Roker Rapport Podcast: With Paul Reid & Kevin Ball - Submit your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

I enjoyed it because its a subject I'm interested in but it didn't say a great deal and what it did, wasn't really what I was hoping to hear.

Granted, a great deal of upheaval in a short space of time meant that getting the basics correct and putting out fires was on the top of the list and that is understandable. But a lack of aspiration is not.

When they spoke about building relationships with local clubs at grassroots, that is the absolute minimum of what the academy should be doing. It is not difficult to set this in motion, nor to maintain. Not a goal, nor a one for the future, but a bare minimum.

On the outside looking in, many clubs, none more so than our own, suffer from a massive amount of Short-termism. Every decision made is done for the here and now. At our club, it has caused countless problems, a completely fractured staff, player and fan base, not to mention the accounts. Not one football decision was made for a mid to long-term because those making the decisions, knew they wouldn't be here to reap any potential rewards.

A managers life is short lived at clubs now, they cannot be expected to be responsible for the long-term future of a club as it is an almost certainty that they will not be here to live with the decisions made. It has to come from higher up and be a mantra throughout. Looking after the penny's is important, which we are very keen on now, but so is planning for the club to be so good that they need not have such an emphasis on reducing costs in the future.

It was said that making a 5-year plan would be almost impossible as football changes day by day, due to a new man could come in with a completely new idea. A smart club with a plan would hire someone who was aware of a club's aims and was happy to be a part of them. I believe Bilbao have planned for longer than five years; I dare say so do Ajax, Dortmund etc..

Concern was given to current youth players that dropping a load of foreign players in the academy may affect them. Barcelona among many other huge clubs can effectively run & manage a large number of squads at the same time, looking at Man City training grounds, they are primed to be a football factory.

Correcting the basics, is fine for now and first team-wise, momentum is a massive thing especially at Sunderland, but if it is not built on sound planning, when the momentum turns, it will go very badly, very quickly.

Id hope, once everyone has settled in, that aspiration is given some serious thought. Being a well run league one or championship set up in a top class facility is not good enough, in my opinion.

This is the first time I've been slightly disappointed at one of these RR podcasts, not anything to do with yous but felt like some of the questions were avoided or sometimes it felt like a totally different question was answered, still a lot of interesting talking points though. One thing that worried me slightly was the talk about 'trusted agents' and basically relying on them to recommend good young players for the academy, this for me isn't good enough and isn't the right way to go about getting the next batch of talent on our books, surely we have to get proactive and build contacts with foreign teams that could be mutually beneficial in terms of developing young players.

Good stuff.

1) Have they prepared and discussed a five-year plan on how the current youth players can be integrated into the first team? If so has this plan been discussed with the first team management, did they have input into it?

2) Is Luca Stephenson still at the academy? What happened with Liverpool? If he is, what steps were taken to argue this was the right place for him?

3) An overview of how we scout youngsters of others clubs in the UK. Are we planning to invest further in this area?

4) Are there plans in place to scout foreign youngsters? Joel Asoro was a success, but I believe that was led by a chap who had contacts, assuming we don't have those contacts now, how would we go about replicating that far-reaching information?

4b) We used to have young players from Trinidad & Tobago over for a couple of weeks, any plans in place to do so again or even do more from different countries?

4c) I believe we have acadamy's In a couple of different companies, are these created in the hope of developing a player able to play here or more so to improve our "brand"?

4d) Satori spoke about South American kids coming over. Donald spoke about the logistical issues with this. Has this been spoken about properly or is it just an idea?

5) Are we looking to replicate any type of model like Bilbao's, if so, have we made any contact with them to gain knowledge of how to do so?

Superb. Alas. None of these will be asked.

If you’d of asked “can you give Bally a big cuddle and tell him he was the most committed player at Sunderland and is this what you are looking for in the current team” you may have had a chance.

If you’d of asked “can you give Bally a big cuddle and tell him he was the most committed player at Sunderland and is this what you are looking for in the current team” you may have had a chance.

To be fair, the majority of them questions were asked.

To be fair, the majority were asked, answers didn't fill me with confidence mind but I'm sure it will all be fine.

Glad they seem to agree with the loan system, had far to many players stagnating in the 23s this past couple of years. Wasn’t overly impressed with Reid but the time to judge him will be in a couple of years time. Bally is great to listen too but his refusal to criticise past regimes is tiring.

One thing we need to build upon in the future is a network of scouts across the main footballing countries.
If we can pick up a few lads pre 16 from other countries who turn into Internationals then it will only be good for our club.
Relying on agents who are only money driven is not a good thing as they will always have an allegiance to the club who will pay them the biggest finders fee and also a percentage of signing on fees and future transfers.

Our own small team of good scouts is something I’d like to see the academy put together once we are back in the championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back