Revamp the playoffs

Play offs were only introduced to help reduce the size of Division One from 22 to 20 clubs over two seasons. It had nothing to do with creating more excitement. The FL were lucky that they were popular, so they decided to keep them.
I think some reform is needed. The semi finals should be one leg only, with the higher placed team at home.
Again, the final should be played at the home of the higher placed team. However, Wembley finals have become a money making exercise so I can’t see that happening.
Another idea would be to keep three up, three down automatically but have the play offs involving fourth bottom and 4th, 5th, 6th in the division below. I know that means four could be relegated from the higher division, so wouldn’t be popular with teams who regularly struggle.
You could also scrap the play offs and have four up, four down across the board.

Last edited:
For years we had three up and three down and it worked but then then playoffs came along and it often seems to punish the team that is pushing for the top two but narrowly misses out, especially when it goes last game of the season. Other than playoff final, the playoff games seem not to have much interest other than the teams involved. Would it not be better to either scrap this lottery or change it to third and fourth bottom of the league above play third and fourth - think it may have been something like that at one point. Sunderland wil still balls it up just wondering what other opinions are - other than its just extra money out of the fans after paying for a season ticket already.
That wouldn’t work as teams in the above league are so much better then those in our division. Plus it’s giving a team that has deserved relegation the lottery you say isn’t working.

I quite like the Scottish system bar they use a team from a league above which basically would work like.

R1: 5th vs 6th
R2: 4th vs Winner of 5th/6th
Final: 3rd vs Winner of above (Promoted)

Gives a massive boost to the 3rd place as they only need to win 1 game. Those in 5th or 6th need to win 3 games to get promoted and gives the positioning a bit of worth. Eliminates the unfairness for someone finishing 3rd being in the same position as someone 6th.

For years we had three up and three down and it worked but then then playoffs came along and it often seems to punish the team that is pushing for the top two but narrowly misses out, especially when it goes last game of the season. Other than playoff final, the playoff games seem not to have much interest other than the teams involved. Would it not be better to either scrap this lottery or change it to third and fourth bottom of the league above play third and fourth - think it may have been something like that at one point. Sunderland wil still balls it up just wondering what other opinions are - other than its just extra money out of the fans after paying for a season ticket already.
No

That wouldn’t work as teams in the above league are so much better then those in our division. Plus it’s giving a team that has deserved relegation the lottery you say isn’t working.
Fair point. This was never about Sunderland btw as some people seem to think. i just asked a question. Even if it was about Sunderland a post on here is hardly going to change anything.

Play offs were only introduced to help reduce the size of Division One from 22 to 20 clubs over two seasons. It had nothing to do with creating more excitement. The FL were lucky that they were popular, so they decided to keep them.
I think some reform is needed. The semi finals should be one leg only, with the higher placed team at home.
Again, the final should be played at the home of the higher placed team. However, Wembley finals have become a money making exercise so I can’t see that happening.
Another idea would be to keep three up, three down automatically but have the play offs involving fourth bottom and 4th, 5th, 6th in the division below. I know that means four could be relegated from the higher division, so wouldn’t be popular with teams who regularly struggle.
You could also scrap the play offs and have four up, four down across the board.

^^^^This ^^^^
I cant believe that its took till post 102 for someone to give the correct explanation as to why the play offs were created....!

I will add that it was seen as a money making exercise by the FL. When we played Crystal Palace in 2004 iirc there was pretty much a full house at the SOL. The official crowd attendance was way down on what we could see inside the Stadium (We can all guess the crowd to a few thousand most match days) why because then EFL take 50% of the gate receipts and 25% each go to the two clubs.

The EFL and Sky building it up as the £100m game. It sells....!!!!!

Simply scrap and revert to 3 up.
The play off is a lottery.
As none of the teams are significantly better or worse than any of the other three each match has the unpredictability of a one off cup tie.
The argument that the play offs add interest to the end of the season is not necessarily correct.
Without the play offs our match tonight would be important. Now it is merely two teams playing out a meaningless fixture overshadowed by the main event in May

I remember a time when wr didn’t have them mate. Maybe that’s why I don’t care for them. I just think it’s unfair that the team that’s worked hard all season and finished third may not be the one that goes up. It personal preference

I remember a time when wr didn’t have them mate. Maybe that’s why I don’t care for them. I just think it’s unfair that the team that’s worked hard all season and finished third may not be the one that goes up. It personal preference mate.
I remember a time when top 2 only went up & no playoffs. It a system that was played far longer than 3 up & 3 down as well never mind play-off system.

Fine the way they are. Just shite that we never get success in them. If you ask someone like Blackpool that have gone up three times from them, they'll love then.

I think the team finishing 3rd should definitely have an advantage. They should be the automatic finalists.

6th should play 5th. The winner players 4th and then the winner from that game should play 3rd.
This, think they have something similar in rugby league, got to make the finishing places mean something, 3rd should definately have an advantage over 6th in play offs.

Back