Returning to the north east after 44 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been away 39 years and it's never crossed my mind to move back.
Jarra was a dump back then and it ain't changed a lot since
Either had I until 9 months ago. After all I have lived down here far more than in Sunderland. But after a trip in March I suddenly felt homesick when I got back to Bucks. Most unexpected.

By the way, another reason for returning - the great humour of the north east. As so well demonstrated on this site.

Although born and bred in Sunderland (Hylton Castle, Millfield) I have lived away for 44 years - Manchester, Surrey, London, Herts and Bucks.

Me and my darling wife are "coming home" to live near Durham in January. It just seems the right thing to do for many reasons and we are both looking forward to an adventure.

Any tips / advice.?

Looking forward to;

- seeing more of my family
- being near a beautiful city and countryside
- being closer to the seaside
- going to the SOL more often
- getting away from the south which gets more frenetic by the day
- cheaper beer
- etc.
I cannot find any up here.

:lol::lol:

Met a wife on holiday a few years ago who kept telling me she was from Durham, turned out to be Easington Colliery.

Hardly f***ing Durham , pet.
Its very much County Durham mind.

Seaham has some nice new estates. It’s unrecognisable from the place you’d remember down the sea front.
I know they haven't exactly covered the entire town, but still, Seaham's improvement in the last 10 years is remarkable.

I moved back after 20 years and never regretted it. Don’t idolise it would be my advice, there’s good and bad in every place.

The thing about coming back is that it’s my home town, so whether I’m in a nice part or a grubby part I have more emotional investment than living in an average suburb anywhere else. And get around the north east - coast, countryside and city - enjoy it.

I moved back after 20 years and never regretted it. Don’t idolise it would be my advice, there’s good and bad in every place.

The thing about coming back is that it’s my home town, so whether I’m in a nice part or a grubby part I have more emotional investment than living in an average suburb anywhere else. And get around the north east - coast, countryside and city - enjoy it.
I like that, "Emotional Investment". Know what you mean.

Sound advice. Thank you.

Either had I until 9 months ago. After all I have lived down here far more than in Sunderland. But after a trip in March I suddenly felt homesick when I got back to Bucks. Most unexpected.

By the way, another reason for returning - the great humour of the north east. As so well demonstrated on this site.
Give it a while. Maybe it's just life in bucks that needs a bit sorting "wherever you go there you are " as they say. Of course if its a family based thing then up you pop.
If you're selling your 2 bed, outside lavvy, terrace and buying a 5 bed detached with electric gates and a pool, fuck off..

I have been away from Seaham for over 40 years. I live in a little village outside of Harrogate and I like it here.

Enjoy your move back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back