even when I was running regularly. Any advice how to treat it or avoid the others suffering the same fate?

Just got back into running and my knees are holding out so far. One of my nails is about to drop off though, never had this problem in the past even when I was running regularly. Any advice how to treat it or avoid the others suffering the same fate?
My nails are always dropping off. I don't think I'm training hard enough if I haven't got at least one nail hanging :)
I wouldn't worry about it

Not even sure I have any nails left on my feet anymore, I take care of my feet but the nails are just a mess of black and blue things

Struggled all year with my calves, they keep pulling when I'm running leaving me unable to run for 2-3 weeks after, I've barely done any training for the GNR because of it.

Felt better yesterday and had the need to run far, did 10 miles from shields to sunlun and back again, slow as owt and aching today but it felt good to get some real distance in, furthest I've ran in 2 years.

Need to up my pace now to get under 2 hours for the run, got my heart set on beating 2 hours before I'm 40 and this is my last chance.

Bigger shoes, general advice is get shoes half a size bigger than normal, also when fitting them do it as close as the time that you run as your feet get bigger over the course of the day. My smaller toes nails still seem to fall off regular though even with theis advice but all the others holding out fine on 50+ mile weeks.

Dark Skies @ Kielder entered anyone else doing it?

Last edited:
How do people keep their motivation? I'm up to about 15 miles a week at a reasonable pace, and so far avoiding injuries beyond the little niggles that make me rest a few days.

And whilst I'm enjoying it now I'm conscious that the motivation may start to slip, what can I do to keep things interesting?

How do people keep their motivation? I'm up to about 15 miles a week at a reasonable pace, and so far avoiding injuries beyond the little niggles that make me rest a few days.

And whilst I'm enjoying it now I'm conscious that the motivation may start to slip, what can I do to keep things interesting?
Race, mix up your training.

Mine is waning majorly with about 5/6 weeks out until the GNR.
I'm pretty confident in the knowledge I wont get my 2 hour target which i'm a bit gutted about.
I've got a spin class booked tonight for the first time which I'm hoping I enjoy.

Not sure how motivated I am each day, have more made it a habit change, wake up earlier get up get out and get it done without really thinking about it.

Not sure how motivated I am each day, have more made it a habit change, wake up earlier get up get out and get it done without really thinking about it.

That's where I'm at currently. It's part of my routine now. But that's in the nice summer months. I'm looking at weatherproofing at the moment hopefully while stuff is cheap.

Maybe it's that the initial leaps in improvement at slow steps forward.

My motivation comes from if I did not run I would be fat as feck, the amount of scran I enjoy I need to run

Back