Running Thread 2017

Unbelievable achievement. Bet he's ready for a lie down.
Brilliant. My mate just finished the 200. We ran through the night to support. That was enough for me!

My mate's doing the Hardmoor 112 mile race later. Mental. He's hoping to do it in about 30 hours.
You can track the runners on here, it gets quite addictive watching them.
http://event.opentracking.co.uk/hardmoors17/
Mental all of them. My mate just finished the 200. Just under 60 hours. We did about 5 hours supporting/tail running throughout last night. Its amazing how they keep going.

Anybody doing the St Cutherberts? I fancy giving it a go.

Last edited:

Brilliant. My mate just finished the 200. We ran through the night to support. That was enough for me!

Mental all of them. My mate just finished the 200. Just under 60 hours. We did about 5 hours supporting/tail running throughout last night. Its amazing how they keep going.

Anybody doing the St Cutherberts? I fancy giving it a go.

Kept going on the live tracking for both the Hardmoors 100/200. Fantastic effort.

Haven't done St Cuthberts but have the Hardmoors 55 and planning to do Round Rotherham 50 with ultimate aim to do a 100 in 2018.

Kept going on the live tracking for both the Hardmoors 100/200. Fantastic effort.

Haven't done St Cuthberts but have the Hardmoors 55 and planning to do Round Rotherham 50 with ultimate aim to do a 100 in 2018.
Don't fancy 100. But the 55 is im my plans. Will let you know what St Cuthbert's is like.

:lol:
From what little I've heard he's tired but in good shape. After the coast to coast I don't think he could speak or put one foot in front of the other. Having said that, he was in the pub with us the day after as if nowt was wrong.
There was a lot of people doing it and I'd be surprised if there was nobody from here. I was talking to his lass a while back after he'd won some ultra run and had been speaking to someone off here, I think @Bagpuss maybe. I couldn't explain how I knew him and just mumbled 'the internet'.:lol:

Was crewing a pal yesterday and saw your pal at the finish, he looked in great shape. Did the HM110 as part of the Grandslam in 2014 and it is an absolute beast, with over 20,000ft of climb and the same in descent. To really blow your mind the new course record was set at 19hrs 30 ish.

But then the real mentalists go going....With it being the 10th Anniversary of the HM110 they put on a special event, the Hardmoors 200. This started in Hull, did the Wolds Way to Filey (90 miles) then added the Hardmoors 110 on to the end....The climb is around 30,000ft......The winner got a mind blowing 45hrs 59 minutes so 2 x sub 24 hour hundred miles back to back on brutal terrain. The winning lady managed it in another staggering time of 52hrs...

Sorry, but I found my limit at 114 miles........Did manage a sub 24 hour 100 miles when ran the C2C Ultra in 2014 but that was largely tarmac so much easier, sadly got injured and had to drop out at Consett.

Don't fancy 100. But the 55 is im my plans. Will let you know what St Cuthbert's is like.

The 55 is my favourite half of the race as you get to do Roseberry Topping, 3 sisters from Clay Bank to Lordstones etc, a far more interesting route than the HM60.......St Cuths is quite similar to the 55 and the start on Holy Island and running over the Causeway is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was crewing a pal yesterday and saw your pal at the finish, he looked in great shape. Did the HM110 as part of the Grandslam in 2014 and it is an absolute beast, with over 20,000ft of climb and the same in descent. To really blow your mind the new course record was set at 19hrs 30 ish.

But then the real mentalists go going....With it being the 10th Anniversary of the HM110 they put on a special event, the Hardmoors 200. This started in Hull, did the Wolds Way to Filey (90 miles) then added the Hardmoors 110 on to the end....The climb is around 30,000ft......The winner got a mind blowing 45hrs 59 minutes so 2 x sub 24 hour hundred miles back to back on brutal terrain. The winning lady managed it in another staggering time of 52hrs...

Sorry, but I found my limit at 114 miles........Did manage a sub 24 hour 100 miles when ran the C2C Ultra in 2014 but that was largely tarmac so much easier, sadly got injured and had to drop out at Consett.

The 55 is my favourite half of the race as you get to do Roseberry Topping, 3 sisters from Clay Bank to Lordstones etc, a far more interesting route than the HM60.......St Cuths is quite similar to the 55 and the start on Holy Island and running over the Causeway is awesome.
Said he enjoyed the first 80 miles but hated the last 30.
TBH I admire anybody who did the Sunderland 10k so anybody who does this sort of crazy shit is mental.

Said he enjoyed the first 80 miles but hated the last 30.
TBH I admire anybody who did the Sunderland 10k so anybody who does this sort of crazy shit is mental.

Yeh it gets naughty at about 70 to 80....The last 30 smashed me to bits as my feet cut up badly in the wet (rained for the full 30 hours), was like running on glass. Be careful mate, my journey to 100s started with a run round the block in a pair of Stan Smith tennis shoes and a read of a book called Ultra Marathon Man. If you havent read it then dont, evil nasty seeds are planted into your head :eek::lol:

Aye we did from saltburn to Kildale via Roseberry Topping etc. Wish I had been there to watch him finish. Is all/most of St Cuthberts off road. I can't do roads!

Aye we did from saltburn to Kildale via Roseberry Topping etc. Wish I had been there to watch him finish. Is all/most of St Cuthberts off road. I can't do roads!

A real mixture...A few road sections but also loads of amazing off road sections, probs about 70:30 in terms of off road.....As for tarmac, switch to Hokas if you have narrow feet or Altra Olympus if you are wider and tarmac is like running on clouds. Maximalist shoes for tarmac is the way forward, even short and fast I use the Hoka racing shoes.

A real mixture...A few road sections but also loads of amazing off road sections, probs about 70:30 in terms of off road.....As for tarmac, switch to Hokas if you have narrow feet or Altra Olympus if you are wider and tarmac is like running on clouds. Maximalist shoes for tarmac is the way forward, even short and fast I use the Hoka racing shoes.
Cheers. Im currently running in La sportiva mutant for off road and Scott's for road and dry trails. Hokas might be worth a look. We do all our training off road. Our club is Derwent Valley Trail Runners.

Bit of back trouble has stopped me running the past couple of days. Very frustrating as I was getting a lot fitter again and did a fairly comfortable 1:21 HM in training last week. Stupidly then finished and in damp and cold weather I hung around for 40 minutes in kit chatting and helping out at a training session with friends. Two days later tight quad, glute and back. No coincidence.

Hopefully back on it in a day or two and a couple of long runs in before the month is out.

Cheers. Im currently running in La sportiva mutant for off road and Scott's for road and dry trails. Hokas might be worth a look. We do all our training off road. Our club is Derwent Valley Trail Runners.

i found with hoka's i had to go up a half size. even then their speedgoats were too narrow. got some ATR challenger which seem fine.
i had to sell on some scott kinabalu supertrac's as they came up atleast a whole size too small.
altra's are the best IMO.true to size. just got some olympus 1.5's for £70 from northern runner.

i found with hoka's i had to go up a half size. even then their speedgoats were too narrow. got some ATR challenger which seem fine.
i had to sell on some scott kinabalu supertrac's as they came up atleast a whole size too small.
altra's are the best IMO.true to size. just got some olympus 1.5's for £70 from northern runner.
Yip Scott definitely go up a size.

Anyone experience repetitive calf tightening/soreness when running ?
Been running on and off for a good few years now but never had this till the last 2 weeks. Now every time I run I can feel a mild tightness after about 2 miles , followed by full on 'locking' of the calves at about 3-4 miles. Could have been overdoing it of course but feels like something else. Any ideas at all ?

Anyone experience repetitive calf tightening/soreness when running ?
Been running on and off for a good few years now but never had this till the last 2 weeks. Now every time I run I can feel a mild tightness after about 2 miles , followed by full on 'locking' of the calves at about 3-4 miles. Could have been overdoing it of course but feels like something else. Any ideas at all ?
None.

Get a foam roller (the nobbly ones) bout £10 start fitness and do your calfs and hamstrings , do middle of calf as well as inner and outside , could just be muscles tight, hopefully ... when use roller stay on the spots that hurt , failing that may need a sports massage ?

Getting back into running now after a quite frankly horrendous period of shite... at the moment I'm just trying to go for a run as often as I can, I'm still slow and only running 1.5 to 3 miles a go but it really does make me feel so much better :)
woke up this morning with a rancid hangover, didn't think I'd be able to run but managed just over 1.5miles and feel great now :D

Getting back into running now after a quite frankly horrendous period of shite... at the moment I'm just trying to go for a run as often as I can, I'm still slow and only running 1.5 to 3 miles a go but it really does make me feel so much better :)
woke up this morning with a rancid hangover, didn't think I'd be able to run but managed just over 1.5miles and feel great now :D
Well just enjoy it. Don't sicken yourself off by setting unrealistic targets etc. Its great when the sun is out!!

I've only recently discovered that a run , not too hard though, is a great cure for a hangover !

Get a foam roller (the nobbly ones) bout £10 start fitness and do your calfs and hamstrings , do middle of calf as well as inner and outside , could just be muscles tight, hopefully ... when use roller stay on the spots that hurt , failing that may need a sports massage ?

Cheers. Will give the roller a go.
Wondering if it's as simple as trainers need replacing ? Clutching at straws a bit but I reckon they've done about 400 miles. Good excuse to get some new ones maybe ?

Wondering if it's as simple as trainers need replacing ? Clutching at straws a bit but I reckon they've done about 400 miles. Good excuse to get some new ones maybe ?

I used to get around 500 miles out of a pair of running shoes before I'd start getting aches & pains but for the last few years it seems to have dropped to about 350. That could well be at least partly be because of my age & me falling to bits but I've heard the same sort of figure from quite a few younger runners as well so I think quality standards have just dropped.

Back