Running Thread 2017

Did you watch this mate?
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...tant-truth-about-the-stigma-of-mental-illness

Canny inspiring seeing what people have been through and how running helped them. It's on iPlayer, definitely worth a watch.
Some had depression, some had other issues. Every one of them different but the one consistent factor was that running helped.
Certainly made me stop twisting about my poorly knee.:lol:

I saw a bit of the first episode mate.

Running certainly helps me I find. I feel better and more confident in myself, when I was fitter I was a lot happier.

Went for one last night with a work colleague, took it steady and ran 5 miles or so. I feel like I'm slowly catching the running bug again, as I feel less like I have to force myself and actually want to go out.

My sciatica has flared up again just in time for the Sunderland 10k next week. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal or eliminate it?
Pilates is meant to be good for sciatica. I've just started a class for general core strength. My problems were piriformis related, the muscle had knotted around my sciatic nerve which caused the discomfort. Best of luck

Pilates is meant to be good for sciatica. I've just started a class for general core strength. My problems were piriformis related, the muscle had knotted around my sciatic nerve which caused the discomfort. Best of luck
Pilates meant to be very good (or yoga), it's just finding the time !

What's people's thoughts on wearing orthotics for running ?

5.5 miles tonight, wasn't going to have a run tonight but fancied it once the kids were in bed. Pace is still quite slow but I'm focusing on just increasing my mileage at the minute. Hadn't ran for a while until recently so every little helps.

Ordered some new running trainers today as well so if anyone smells burnt rubber over the weekend it's just me absolutely pegging it all over.

haven't you just bought some ? I used to wear them but changed my running style over the last 18 mths or so and now I don't bother. I think they are (in some cases) an easy option for the physio.......
Heel rises. Just 6mm in the right shoe

I don't believe in them.
heel rises are similar dan, both altering your gait...

I never ever worn orthotics, but aware overpronate and flat feet, got bad Achilles injury 2-3yr back and got put into orthotics and had one injury after another since then...
playing final throw of the dice and gonna wean myself off orthotics over next couple weeks then re-try running and see what happens from there

if doesn't work gonna get an allotment

Edit... good luck anybody doing sunderland half or 10k sunday , hopefully weather canny

Last edited:
What's people's thoughts on wearing orthotics for running ?

Not sure. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in my left foot earlier in the year & given an orthotic for it which helped with the foot pain but got pains in my ankle & knee on that side whenever I ran with it in. Taking it out mid run would get me through the rest of the run without pain but then pay for it with foot pain afterwards. Maybe just a poor orthotic although it was supposed to be a custom one.

Not sure. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in my left foot earlier in the year & given an orthotic for it which helped with the foot pain but got pains in my ankle & knee on that side whenever I ran with it in. Taking it out mid run would get me through the rest of the run without pain but then pay for it with foot pain afterwards. Maybe just a poor orthotic although it was supposed to be a custom one.
Go and see neil sleeman at platinum physio, sorted my PF.

ha - well that's an orthotic isn't it ? you back running regular now then fella ?
Apparently one leg is shorter than the other, just to balance me up, just goes on heel, not the full insole. Aye pretty much, just slower and fatter now. My drinking has improved mind.

Last edited:
Give us an update if you know the details mate, outstanding achievement.
He's been going for nearly 24 hours now and passed the ninety mile mark about half an hour ago. 'Only' twenty miles or so to go but these are the killers.
He's a stubborn bugger so he'll do it no problem. He's in 27th place and he was in the forties yesterday so I'm guessing he is still going strong.
The winner finished in under 20 hours.:eek::eek::eek:

He's been going for nearly 24 hours now and passed the ninety mile mark about half an hour ago. 'Only' twenty miles or so to go but these are the killers.
He's a stubborn bugger so he'll do it no problem. He's in 27th place and he was in the forties yesterday so I'm guessing he is still going strong.
The winner finished in under 20 hours.:eek::eek::eek:
Brilliant stuff. And the winner must be an absolute machine. I'm off out for a run now for what would no doubt be a light warm up for these lads.

Back