Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Increased my 1RM deadlift by 57% today and 3RM by 43%. Gone from 70kg to 110kg for 1RM, and 70kg to 100kg for 3RM.

(To be fair it was only my 3rd or 4th time deadlifting since I started functional training at the end of Jan and I hadn't attempted to go higher than 70kg previously)

Last edited:

Cut down to 13st (82kg) on the nose and starting to notice the difference in body fat, managed to put up 110kg on the bench today (1R) which is 134% body weight - not sure how that measures up really, what do you guys think?

On strength level.com it says it's stronger than 62% of other submissions and if 101kg would be intermediate, 128kg is an "advanced" lifter. Not sure if strengthlevel.com is a reputable site though?
That's a really good bench IMO

I bench about 130 and weigh about 14 stone

My mate's just competed in the Euros (EPF) and had a shitty day by all accounts. Finished fifth in his category but went 3/9. Those three being his final attempts at his scheduled openers. None of the weights themselves were problematic apparently (although I only saw deadlift), he just kept jumping commands. His opening deadlift, for example, flew up. Unfortunately he got a bit excited and didn't wait for the down command.

He'd have been on for an total medal if he'd kept his composure, rather than just a squat medal.

My mate's just competed in the Euros (EPF) and had a shitty day by all accounts. Finished fifth in his category but went 3/9. Those three being his final attempts at his scheduled openers. None of the weights themselves were problematic apparently (although I only saw deadlift), he just kept jumping commands. His opening deadlift, for example, flew up. Unfortunately he got a bit excited and didn't wait for the down command.

He'd have been on for an total medal if he'd kept his composure, rather than just a squat medal.

This is why I don't really pay attention to what my competitors are doing in gym. Not everybody handles pressure on comp day very well. Warm up room at my last comp was full of jittery messes while I rolled a spliff on a 20kg plate

A 10 day break for me.

When I start again should I deload by 10% for the first week back or just resume from where I left off?

10 days you should be fine to jump back in tbh.

This is why I don't really pay attention to what my competitors are doing in gym. Not everybody handles pressure on comp day very well. Warm up room at my last comp was full of jittery messes while I rolled a spliff on a 20kg plate

It's not nerves that's the problem with him. It's exuberance. He's exactly the same in the gym. Maybe it's how he deals with nerves like.

He'll be brilliant in his final couple of years as a junior.

Last edited:
Started focusing more on strength lately. Seems to be the way forward. Seem to be dropping body fat but maintaining weight so presumably putting on decent muscle. Been doing 5-6 reps with as heavy as I can manage.

Might go now actually.

Started focusing more on strength lately. Seems to be the way forward. Seem to be dropping body fat but maintaining weight so presumably putting on decent muscle. Been doing 5-6 reps with as heavy as I can manage.

Might go now actually.
5 reps with an empty bar is nothing to be ashamed of Phil, don't let anyone tell you different

I'm on a 4 day bro split myself. But with barbell stuff as the basis of it.
Hows your training going like? I've had a back inside a chest infection which has had 2 course of antibiotics and it's still not gone, it's been 2 months now so I think I might have a proper manly virus or something.

Working my way back now like

Might go now actually.
None of my clothes fit me at the moment I look like the hulk.

I will look a bit daft as I have quite a small head and the larger clothes won't fit as I'm about 5 foot 8.

Some of it is fat but I will try to reduce that before the summer hols with some indoor rowing and reducing the cals slightly.

5 reps with an empty bar is nothing to be ashamed of Phil, don't let anyone tell you different

Hows your training going like? I've had a back inside a chest infection which has had 2 course of antibiotics and it's still not gone, it's been 2 months now so I think I might have a proper manly virus or something.

Working my way back now like

Good iirc. It's nice having a git pump in the old biceps there mate. Feels sexy iirc.

Back