Racism at Yorkshire CCC

YCCC have spent almost a year and a fortune investigating a n issue which Rafig has summarised in 1paragraph.
"The worrying thing for me is that Mr Chapman doesn't seem to realise the problem with these comments," Rafiq told ESPNcricinfo.

"He doesn't seem to realise they are demeaning. He doesn't seem to realise that one person's banter is another person's demise. He doesn't realise how black or Asian kids growing up around Barnsley will see these words and conclude the club isn't a welcoming environment for them. He just doesn't get it and you can't have a person like that involved in a position of authority".
It's patently obvious there's an issue,the difficulty is resolving it.

ESPNcricinfo has seen much of the evidence and is aware of some of the conclusions. Among the witness statements are reports of multiple Asian players claiming they were called 'smelly Paki' and a Yorkshire captain routinely using the word 'nigger.' More than one age-group coach also reports they were told not to select too many Asian youngsters in their side.

ESPNcricinfo has seen much of the evidence and is aware of some of the conclusions. Among the witness statements are reports of multiple Asian players claiming they were called 'smelly Paki' and a Yorkshire captain routinely using the word 'nigger.' More than one age-group coach also reports they were told not to select too many Asian youngsters in their side.

f***ing awful. I hope that anyone involved in this is banned from the game for life and the ECB comes down heavily upon the club.

If that last allegation stands up about the age group coaches that will be the killer. The other name calling is bad enough but that is institutional and systematic racism.

They must have engaged the worst PR firm in the world, they surely can't just front their way through this? The chairman is spot on, they should acknowledge this immediately and take some serious, quick action. Unbelievable that they're trying to sweep it under the carpet with all that's gone on in the last 12/18 months (not that any of what is that article has been acceptable for a hell of a long time).

There’s an incredible piece of info in that cricinfo article. The review was paid for by Yorkshire and the individuals performing the review were chosen by Yorkshire.

How can that be an independent review.

There’s an incredible piece of info in that cricinfo article. The review was paid for by Yorkshire and the individuals performing the review were chosen by Yorkshire.

How can that be an independent review.
In fairness they chose a law firm, who I think have certain duties of impartiality that comes with their license?
I think my days of watching the club and attending England matches there could be over for some time. Until things change. Properly
How the fuck do you just give up on cricket though, it’s such a huge part of my life? As for change, how do we as fans judge when sufficient change has happened.

Curse the bastards for putting us through this.

Last edited:
If that last allegation stands up about the age group coaches that will be the killer. The other name calling is bad enough but that is institutional and systematic racism.
Terrible and if thats coming from someone in a high standing position then the whole club needs to be sorted from top to bottom. Gayle has to go too

Terrible and if thats coming from someone in a high standing position then the whole club needs to be sorted from top to bottom. Gayle has to go too
Sounds like plenty of this is before Gayle's time and also stuff that Gayle wouldn't be involved with either as skipper or head coach. If that is proven about not selecting to many Asian players for development Teams is proven boy is there going to be a stink. It could Rick the whole of county and English cricket.

In fairness they chose a law firm, who I think have certain duties of impartiality that comes with their license?

How the fuck do you just give up on cricket though, it’s such a huge part of my life? As for change, how do we as fans judge when sufficient change has happened.

Curse the bastards for putting us through this.
I’ve got my club and even this year I’ve enjoyed watching other counties as a neutral just so I can say I’ve seen plenty of cricket this year whatever is around the corner.

But it’s not the same you’re right. I guess to judge the change I’d want to see a new regime in charge from top to bottom and evidence of the huge reservoir of Asian talent in the county being tapped into. But as you say we don’t know as fans what’s going on. When Azeem nearly captained and spun us to T20 glory in 2012 would you have thought in your wildest dreams that all this shite was going on in the background. Ffs!
Edit maybe he wasn’t captain then, I thought he was but perhaps it was later on as it still says Gale on the old Cricinfo
Scorecards. But the point is the same with his bowling

Last edited:

Back