Reading Neil Warnocks autobiography

To be fair we have had some decent loans over the years, Given, Welbeck and Rose to name but a few.

I think it probably depends on the character of the player you bring in, some loan players will be desperate to make an impression and will be professional enough to care about how the club performs while they're there (who wants to go back and say "yeah, I went to Sunderland, we got relegated!). That being said I don't think it's a good idea to have too many loan players, we've got loads. I also think it's better if a loan player thinks you might actually sign them (I know that wasn't the case with Rose and Welbeck but again that comes back down to character). We've got quite a few loanees who know that they won't be back here, in some cases it will be harder to get them to commit when they know they're away in a few weeks time

Loved M'Vila.

Suppose Watford can enjoy the record signing we opted for instead :rolleyes:

In the Premier League, it' probably a decent idea as they are in the world spotlight, if they're after a move. At the bottom The Championship, they couldn't give a shit so he's right imo

In the Premier League, it' probably a decent idea as they are in the world spotlight, if they're after a move. At the bottom The Championship, they couldn't give a shit so he's right imo

I remember him doing that same thing at QPR when he was first appointed , we were being run into the ground by Briatore and we had 9 loan players on the books , we were also about 4 points off the bottom 3 and had just been beaten by Peterborough they hadn't won in 21 games btw
the first thing he did was come in and drop every single loan player bar Adel tarrabat (he would buy him the season after ) , morale was bad and we had players that were going through the motions and the loan players wouldn't put a tackle in in case they got injured (sounds familiar) we stayed up in the end and the season after we signed 9 players for less than 2 million quid and won the league , the man is a genius at this level

I listened to the roker report podcast with George Caukin this morning. Very good and some great points which weren’t necessarily new but expressed really well. Caulkin felt we’d identified with performing miracles in staying up against the odds - this bred an arrogance at board level that we could continue to do it, a culture of losing on the club and a season defined by 5 or 6 games. Not a miracle just earning the right to be utterly abject again next season.

Just very well put. The loan signings piece fits our model which is bust and has been since we got loanees who actually added value like Welbeck or Rose

Did you hear me recommending it on the RR Podcast a few weeks ago by chance? ;) It's a fantastic book, probably my favourite football autobiography. It'll be one of the greatest 'what ifs' for me if Warnock never manages Sunderland. He's just perfect for us, even if people won't admit it.
He is now but even he wouldn’t go down there

I have been saying this for years loans weaken you in the end,Just look at us we now don't own a team.
The OP is not about long term effects though and I'm sure there's many a loanee contributed massively to help a club. Grabben was doing the biz till he got lifted back. King for Swansea, Kenedy for the Mags is putting in the effort - it depends on the character of the player not just the fact that he is a loanee imo

Whilst there's undoubtedly exceptions to the rule, I do think it's a recipe for disaster in the long run. I don't think you can compare the loans of Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans in what was ultimately a successful side to loaning the likes of Galloway, Browning, Clarke-Shithead et al this time round. Yes a loan signing can do very well for you, but in a situation like ours, where half the bloody team is cobbled together with loanees, you do have to question the commitment of a bunch of lads who'll be thinking I'm going back to Everton/Chelsea/Liverpool in the summer, fuck this for a game of soliders.

Back