Racism at Yorkshire CCC

Its a disgrace and the people involved should look in the mirror or at least resign immediately.

given the ecb made an example of robinson for a few daft tweets when he was a kid, it will be interesting to see if they apply consistency towards Yorkshire
They have to (fwiw I disagree those tweets were "daft", they were absolutely awful, but I felt his punishment was fair). Regarding Yorkshire, there should be sackings/ resignations a plenty. Maybe the ECB should even implement staff to oversee changes? I wouldn't be against demotion and/or points deductions, or the banning of Headingly as a test venue if that is going to see tangible institutional change.

Hard to know was is the appropriate punishment really. It should be something that forces change.

Last edited:
The fact of life is Asian ethnicity are underrepresented in cricket all over the world. Those of a black background are overrepresented. India should be basically invincible, given their pool of players. They're not. Look at the talent West Indies produce with a passing interest in cricket and barely any population. That kind of explosive build is replicated in other sports, notable sprinting. It's genetics not racism. Ultimately everyone cops abuse, favouritism and all the rest of it. Don't let it be an excuse as to why you don't make it.
I think that many Asians and especially muslims have difficulty with the "lads" culture that tends to exist around many cricket clubs, and on into the professional game. Certainly my experience in club cricket (going back a few years mind) was that drinking was very much part of the culture, and in fairness it is the social side of many cricket clubs that keeps them viable. This continues into the county game, probably an alien and unfriendly culture for many asians to take onboard.

I think that many Asians and especially muslims have difficulty with the "lads" culture that tends to exist around many cricket clubs, and on into the professional game. Certainly my experience in club cricket (going back a few years mind) was that drinking was very much part of the culture, and in fairness it is the social side of many cricket clubs that keeps them viable. This continues into the county game, probably an alien and unfriendly culture for many asians to take onboard.
Let’s be clear here , Azeem raised cases about Muslims not the general ethnic minority. Not saying what he said is wrong or right , but he’s appealing on behalf of one community.

Likewise but the point is, so long as Yorkshire cover up, everyone is under suspicion,. Until the findings are made public the innocent aren't exonerated, where's Yorkshire's "duty of care to their employees" there?
what surprises me is how quiet the media have been on this. Sky did a lunchtime piece on racism in cricket yesterday yet no mention of the Yorkshire enquiry.
Legally Yorkshire are in a pretty shitty position,. The guy who is making the accusations is suing the club, so obviously the club is going to be as defensive as possible. They are also claiming that the vast majority of the accusations haven’t been proved. A well respected firm of solicitors was appointed by YCCC to investigate these claims, and they are advising Yorkshire not to publish the report as it could lead to people taking libel action against the club. Not sticking up for the club, just trying to apply a bit of balance. It’s probably worth remembering that well into the 1990s only folk born within the county border could play for them

Absolutely disgusting stuff, my heart goes out to the lad.

Sorry if this sounds petty, but DCCC were given a demotion, 48-point deduction, salary cap and test match ban for something far less serious. If YCCC are found to be institutionally racist, surely the ECB should impose a heavy penalty.
Not a chance Yorkshire will face such penalties

Legally Yorkshire are in a pretty shitty position,. The guy who is making the accusations is suing the club, so obviously the club is going to be as defensive as possible. They are also claiming that the vast majority of the accusations haven’t been proved. A well respected firm of solicitors was appointed by YCCC to investigate these claims, and they are advising Yorkshire not to publish the report as it could lead to people taking libel action against the club. Not sticking up for the club, just trying to apply a bit of balance. It’s probably worth remembering that well into the 1990s only folk born within the county border could play for them
A shitty position of their own making. So you are claiming that " a respected firm of solicitors " produced a document with libellous content? They surely must have solid proof for those claims that they have upheld.
"Before 2012 a former coach regularly used racist language" - that statement tarnishes perfectly innocent coaches employed at that time. Hence the need to publish in full detail those claims that have been upheld. That's balance.

There were forty odd accusations made, and only a handful proved. The report will therefor contain names of people who have been cleared. Think if they were named and shamed for something that hasn’t been proved they would be down their solicitors pretty quick

There were forty odd accusations made, and only a handful proved. The report will therefor contain names of people who have been cleared. Think if they were named and shamed for something that hasn’t been proved they would be down their solicitors pretty quick
Which is why I'm arguing that only those claims that have been upheld need to be revealed in full for the reason I've already stated.

Not sure if I can bring myself to walk through those Hutton gates on Sunday. I love the club and the county but this whole shite just gets worse and it’s tearing me apart. But I feel like I stil need my fix with the nights drawing in once more, and who knows when I’ll be back watching cricket with everything else going on. f***ing ***** :cry:

Not sure if I can bring myself to walk through those Hutton gates on Sunday. I love the club and the county but this whole shite just gets worse and it’s tearing me apart. But I feel like I stil need my fix with the nights drawing in once more, and who knows when I’ll be back watching cricket with everything else going on. f***ing ***** :cry:
Go, but bring a "Black/Asian Lives Matter" banner or saink? What I'd do

Back