Raw dog food

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 days in.....
9 months old, having 2 x 1lb portions a day as recommended by the ROAR lass. When fully grown will only need 1.5 portions
She has calmed right down like. As if some of the chemicals in the Royal Canin were making her hyperactive / flighty, OR she's just got Sunday Dinner afternoon lethargy all day off all the meat.
1 toddlet per day (tiny it is) with the obligatory white tinge like the olden days.
However it is a bit of a clart on and a bit messy. Keep dripping blood everywhere.
Costing £2.10 a day vs about £1 for the kibble. This will come down though if I bulk buy.

Will have a look at the tripe factory in Hendon over the weekend.

We feed our two miniature schnauzers Poppy's Picnic - after winning a first hamper in a competition. Never looked back - calmed them down a lot, sorted out their itchy skin and really made their coats soft and glossy

Cost your lab's food needs here https://poppyspicnic.co.uk/fresh-start/

You can order direct or buy local from JP's Pet Supplies, 244 Fulwell Rd.

BTW, the dog poo reduces in amount, stops smelling rank and turns white if it is left to dry right out (that in itself must rate highly on the SMB coz there is always someone going on about the lack of white dog poo these days)
Is the move away from fresh and raw dog food over the few decades the answer to the "SMB white dog poo" riddle ?

What goes around, comes around. This may also be the case for white dog poo.

Feed ours raw, have been using Tripe Factory for a while now, good selection of raw food:-
Minced whole chicken, minced whole rabbit including the fur (fur acts as a natural wormer), minced tripe, minced beef, packs of fish, packs of diced heart, trachea and beef bones occasionally.
The dogs take more of the goodness from raw food compared to dried food and the result is less dog shite.
Occasionally order stuff on line from Landywoods as well, but not as cheap as Tripe Factory.

3 weeks into feeding Rosie on raw dog food buying it from the pet shop in pallion (pre packed and frozen) she loves the Chicken and also the Tripe but wasn't fussed with the Beef at all. He coat has changed a bit and has more shine now plus she only farts now and then ( still stinks) her shit is the best improvement as it's now a lot smaller and hard! She also eats a small amount on veg mixes in and ground up eggshell... At around 80p a day it's awesome!!

This ^^ What goes in, you have to pick up when it comes out. Raw food can be a right messey business with a large dog, although some dogs seem to have no bother. Trial and error I guess
Mate I'm finding it much easier take out of freezer defrost split into 2 potions. As for the dog mess it's went from massive chods to smaller hard compact chod! She's still the greediest dog in the world tho so that hasn't changed... Calmed down a little but still mad as a box of bees but she is a Labrador tho and they are stupid!

Mate I'm finding it much easier take out of freezer defrost split into 2 potions. As for the dog mess it's went from massive chods to smaller hard compact chod! She's still the greediest dog in the world tho so that hasn't changed... Calmed down a little but still mad as a box of bees but she is a Labrador tho and they are stupid!
Talk about greed try a german shepherd!! . We trialled food types with her, and she, 's settled on dry, and its an easy, "pick up" from a large dog. She was a nightmare on raw. Dry, you just keep in a box nee mess, nee freezing. Depends what the dog' s (and you) happy with.

Talk about greed try a german shepherd!! . We trialled food types with her, and she, 's settled on dry, and its an easy, "pick up" from a large dog. She was a nightmare on raw. Dry, you just keep in a box nee mess, nee freezing. Depends what the dog' s (and you) happy with.
Mate she will eat anything apart from dry food! Loves Adidas insoles but not as much as my Vans insoles... Paper/balloons/her own shit/ anything!!! My biggest problem is the smell of the Tripe it stinks and I can't put my finger on what it smells similar to but honks.

Mate she will eat anything apart from dry food! Loves Adidas insoles but not as much as my Vans insoles... Paper/balloons/her own shit/ anything!!! My biggest problem is the smell of the Tripe it stinks and I can't put my finger on what it smells similar to but honks.
:D:D
 It smells much like The Gallowgate end

If you are in the NE there is nee need you buy at pet shops when you can go down to Hendonshire and sample the delights of The Parade.

I was given a pack of raw food from a pet shop off a neighbour and it still appeared to have lots off additives in. At the Tripe Factory its nowt but meaty goodness (well animal goodness). Depending on who serves me I get charged either £3 or £4.50 for the weeks supply, which is enough for 2 small dogs. Not quite sure how they work the pricing out mind, but its still cheap, and the dogs love it.

If you are in the NE there is nee need you buy at pet shops when you can go down to Hendonshire and sample the delights of The Parade.

I was given a pack of raw food from a pet shop off a neighbour and it still appeared to have lots off additives in. At the Tripe Factory its nowt but meaty goodness (well animal goodness). Depending on who serves me I get charged either £3 or £4.50 for the weeks supply, which is enough for 2 small dogs. Not quite sure how they work the pricing out mind, but its still cheap, and the dogs love it.
Is it fresh or frozen? And do you just get X amount and split it yourself?

I go to roar at team Valley as well its not the cheapest it seems but its closest to me and seems good quality. My 5 month old pup loves it. Have to limit tripe to once or twice a week as it fuckin honks

It’s not medical food. Sounds it though.

So you’re just made of money then...

I know Hills Science Plan is not the prescription diet, but it’s one that Vets “recommend” to their clients, without it being of any benefit to the dog at all.

Ever wondered why a lot of vets only carry foods manufactured by the big 4 companies? Mars, Nestle, Proctor & Gamble and Colgate-Palmolive...not the sort of names you’d expect to associate with dog food.

They spend a lot on promotions and getting tie-ins with vet practices (especially the chain ones), even to the point of sponsoring the diet & nutrition modules at universities.

Dog Food Review Royal Canin, Hills and Burns

If we are travelling in the motorhome and can’t carry loads of raw meat for the dogs we use Millie’s Wolfheart as it scores quite well on the independent review sites for its Meat content and ingredients used, we have also used Happy Dog dry food in the past. On the turd scale, neither of these foods make the dogs have massive ones, but still not as good as when the dogs are on the raw meat...

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/hills-science-diet-dog-food-adult-dry/

Last edited:
So you’re just made of money then...

I know Hills Science Plan is not the prescription diet, but it’s one that Vets “recommend” to their clients, without it being of any benefit to the dog at all.

Ever wondered why a lot of vets only carry foods manufactured by the big 4 companies? Mars, Nestle, Proctor & Gamble and Colgate-Palmolive...not the sort of names you’d expect to associate with dog food.

They spend a lot on promotions and getting tie-ins with vet practices (especially the chain ones), even to the point of sponsoring the diet & nutrition modules at universities.

Dog Food Review Royal Canin, Hills and Burns

If we are travelling in the motorhome and can’t carry loads of raw meat for the dogs we use Millie’s Wolfheart as it scores quite well on the independent review sites for its Meat content and ingredients used, we have also used Happy Dog dry food in the past. On the turd scale, neither of these foods make the dogs have massive ones, but still not as good as when the dogs are on the raw meat...

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/hills-science-diet-dog-food-adult-dry/
Wow. You know your dog food. :lol:

And I buy it online. Recommended it years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back