Returning to the north east after 44 years

That could be said about anywhere in the world.
I love the place. It has everything I want from life. Big enough city in Newcastle. ( I know) fantastic countryside. Plenty of bars and pubs. More than enough culture for me. A group of friends that I wouldn't swap for anything. No idea why people have such a downer on the place. I certainly wouldnt swap it for anywhere south of sheffield.
The locals can get you down a bit but thats if you let them,i'm probably similar,i take what i want from the city and area and love it .Happy to travel for what i cant get here

Don't expect the north east you left to still be here, that place has long gone
I'm guessing he'll have a few quid to spend on a place so it will be stockbroker Durham and a posh wearside accent will blossom soon after

I lived in Edmondsley for 9 years jobs.

Now theres a good reason right there not to move back. Every time I go back to Edmondsley its like visiting a big old peoples home. They have even had shut down Fyndoune Comp because there are simply not enough kids growing up the Sacriston/Edmondsley/Witton Gilbert area any more.

Now theres a good reason right there not to move back. Every time I go back to Edmondsley its like visiting a big old peoples home. They have even had shut down Fyndoune Comp because there are simply not enough kids growing up the Sacriston/Edmondsley/Witton Gilbert area any more.
I believe I lived in your street! ;)
(Or you loved in mine.....)

The locals can get you down a bit but thats if you let them,i'm probably similar,i take what i want from the city and area and love it .Happy to travel for what i cant get here

I'm guessing he'll have a few quid to spend on a place so it will be stockbroker Durham and a posh wearside accent will blossom soon after
That's one of the plus points for me. I have better friends and acquaintances here than I would anywhere else in the world. That probably says more about me than other people but I belong here. Even though I live on the Dark side.

That's one of the plus points for me. I have better friends and acquaintances here than I would anywhere else in the world. That probably says more about me than other people but I belong here. Even though I live on the Dark side.
Is it not more credit to the people than the area they come from ?Thats my point ,there's loads of people who just seem stuck in a past age .I think with the right outlook you can live anywhere and find good people .Not saying other areas don't have knackers as well

Is it not more credit to the people than the area they come from ?Thats my point ,there's loads of people who just seem stuck in a past age .I think with the right outlook you can live anywhere and find good people .Not saying other areas don't have knackers as well

I am sure I could live anywhere and find good people but they wouldn't be my people. We wouldn't share similar expressions and experiences.

I'm not saying other places are shit (I wouldn't want to live in South East of England exclude London from that) but they aren't where I would feel at home.

I am sure I could live anywhere and find good people but they wouldn't be my people. We wouldn't share similar expressions and experiences.

I'm not saying other places are shit (I wouldn't want to live in South East of England exclude London from that) but they aren't where I would feel at home.
I've grown close to my family without seeing any more of them.Clearly they are unique and i get you on things you did here but a lot of my great memories are of elsewhere and people you met often shared with mates from here .Home is more like a launch pad for the next adventure .

I was happiest of all in Sandwich, Kent. Loved there for 6 years hence the username. I've been living in Cambs, near Ely, for the past 15 years and I've never considered it as home.

If circumstances allowed I'd move to Northumberland in a heartbeat for the rest of my days.

I've grown close to my family without seeing any more of them.Clearly they are unique and i get you on things you did here but a lot of my great memories are of elsewhere and people you met often shared with mates from here .Home is more like a launch pad for the next adventure .

It's not about family either. I saw them more when I lived in That London. It's not what I have done, it's the people who I value. I feel more akin to people brought up here. I have plenty of people I know from other areas but I like the great pisstaking I get from the locals I call my friends.

It's like having friends who have English as a second language. There are nuances that are missed. I prefer people who get the nuances.

No. Just don't want to be stalked.

Thank you to everyone for their feedback, grief and support. Lots of it very funny.
For me the most important aspect of any place is the people and I am really looking forward to living amongst northerners again.
First match from my new home will be Luton on Jan 12th.

Stalked ?

I got a threat of violence of one of the board's well known loons by pm a few years ago.

knew too much about me , which was slightly worrying , but I'm still alive .

I lived in Co Durham until I went to uni at 18 and would say it’s a great place to live, but not to the exclusion of all others. The 3 years I spent in Edinburgh were exceptional and I’d move back there in a heartbeat. I’m in Montréal now and move to the other side of Canada in Feb. But when I get back to the UK in June, that is home. The exact town/city doesn’t matter because it’s so small, everything is close enough if you want to see family.

Back