Reading Neil Warnocks autobiography

Status
Not open for further replies.

and he’s talking about being in a relegation fight and the 1st rule of thumb is to not sign any loan players as they won’t give their all for the club as they belong to someone else. Ellis should read it.

Remember anybody who mentioned Warnock getting roundly lambasted on here.....Excellent manager, an utter twat but great when he is your utter twat.....Would not have put up with the shit our lot serve up thats for sure.

I remember him doing that same thing at QPR when he was first appointed , we were being run into the ground by Briatore and we had 9 loan players on the books , we were also about 4 points off the bottom 3 and had just been beaten by Peterborough they hadn't won in 21 games btw
the first thing he did was come in and drop every single loan player bar Adel tarrabat (he would buy him the season after ) , morale was bad and we had players that were going through the motions and the loan players wouldn't put a tackle in in case they got injured (sounds familiar) we stayed up in the end and the season after we signed 9 players for less than 2 million quid and won the league , the man is a genius at this level
The problem with us now is that the squad's so depleted and threadbare, that taking out the loanees we wouldn't have enough players to make XI

Be my first realistic choice given the situation we are in

Your not sorry or you wouldn’t say it. By the way he hadn’t been convicted of anything when he was playing for us. The club binned him when he said he was changing his plea. The club did everything by the book. Not like your lot. Just saying like.

Well, apart from the fact Byrne had seen the texts and knew he was as guilty as fuck....Sorry but him being allowed to play when she knew he was fucked (she was a solicitor) was an absolute disgrace. He was already suspended, its not like his continued suspension would have influenced the case.

Well, apart from the fact Byrne had seen the texts and knew he was as guilty as fuck....Sorry but him being allowed to play when she knew he was fucked (she was a solicitor) was an absolute disgrace. He was already suspended, its not like his continued suspension would have influenced the case.
Is it confirmed anywhere that she’d seen the texts or hearsay ?

Did you hear me recommending it on the RR Podcast a few weeks ago by chance? ;) It's a fantastic book, probably my favourite football autobiography. It'll be one of the greatest 'what ifs' for me if Warnock never manages Sunderland. He's just perfect for us, even if people won't admit it.

Didn't realise he had one out, might buy it along with Lee Howey's.

Always liked Warnock. I can see why he rubs some up the wrong way but to find a manager so dedicated and genuinely passionate about football is refreshing. He comes across as a good honest genuine bloke that gets wound up about the game - the same way every fan up and down the country does.

The documentary 'Warnock' is well worth a watch. Deals with Sheff United's ultimately unsuccessful promotion bid in 04/05 season.The went up the year after in 05/06 and were very very unlucky to go down in 06/07. Some bad luck, terrible decisions (including a disallowed goal against Wigan by Hulse and the worst dive you will ever see by Steven Gerrard to get Liverpool a penalty against them) and ultimately the Carlos Tevez saga sent them down. 38 points they got which would be enough to survive most seasons.

He knows football inside out and Im certain we could have done worse.

I have been saying this for years loans weaken you in the end,Just look at us we now don't own a team.

It's blatantly not true though, we do own a team but about five or more are loaned out. Shit permanent signings - something like 98 I read in a thread earlier over Short's reign and not getting value for money there has led to a reliance on loans and laziness in the transfer market. Financial problems come from shit signings, sacking managers, signing more shit players etc and dismissing those players signed earlier, then signing more shit players and then getting tied to their contracts or having to pay them off, losing money constantly. You say we haven't got a squad but we still have now : Rodwell 10m, Khazri 9m, just sold Lens 12m, Djilobodji 8m, Borini still on loan 8.5m, Cattermole 6m, O'shea 5m, Ndong 13.5m, McNair 5m, Oviedo 5.5m, Gibson 0.5m to 2m on the books off the top of my head after a mass cull.

Oh and I forgot Kone the useless fat c*nt 6m. Without cheaper players or kids coming through, we've spent enough over the years have enough money put into the current side (including outwards loans) to not be left without a decent team at this level. That's not the fault of loans, it's simply horrendous transfer purchases.

Last edited:
Well, apart from the fact Byrne had seen the texts and knew he was as guilty as fuck....Sorry but him being allowed to play when she knew he was fucked (she was a solicitor) was an absolute disgrace. He was already suspended, its not like his continued suspension would have influenced the He said he was pleading not guilty so the club took guidance from the powers that be and played him as innocent till proven guilty. He originally pleaded not guilty then changed his plea. Byrne was told some detail at which time she should of suspended him immediately. She let the club down at that point and was relieved of her job. But you can’t blame the club for that.

He originally pleaded not guilty marra. The club took guidance from the fa and he continued to play. Innocent till proven guilty. He then changed his plea at which point the club suspended him. She was told certain stuff which she at that point she should of suspended him. But the club weren’t privy to that. She was sacked. But the club are hardly to blame for that.

Last edited:
The OP is not about long term effects though and I'm sure there's many a loanee contributed massively to help a club. Grabben was doing the biz till he got lifted back. King for Swansea, Kenedy for the Mags is putting in the effort - it depends on the character of the player not just the fact that he is a loanee imo
What i tried to get across was that if they are good and you dont buy them you have to find better the next time you cant keep d
It's blatantly not true though, we do own a team but about five or more are loaned out. Shit permanent signings - something like 98 I read in a thread earlier over Short's reign and not getting value for money there has led to a reliance on loans and laziness in the transfer market. Financial problems come from shit signings, sacking managers, signing more shit players etc and dismissing those players signed earlier, then signing more shit players and then getting tied to their contracts or having to pay them off, losing money constantly. You say we haven't got a squad but we still have now : Rodwell 10m, Khazri 9m, just sold Lens 12m, Djilobodji 8m, Borini still on loan 8.5m, Cattermole 6m, O'shea 5m, Ndong 13.5m, McNair 5m, Oviedo 5.5m, Gibson 0.5m to 2m on the books off the top of my head after a mass cull.

Oh and I forgot Kone the useless fat c*nt 6m. Without cheaper players or kids coming through, we've spent enough over the years have enough money put into the current side (including outwards loans) to not be left without a decent team at this level. That's not the fault of loans, it's simply horrendous transfer purchases.
What team do we own, Mark my words next year we could go down again if money is not invested in a better quality of player.

Always liked Warnock. I can see why he rubs some up the wrong way but to find a manager so dedicated and genuinely passionate about football is refreshing. He comes across as a good honest genuine bloke that gets wound up about the game - the same way every fan up and down the country does.

The documentary 'Warnock' is well worth a watch. Deals with Sheff United's ultimately unsuccessful promotion bid in 04/05 season.The went up the year after in 05/06 and were very very unlucky to go down in 06/07. Some bad luck, terrible decisions (including a disallowed goal against Wigan by Hulse and the worst dive you will ever see by Steven Gerrard to get Liverpool a penalty against them) and ultimately the Carlos Tevez saga sent them down. 38 points they got which would be enough to survive most seasons.

He knows football inside out and Im certain we could have done worse.
He made some daft decisions that season too iirc. He rested players for one match against a top team (Arsenal I think) and gambled on beating a team closer to the bottom in the next match. But I think that they lost both.

He also acted the **** when he instructed his players to get sent off in that abandoned game.

Still, I do admire his commitment and his use of the ‘black’ arts. He wouldn’t be a manager to mess with.

He made some daft decisions that season too iirc. He rested players for one match against a top team (Arsenal I think) and gambled on beating a team closer to the bottom in the next match. But I think that they lost both.

He also acted the **** when he instructed his players to get sent off in that abandoned game.

Still, I do admire his commitment and his use of the ‘black’ arts. He wouldn’t be a manager to mess with.
He'd sort our lot out!

He did go on like a bellend that day but that was years before. They were very unlucky to go down in 2007. I know Blades that still curse Tevez.

He did go on like a bellend that day but that was years before. They were very unlucky to go down in 2007. I know Blades that still curse Tevez.
They were quite comfortable in the league at one point, they cannot blame tevez and mascherano for everything. Then they wasted the cash that they got in reparations.

and he’s talking about being in a relegation fight and the 1st rule of thumb is to not sign any loan players as they won’t give their all for the club as they belong to someone else. Ellis should read it.
He’s not a fan of Stan Turnet by all accounts the knars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back