Rob Key New England MD

And the feedback from that committee has been effective during that period?

Totally agree. Had he demonstrated relevant managerial skills in his c.v. then a minor aberration years back shouldn't have been held against him.
Yeah fair enough it is a surprise somebody with such little experience in them sort of roles is given the top job, no argument from me on that.

TBF this place was against Strauss getting a top job originally. "Jobs for the boys" and "head boy" were thrown around ;). So ill wait and see :p
It was the same mate when Southgate got the England football managers job he was apparently a yes man as well.

Whatever that means!

Guess what I am saying is let’s give people a chance, if they fail inevitably they will get criticism it goes with the territory, but let’s see how it goes first

Last edited:
There's an excellent article,as is usual from Atherton ,in today's Times but of course behind a pay wall. He's in favour of Key's appointment whilst pointing out his lack of managerial experience.
That overrides my concerns. Athers clearly knows Key very well.
In a separate article,Key is reported as keen to appoint Stokes as test captain and Ponting as head coach. Pull those two appointment s off and I'll applaud his appointment.

There's an excellent article,as is usual from Atherton ,in today's Times but of course behind a pay wall. He's in favour of Key's appointment whilst pointing out his lack of managerial experience.
In a separate article,Key is reported as keen to appoint Stokes as test captain and Ponting as head coach. Pull those two appointment s off and I'll applaud his appointment.
Would love Ponting and Stokes for that matter as both in their careers were big players for big moments, might be a bit harder to pull off though.

I am never surprised Durham fans particularly some on here twisting about something in the hierarchy of the England set up, as some always find an angle to do it.

Naively on my part thought a Kent player selected as England MD, might get away from talking about Durham!!

If you want opinions unrelated to Durham CCC then maybe a Durham CCC fan board isn't the place to seek them

Not happy with key as a selection.
Lack of experience worries me due to the situation we are in.

I will wait to see what he changes and who he appoints if it changes the red ball game in the UK.

I don’t feel this is massive for England or the right choice.

Hope he performs won’t be surprised if he doesn’t.

If you want opinions unrelated to Durham CCC then maybe a Durham CCC fan board isn't the place to seek them
I thought it was a Sunderland football club message board with a cricket sub section.

But of course take your general point that on it Durham will be discussed a hell of a lot, of course it get that it’s inevitable.

Just get a bit sick at times this whole world is against Durham mantra and personally don’t think this particular subject had anything to do with Durham.

Tbf I also got sick on the football forum as well and said so when Sunderland fans thought the whole world was against them as well especially when in the premier league, refs were against us, big clubs always get decisions etc etc, all that normal feeling sorry for your team bollocks.

Last edited:
I am never surprised Durham fans particularly some on here twisting about something in the hierarchy of the England set up, as some always find an angle to do it.

Naively on my part thought a Kent player selected as England MD, might get away from talking about Durham!!
Because posters express a view opposing yours labelling them twisters hardly constitutes the voice of fair play.
If you're sick of reading about certain themes, there's an easy solution,don't read them.

Last edited:
My concern with appointing Stokes as captain is that he will have a hell of a workload on his shoulders. Do you stand him down from white ball cricket? I don’t think his T20 record is anything mind blowing but he’d be a massive loss to the 50 over team.

My concern with appointing Stokes as captain is that he will have a hell of a workload on his shoulders. Do you stand him down from white ball cricket? I don’t think his T20 record is anything mind blowing but he’d be a massive loss to the 50 over team.
You gotta think if he can do all the interviews and attend sponsored events etc with his mental health

I can’t see Ponting in an England kit ever , would be a cracking appointment but I can’t see him taking it

Same

I think we will end up with Kirsten just because key’s top choices wont want it

The biggest mistake I think he will make is appointing James Taylor selector, he’s been involved for a while now and party to some strange squads

Andy flower be perfect for that to me

The thing with t20 is you don’t need to play all the meaningless games

Aussies proved that just picked their best team for the tournament and won
"Ideally, Key would have liked to have a new head coach in place for the Test team before deciding on a captain but as the ECB have committed, in their 12 point action plan after last year’s racism scandal, to having a full, open and transparent recruitment process for all positions, they will need to advertise the job and then go through an interview process — which will take several weeks and cannot be circumvented unless the ECB breaks its own commitment made in November."

from the times, that is such bollocks and will hinder the team
they are saying there is no chance of a new coach being in chage by the NZ series and Colly likely to lead

cant believe that, if he knows who he wants, appoint him next week man.

Last edited:

Back