Returning to the north east after 44 years

Don't expect the north east you left to still be here, that place has long gone
That could be said about anywhere in the world.
I love the place. It has everything I want from life. Big enough city in Newcastle. ( I know) fantastic countryside. Plenty of bars and pubs. More than enough culture for me. A group of friends that I wouldn't swap for anything. No idea why people have such a downer on the place. I certainly wouldnt swap it for anywhere south of sheffield.

I love the place. It has everything I want from life. Big enough city in Newcastle. ( I know) fantastic countryside. Plenty of bars and pubs. More than enough culture for me. A group of friends that I wouldn't swap for anything. No idea why people have such a downer on the place. I certainly wouldnt swap it for anywhere south of sheffield.

Do you get to the match at all these days? For some reason I have it in my head you’re not all that bothered about going. Could be totally wrong.

I suppose familiarity breeds contempt. When we moved to Aylesbury it was quite a charming ex market town. Now it is a sprawling mess. For example, no point in going out in the car between 8-9 am and 4-5:30 pm as the whole town grinds to a halt. However there is some stunning countryside and we will miss places like Waddesdon, Wendover Woods and Stowe. The nearest coast is 100 miles away.

GX is lovely, as is Beaconsfield. Only 22 mins train journeyfrom London. 20 mins drive from Heathrow. 30 mins from Windsor Great Park.

I've lived in the south for 25 years and been back periodically for a few months for various reasons. It's nicer than it was when i left, but is noticeably colder and there's much less to do. And there's still that general air of decay and gloom.

Don’t expect to be able to keep your iPhone our car out have any holidays, only way to get a house is to spend nothing on anything you like and plough it all into your house

Do you get to the match at all these days? For some reason I have it in my head you’re not all that bothered about going. Could be totally wrong.
Still go but lost a lot of enthusiasm. It's only 35 minutes on metro and you can have a more varied afternoon/night in Sunderland than a few years back.
The last few years the football hasn't been life affirming:lol:
I'm more into seeing bands and stuff. I'm reliving my teens

GX is lovely, as is Beaconsfield. Only 22 mins train journeyfrom London. 20 mins drive from Heathrow. 30 mins from Windsor Great Park.

I've lived in the south for 25 years and been back periodically for a few months for various reasons. It's nicer than it was when i left, but is noticeably colder and there's much less to do. And there's still that general air of decay and gloom.
The people aren't my cup of tea. I prefer decay and gloom to GX.

Last edited:
Still go but lost a lot of enthusiasm. It's only 35 minutes on metro and you can have a more varied afternoon/night in Sunderland than a few years back.
The last few years the football hasn't been life affirming:lol:
I'm more into seeing bands and stuff. I'm reliving my teens

The people aren't my cup of tea. I prefer decay and gloom to GX.

Fair enough. Horses for courses eh?

Well said...the area as a whole is great as are our people

"No idea why people have such a downer on the place. I certainly wouldnt swap it for anywhere south of sheffield."

I look at some of the names on here who have a downer on the place and I'm not in the slightest surprised by their opinions.

Although born and bred in Sunderland (Hylton Castle, Millfield) I have lived away for 44 years - Manchester, Surrey, London, Herts and Bucks.

Me and my darling wife are "coming home" to live near Durham in January. It just seems the right thing to do for many reasons and we are both looking forward to an adventure.

Any tips / advice.?

Looking forward to;

- seeing more of my family
- being near a beautiful city and countryside
- being closer to the seaside
- going to the SOL more often
- getting away from the south which gets more frenetic by the day
- cheaper beer
- etc.
Pease Pudding mate

Cannot give precise location of where we are moving to for security reasons. But I can confirm it is an ex pit village a few miles from Durham city.
Could be canny that like. I lived in Brandon for a few years and really liked it and most of the people . Moved to Durham and never liked it very much . Full of 10 bob millionaires and thieves .

You on the run from the filth or something? Spending crime money buying a house :)
No. Just don't want to be stalked.

Thank you to everyone for their feedback, grief and support. Lots of it very funny.
For me the most important aspect of any place is the people and I am really looking forward to living amongst northerners again.
First match from my new home will be Luton on Jan 12th.

Last edited:

Back