Racism at Yorkshire CCC

Not a huge fan of this bloke at all, but not sure I feel comfortable them bringing this back, nearly 20 years after it, you have to allow people to learn from mistakes

It isn't just about Lehman though:

Among Lehmann's assistant coaches in the Hundred is Yorkshire's head coach Andrew Gale. He was banned for four games in 2015 for improper conduct after telling the South African batsman Ashwell Prince to "f**k off back to your own country, you Kolpak f****r."

Azeem Rafiq said:
“I’ve been in dressing rooms where things have been said, and, really, I should have stopped it. I had a captain who was openly racist.

Latest name targeted by Rafiq on BBC site
The decision not to renew his contract came only a few months after his son was still-born, which he says was "used against me for their own purposes" as he retold a conversation he says had with director of cricket Martyn Moxon.

Rafiq now runs a tea and snacks business in Rotherham
"On my first day back after losing my child, I was called into the office by the director of cricket and he gave me a dressing down," said Rafiq.

If I had a criticism of Moxon when at Durham it was that he appeared too nice a bloke to hand out a rollicking.

Shocking allegations

There needs to be a proper inquiry into this

I think it’s important in all these cases to get that facts out, as credible as the bloke seems, you can’t just take every thing he says as absolute gospel

It's shocking, yes, but at the same time not surprising. Of course, individuals cannot be named, but most people involved in cricket know who is being referred to.

It's doubly disappointing as, contrary to stereotyping, there's a real warmth in Yorkshire folk and many have just as much pride and passion in their local club as they do for their county side. The acts of a few bigots unfortunately gets reflected onto the decent folk too.

The appointment of Darren Lehmann is, well, not something I would've been pleased with if Essex had done that, as I"m sure Durham members wouldn't have been. Dry your eyes, Darren, nobody's buying that.

It's shocking, yes, but at the same time not surprising. Of course, individuals cannot be named, but most people involved in cricket know who is being referred to.

It's doubly disappointing as, contrary to stereotyping, there's a real warmth in Yorkshire folk and many have just as much pride and passion in their local club as they do for their county side. The acts of a few bigots unfortunately gets reflected onto the decent folk too.

The appointment of Darren Lehmann is, well, not something I would've been pleased with if Essex had done that, as I"m sure Durham members wouldn't have been. Dry your eyes, Darren, nobody's buying that.
My concern is if/when we get back in the grounds, how will we be received around the county grounds as spectators and members. Shit sticks unfortunately. I wouldn’t be comfortable “outing” myself as a Yorkie on a “foreign” ground currently

I'd hope most will take visiting Yorkshire supporters as they find them. It is only a hope, mind, but the buzz of being able to actually be at a match might override any misgivings.

The findings of an independent investigation haven't yet been completed so it's important not to prejudge. Nor should Azeem continue making further allegations public whilst the inquiry is on-going.

Back