Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Just started at Pure Gym the other week. I've always been in decent shape cardio wise, but really just looking to tone up and put on a bit more muscle than I've got at the minute. Any tips on where to start or what to focus on? At the minute I'm just going round getting used to all the machines, but eventually I'd like to have an actual plan of what I'm going to do.

Just started at Pure Gym the other week. I've always been in decent shape cardio wise, but really just looking to tone up and put on a bit more muscle than I've got at the minute. Any tips on where to start or what to focus on? At the minute I'm just going round getting used to all the machines, but eventually I'd like to have an actual plan of what I'm going to do.
Machines will do the job but I'd recommend switching to the weights room ASAP and using dumbbells & barbells for your workouts - you'll get better results quicker

@Dexter - Weights room you can do ;
  • Bench press
  • Squat
  • Deadlift
  • Barbell row
  • Overhead press
That would give you a full body workout (over a week) without a machine and be much better - put a bit of cardio and two abdominal sessions (15 mins) in and your laughing.

I'm sure someone can give you a programme incorporating these lifts - maybe strong lifts, although I've never done it and I'm not sure if I think has overhead press in

Last edited:
Machines will do the job but I'd recommend switching to the weights room ASAP and using dumbbells & barbells for your workouts - you'll get better results quicker

@Dexter - Weights room you can do ;
  • Bench press
  • Squat
  • Deadlift
  • Barbell row
  • Overhead press
That would give you a full body workout (over a week) without a machine and be much better - put a bit of cardio and two abdominal sessions (15 mins) in and your laughing.

I'm sure someone can give you a programme incorporating these lifts - maybe strong lifts, although I've never done it and I'm not sure if I think has overhead press in
All 5 are indeed the StrongLifts barbell movements.

Squat
Bench
Bent over row

Squat
Ohp
Deadlift

I do a variation:

Bench
Bor
Squats

Ohp
Chins/pulls
Deadlift once per week

Just started 5x5. Hoping I can stick to this plan as get bored quite easily doing the usual chest/tri's etc.
Need to cut quite a bit of weight - sitting at 96kg with probably 25%ish bf.
Read that 5x5 is quite effective on a cutting diet with some cardio so hopefully results will come over the next few month.

All 5 are indeed the StrongLifts barbell movements.

Squat
Bench
Bent over row

Squat
Ohp
Deadlift

I do a variation:

Bench
Bor
Squats

Ohp
Chins/pulls
Deadlift once per week

Excuse me for being ignorant but I don't understand this. Do you do the same 3 exercises every day?
I'm just getting into a rhythm and have been enjoying it, but I do back/biceps one day, Chest/triceps another day and shoulders/legs on the third day. I've been having a day off in between but I'm also considering just not having any days off... Am I better off just smashing squats and deadlifts instead?

I will do some research on this 5x5 program...

I've read a bit on it, it seems interesting. I've never done an overhead press before though. I'm thinking maybe I should get a personal trainer to show me the ropes...

Last edited:
Excuse me for being ignorant but I don't understand this. Do you do the same 3 exercises every day?
I'm just getting into a rhythm and have been enjoying it, but I do back/biceps one day, Chest/triceps another day and shoulders/legs on the third day. I've been having a day off in between but I'm also considering just not having any days off... Am I better off just smashing squats and deadlifts instead?

I will do some research on this 5x5 program...

I've read a bit on it, it seems interesting. I've never done an overhead press before though. I'm thinking maybe I should get a personal trainer to show me the ropes...
Sorry I didn't explain it very well.

I train Monday Wednesday Friday.

Session a would be something like squat then upper body push movement such as ohp then upper body pull such as pull ups.

Session b would be squat, another push e.g. Bench press then a pull e.g. Bent over row.

Alternate a and b, deadlift each Wednesday.

StrongLifts site explains the programme devised by mehdi, based on older research and programmes.

Also take a look at greyskull lp programme.

For a good ohp overview take a look at the rippetoe videos.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't explain it very well.

I train Monday Wednesday Friday.

Session a would be something like squat then upper body push movement such as ohp then upper body pull such as pull ups.

Session b would be squat, another push e.g. Bench press then a pull e.g. Bent over row.

Alternate a and b, deadlift each Wednesday.

StrongLifts site explains the programme devised by mehdi, based on older research and programmes.

Also take a look at greyskull lp programme.

For a good ohp overview take a look at the rippetoe videos.

Cheers, I read the StrongLifts site, I remember looking into it a few years ago now. Decided I'm going to give it a go earlier on, felt motivated and got ready and went to the gym, and it was f***ing closed for the bank holiday... I'll start tomorrow.

My first weight session in 3 years tonight. It was just the initial 20kg session on stronglifts but it felt great to be back!

Where ya been lol
I started working an hour away then my wife had another kid. I'm now working closer to home and the kids are old enough that I actually have a bit of time in the evenings. I picked up a weights bench on Gumtree at the weekend so I'm back into it!

Is there anypoint weight training when fat?

Ive read that building muscle will increase metabolism etc but I wont build muscle if reducing calories so its got me confused.

My first weight session in 3 years tonight. It was just the initial 20kg session on stronglifts but it felt great to be back!
I ordered some 1.25kg plates as I didn't have any before and was starting to find the 5kg leaps on the squats tough!

They arrived today so I've tried them out tonight and haven't found the increments anywhere near as hard as they were before!

Been out of sorts with my squats since a lung op last year, but today did 4x3 reps at 80kg, which is what I was squatting before the slice n dice.
So f***ing go me

Back