Running Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just gone 47 and only been running for 4-5 years in total - 3-4 with a club. When I started out I was running the traditional 'sessions' and racing on the road over 5k-HMP. Even though I did all the stuff i was told to do about recovery and rest etc I was constantly injured - it was like one thing after the next and started to really piss me off. Around 2 years ago I got into trail running and then ultra marathons. I run more miles in training now than ever, still do 2 'sessions' a week and (touching my head / wood) ive been injury free ever since. The difference for me has been running my efforts at like 10k or HMP pace rather than 3k, 5k etc. Its made a massive difference and kept me fit. Maybe my 5k time might not be a good now (although I suspect it might) but what's the point in running a 15min 5k if you can only do it once a year as the other 51 weeks you're injured !

for a 47 year old that's 96% WAVA!!

I think there might be a map on the website - not too sure. You could fire a message over to the organiser.

I've started training again mate , but where club do 3 sessions a week , I've startered doing 2 watered down sessions a week (like half the reps/intensity) and to be honest I think a lot of what they do is a young mans game where recover much better anyway, its not or this old man :lol:
Good stuff. I think the trainings finally caught up with me, despite my relative youth :) been getting pain between ankle and calf when I land my feet. Worried it's Achilles related so I'm having a week of rest. Stir crazy already. . I even cleaned the oven last night I was that restless :lol:

Is this run open to anyone?
Im currently living in London but home for a few days and wouldn't running the 10k.
yes, don't think its a proper race mind

Good stuff. I think the trainings finally caught up with me, despite my relative youth :) been getting pain between ankle and calf when I land my feet. Worried it's Achilles related so I'm having a week of rest. Stir crazy already. . I even cleaned the oven last night I was that restless :lol:
yeah be careful mate, if get Achilles issue and it goes its with you forever :(:(
do "eccentric calf raises" on the stairs for few mins each day, that's what any physio would tell you , sounds like you've nipped it in bud before it became an issue mate

Last edited:
yes, don't think its a proper race mind

yeah be careful mate, if get Achilles issue and it goes its with you forever :(:(
do "eccentric calf raises" on the stairs for few mins each day, that's what any physio would tell you , sounds like you've nipped it in bud before it became an issue mate
Cheers mate, been doing some 'eccentric heel drops'. Suspect it's similar. I do 2 sets of 15 twice a day. By the 11th/12th they really knack :cry:

Feeling grand though, think I needed a rest. The wife has remarked she's not had half as much washing to do this week :lol:

a couple of runs this week trying to come back after ankle injury. not quite right but getting there.

my fitness level has gone totally, blowing after a couple of miles and heart rate way higher than normal. It's a start though

I had a vindaloo last night and decided to go out for my long weekend run this morning. Got two miles out and almost shit myself so that was interesting. Although on the bright side I reckon I was faster than Bolt on the desperate run back home.
That was what I had last night and I have sacked off long run today, going to go tomorrow night instead as my guts are a little delicate today

I had a vindaloo last night and decided to go out for my long weekend run this morning. Got two miles out and almost shit myself so that was interesting. Although on the bright side I reckon I was faster than Bolt on the desperate run back home.

The only and only time I've ever used 0800 reverse was to ring my mother (the other half was at work) to come and pick me up from a phone box in Whitley Bay as I was on the verge of releasing molten lava.

Anyone ran washy trail outlaws 10k? How is the course? Is it much uneven ground? I run halfs/marathons etc but not trails as I have glass ankles.

Live in washy though so fancy giving it a go

Did the Northumberland Big 10 at Kirkley today. Not a bad race, nice area and very friendly.

My asthma isnt controlled at the moment so happy with 1hr 26.....I would probably fail a drugs test the amount of steroid in my inhaler.....

Did the Northumberland Big 10 at Kirkley today. Not a bad race, nice area and very friendly.

My asthma isnt controlled at the moment so happy with 1hr 26.....I would probably fail a drugs test the amount of steroid in my inhaler.....
Beat me by 5mins. A 10mile PB for me. T-Shirts have been black & white for the previous 2 years so pleased with the green one this year.

Last edited:
Anyone ran washy trail outlaws 10k? How is the course? Is it much uneven ground? I run halfs/marathons etc but not trails as I have glass ankles.

Live in washy though so fancy giving it a go
Not done that one but most of their races are on tough terrain, more trail than footpath. Their pieces of eight race around Penshaw is brutal :)

Did my first Yorkshire PECO race today (XC club league) at Temple Newsam Leeds. By heck there are some fast runners round here!

Physio and hospital yesterday and seems like I've got a stress fracture in my foot. Explains the pain I've been feeling in the past 2 months and not able to run more than a couple of times before having to stop again, despite previously being told it was ligament damage.

Bugger.

Physio and hospital yesterday and seems like I've got a stress fracture in my foot. Explains the pain I've been feeling in the past 2 months and not able to run more than a couple of times before having to stop again, despite previously being told it was ligament damage.

Bugger.

Hate it when that happens. I had a fractured Metatarsal last year which was initially diagnosed as Mortons Neuroma. Luckily the physio sussed it wasn't that as the next stage would have been surgery to remove the nerve.

Doctor
Hate it when that happens. I had a fractured Metatarsal last year which was initially diagnosed as Mortons Neuroma. Luckily the physio sussed it wasn't that as the next stage would have been surgery to remove the nerve.
Three medical professionals told me it was ligament damage. Within 15 minutes the physio I'd been referred to had it figured out. Frustration is waiting 2 months before seeing her as I trusted the first answer of ligament damage even though I had a lingering feeling it was a stress fracture. Should have trusted my instinct but been busy with work and away so finding the time to get it seen to again has been impossible.

Can only hope for a straightforward recovery but my plan for a fast Brighton marathon in April is probably gone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back