Running Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been going for nearly 24 hours now and passed the ninety mile mark about half an hour ago. 'Only' twenty miles or so to go but these are the killers.
He's a stubborn bugger so he'll do it no problem. He's in 27th place and he was in the forties yesterday so I'm guessing he is still going strong.
The winner finished in under 20 hours.:eek::eek::eek:

Christ, and I'm going for a half marathon PB today of 2 hours 20 minutes. :lol:

Easily my worst running performance in about 5 years at the half today. A struggle from start to finish and I would have happily dropped out after 5 miles. I finished in a time of 1.51 but normally I'm sub 1.40.

I have to say, the event is brilliant for the city and it seems to be taking off. I'm still not convinced by the route, but I believe they have issues with NIMBYs on the north side and hence only the last 3'miles are near the coast.

Easily my worst running performance in about 5 years at the half today. A struggle from start to finish and I would have happily dropped out after 5 miles. I finished in a time of 1.51 but normally I'm sub 1.40.

I have to say, the event is brilliant for the city and it seems to be taking off. I'm still not convinced by the route, but I believe they have issues with NIMBYs on the north side and hence only the last 3'miles are near the coast.

It is a shame a large chunk of the route is back and forth around Hendon

It is a shame a large chunk of the route is back and forth around Hendon

I agree mate. I know originally they wanted to head into Seaburn, but they had problems with the locals. Apparently they were unhappy that they couldn't use their cars for 3-4 hrs.

Iirc South Bents in particular was quite vocal and a local councillor went to the echo to moan. It's sad, but what can you do?

I agree mate. I know originally they wanted to head into Seaburn, but they had problems with the locals. Apparently they were unhappy that they couldn't use their cars for 3-4 hrs.

Iirc South Bents in particular was quite vocal and a local councillor went to the echo to moan. It's sad, but what can you do?
That's absolutely sad as fuck if that's the case. Bet you half the miserable bastards have done nothing but sit on their fat arses watching telly today anyway, it wouldn't have inconvenienced them in the slightest.

Ridiculous. People complain about there being nowt on in Sunderland but then when there is complain about disruption etc (Split festival, for another example).

Heard loads of moaning about road closures. It's one day a year ffs. Not even a full day!

Ridiculous. People complain about there being nowt on in Sunderland but then when there is complain about disruption etc (Split festival, for another example).

Heard loads of moaning about road closures. It's one day a year ffs. Not even a full day!
I drove into the town today and it wasn't even that bad, just went over the Queen Alexandra and into the town. Hardly even an inconvenience. People just love a moan.

Is South Bents South Tyneside? Whole new argument there if it is but I agree with your sentiment. On the plus side, the people of Hendon do tend to come out and support you.

Give us an update if you know the details mate, outstanding achievement.
He's finished (I think). Just over 30 hours, cracking achievement.

Is South Bents South Tyneside? Whole new argument there if it is but I agree with your sentiment. On the plus side, the people of Hendon do tend to come out and support you.

He's finished (I think). Just over 30 hours, cracking achievement.

No mate, Sunderland. Originally it wasn't going to go as far as South Bents, but the roads would have been closed from Morrisons which would have impacted the residents

No mate, Sunderland. Originally it wasn't going to go as far as South Bents, but the roads would have been closed from Morrisons which would have impacted the residents
Surely they can come from the other direction? Miserable gets.
Wish the bugger went by my house so I didn't have far to go to cheer them on.
Seemed to be far more running this year than previous years, think it has finally started getting some momentum.

Unbelievable achievement. Bet he's ready for a lie down.
:lol:
From what little I've heard he's tired but in good shape. After the coast to coast I don't think he could speak or put one foot in front of the other. Having said that, he was in the pub with us the day after as if nowt was wrong.
There was a lot of people doing it and I'd be surprised if there was nobody from here. I was talking to his lass a while back after he'd won some ultra run and had been speaking to someone off here, I think @Bagpuss maybe. I couldn't explain how I knew him and just mumbled 'the internet'.:lol:

Surely they can come from the other direction? Miserable gets.
Wish the bugger went by my house so I didn't have far to go to cheer them on.
Seemed to be far more running this year than previous years, think it has finally started getting some momentum.

Totally agree mate. The turnout today was brilliant and it's really starting to take off. I honestly can't see a reason why the Sunderland half can't be the spring NE half marathon, with the GNR continuing as the late summer run of choice.

Regarding the resident situation, I think it's almost certain that should the Sunderland half continue to grow, then the route will have to change and some of the moaning twat locals will just have to accept it.

:lol:
From what little I've heard he's tired but in good shape. After the coast to coast I don't think he could speak or put one foot in front of the other. Having said that, he was in the pub with us the day after as if nowt was wrong.
There was a lot of people doing it and I'd be surprised if there was nobody from here. I was talking to his lass a while back after he'd won some ultra run and had been speaking to someone off here, I think @Bagpuss maybe. I couldn't explain how I knew him and just mumbled 'the internet'.:lol:
good effort but he opted for the 'easy one' - there was a 160 and a 200 running at the same time I think. the 110 is becoming the baby of the series.

Go and see neil sleeman at platinum physio, sorted my PF

It's sorted now marra & I'm "back on the horse" again. Ended up ditching the orthotic & using a boot that stretched the fascia overnight & socks that provide compression during the day. Now it's just a matter of rebuilding my base for a while before training starts for the Yorkshire Marathon.

Reactions: D.A
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back