Revamp the playoffs

Always thought finishing 3rd should give you a better advantage than just having away leg first. You could have 3rd place get's you straight to play off final but not sure how you could make that work under current 3rd-6th situation.

4th play 5th and the winner plays 3rd in the final. 6th are told to jog on.

But 6th place is not always the worst side, they could have had a poor start and brought in several key signings in January. It could be a completely different team to the one that started the season.
Exactly - so you have choice of who you play and home away or vice-versa, if you finish third.

But 6th place is not always the worst side, they could have had a poor start and brought in several key signings in January. It could be a completely different team to the one that started the season.
It’s still the same season though. It shouldn’t be about who finishes the season stronger or who buys the best players in January, it should be about the best 3 teams over an entire season. That’s what a football season is. 6th place means you’ve performed 6th best over the whole season - doesn’t sit right with me you can be 10 points behind 3rd but go up in their place.
Appreciate most people love them and they’ll never be scrapped because of tv/money etc. But the manager of a team finishing 3rd can get slaughtered by the fans, yet the manager of a team finishing 10 points behind can be a hero.

I quite like the idea of 3rd place in League one playing 3rd bottom in the championship instead of the current system.
Just can't see past that often meaning less sides going up. Even a poor championship side has got a huge advantage given the money they'd have that season, their budget would be huge compared to a league one side. Would end up stagnating the league imo, in addition to a lot of teams having nowt to play for.

The 6th v 5th, then winner v 4th, then winner plays 3rd in the final sounds interesting mind

It’s still the same season though. It shouldn’t be about who finishes the season stronger or who buys the best players in January, it should be about the best 3 teams over an entire season. That’s what a football season is. 6th place means you’ve performed 6th best over the whole season - doesn’t sit right with me you can be 10 points behind 3rd but go up in their place.
Appreciate most people love them and they’ll never be scrapped because of tv/money etc. But the manager of a team finishing 3rd can get slaughtered by the fans, yet the manager of a team finishing 10 points behind can be a hero.

Oh yeah I agree completely, see me rely to the OP. I think the third placed team should be automatic finalists.

Oh yeah I agree completely, see me rely to the OP. I think the third placed team should be automatic finalists.
I don’t think they should be finalists, I think they should go up automatically. I know it won’t ever happen again, but to me the best 3 go up and the worst 3 go down over an entire season.

That might be true but I think they're great. Some seasons the top three are comfortably ahead of the others. Means that most teams have nowt to play for by about march at the latest. Looking at this season even Ipswich in 11th have an outside chance with 3 games to go. A lot of teams would be going years with absolutely nowt to interest them without the play offs, and they make for great entertainment. Not saying that makes them right of course, but it's a huge positive.
I remember a time when wr didn’t have them mate. Maybe that’s why I don’t care for them. I just think it’s unfair that the team that’s worked hard all season and finished third may not be the one that goes up. It personal preference mate.

I don’t think they should be finalists, I think they should go up automatically. I know it won’t ever happen again, but to me the best 3 go up and the worst 3 go down over an entire season.

Oh right, there's an argument for that, but I guess it makes the end of the season more entertaining with other teams still in with a chance to go up.

I like the playoff format, just not the experience having failed miserably over the years.

I remember a time when wr didn’t have them mate. Maybe that’s why I don’t care for them. I just think it’s unfair that the team that’s worked hard all season and finished third may not be the one that goes up. Its personal preference mate.

I remember a time when wr didn’t have them mate. Maybe that’s why I don’t care for them. I just think it’s unfair that the team that’s worked hard all season and finished third may not be the one that goes up. It personal preference mate.
Completely agree, there's not a right answer. I think as long as all teams know that there's only two automatic places they can't really moan at effectively being given an extra chance having missed out. All about opinions though!

Have 4th, 5th and 6th not worked hard all season like?

There's currently only 5 points separating 3rd from 7th. Third place will deservedly be an also-ran in there with three other also-rans.

There's a good chance we won't even finish third yet.

Last edited:
Oh right, there's an argument for that, but I guess it makes the end of the season more entertaining with other teams still in with a chance to go up.

I like the playoff format, just not the experience having failed miserably over the years.
Appreciate it’s all about opinions marra and I’m probably in the minority. It’s a good thing we don’t all agree on everything or this place wouldn’t exist 😃

Have 4th 5th and 6th not worked hard all season like?

There's currently 5 points separating 3rd from 7th. Third place will deservedly be an also-ran in there with three other also-rans.

16th place worked hard. The issue is that 3rd place did better across the season than every other team, except 2.

Have 4th 5th and 6th not worked hard all season like?

There's currently 5 points separating 3rd from 7th. Third place will deservedly be an also-ran in there with three other also-rans.

I would argue every team has worked hard all season, but for me it’s about the teams with the most points. That’s what everyone tries to achieve surely?

Back