Revamp the playoffs

mackem35

Winger
For years we had three up and three down and it worked but then then playoffs came along and it often seems to punish the team that is pushing for the top two but narrowly misses out, especially when it goes last game of the season. Other than playoff final, the playoff games seem not to have much interest other than the teams involved. Would it not be better to either scrap this lottery or change it to third and fourth bottom of the league above play third and fourth - think it may have been something like that at one point. Sunderland wil still balls it up just wondering what other opinions are - other than its just extra money out of the fans after paying for a season ticket already.

Last edited:

Always thought finishing 3rd should give you a better advantage than just having away leg first. You could have 3rd place get's you straight to play off final but not sure how you could make that work under current 3rd-6th situation.

I think the team finishing 3rd should definitely have an advantage. They should be the automatic finalists.

6th should play 5th. The winner players 4th and then the winner from that game should play 3rd.
They have an advantage in that they play the worst placed side. Third best vs 6th best, and the the middle two play each other. It's basic seeding. It couldn't be fairer.

Always thought finishing 3rd should give you a better advantage than just having away leg first. You could have 3rd place get's you straight to play off final but not sure how you could make that work under current 3rd-6th situation.

You also argue that by the time it gets to final, the 3rd place team hasn't had a game for 2 or 3 weeks and at a disadvantage maybe.

For years we had three up and three down and it worked but then then playoffs came along and it often seems to punish the team that is pushing for the top two but narrowly misses out, especially when it goes last game of the season. Other than playoff final, the playoff games seem not to have much interest other than the teams involved. Would it not be better to either scrap this lottery or change it to third and fourth bottom of the league above play third and fourth - think it may have been something like that at one point. Sunderland wil still balls it up just wondering what other opinions are - other than its just extra money out of the fans after paying for a season ticket already.
Scrap it. It’s a money making exercise.

You also argue that by the time it gets to final, the 3rd place team hasn't had a game for 2 or 3 weeks and at a disadvantage maybe.

I did have that In mind. I personally don't mind the current format too much, just if they were to change it that suggestion could be probably be a possibility.

I'm happy with it as it is. At the start of the season you know that if you aren't top two, you're in the play offs. I don't think you deserve any advantage whatsoever for being third. Can only imagine the criticism if we were 5th, a point off third, but suddenly had a massive disadvantage compared to a very similar side.

Only thing I'd maybe change is I think the teams in third and fourth should get to choose whether to play the first leg at home or away. I know they think home second is an advantage, but if you're stronger away you might want to get the home leg out of the way. Should be given the choice.

Personally I hate the play offs where they involve a team in the league above. They're likely to be stronger because they've had a massive financial benefit. Just seems like a way to reduce the number of teams going up and down. Keep things fresh by having more going up imo. The play offs are one thing that I think doesn't need tweaking

They have an advantage in that they play the worst placed side. Third best vs 6th best, and the the middle two play each other. It's basic seeding. It couldn't be fairer.
Not necessarily - 6th place could be top of the form guide and third could be shocking, look at Sunderland. Over the course of a season yes but as mentioned maybe third place could be given choice of who they play so at least there is some advantage in being higher up the league.

They're basically there to stop there from being so many meaningless games towards the end of the season. 9th v 11th in March or early april for instance.

Back