Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
I'm starting to find I'm struggling to get the squat over my head now that I've got up to 50kg. What can I do as an alternative for 3-4 weeks until I get a squat stand with my birthday money? I don't want to do my neck in!

Eh? Are you picking it off the floor and onto your back or summat? :lol:
Not any more, it's too heavy. I don't have a squat rack (yet), and the built in barbell holder on my bench is no good for squats. I've been pretty much been doing a power clean then shoulder press than lower onto my back. It's my birthday in 3 weeks and a squat rack/stand is on the list.

Not any more, it's too heavy. I don't have a squat rack (yet), and the built in barbell holder on my bench is no good for squats. I've been pretty much been doing a power clean then shoulder press than lower onto my back. It's my birthday in 3 weeks and a squat rack/stand is on the list.
Power clean it and front squat

Btw folks, been consistently back at it for a month. Recently threw a belt on and can still pull 200kg comfortably, which I did not expect at all after losing so much weight and not training for more than a few weeks here and there.

Just trying to be as committed as I can to a basic Starting Strength template.

Btw folks, been consistently back at it for a month. Recently threw a belt on and can still pull 200kg comfortably, which I did not expect at all after losing so much weight and not training for more than a few weeks here and there.

Just trying to be as committed as I can to a basic Starting Strength template.
240 plus squat not far away now like, but with knee wraps, I'm gonna finally join a fed and join the ABPU

The Argos clearance shop up Stanley have adidas power racks in at the minute. It has cable attachment on the back and dip attachments. No idea what the max weight it can hold is. £185 reduced from £450. Had 4 or 5 in when I was up there today.

First time posting on here for some time (various reasons), but I've just got back into lifting this last month. Took quite a hiatus through various injuries (knee then back then neck), eventually stopping all weights last year but missed it so got a personal trainer to try and build me back up properly.

When I stopped I had made some decent progress on Stronglifts and similar routines (bearing in mind I'd never lifted until in my 30s!): Squat 120kg, Deadlift 140kg, Bench: 75kg all for 5 reps. Amazing how much muscle memory I still had in the legs. After slowly working through dumbell lunges, front squats and barbell step-ups for a few weeks I did my first proper squatting session this week - did 3x8 at 105kg which I was pretty happy with as a start! Bench I seem to have lost much more strength (struggling at 60kg for 10 reps which used to be easy) but I'm sure it'll come back eventually.

Deadlifts though... just can't seem to shake the niggling lower back pain that stopped me doing it before. First session with the trainer we tried them and I tweaked it (doing 80kg). Next couple of sessions he had me doing rack pulls instead to try to concentrate the work more on the upper back. Worked up to 110kg which felt absolutely fine but even though my form was spot on (according to him), was still in serious pain the next couple of days. He's shifted me onto machines now for most of my back work to try to work through the problem and build strength across the posterior before tackling the deadlifts again but it's really annoying because I love deadlifting - just wondering now whether it might be a step too far to ever get back into it... anyone else have similar niggling issues like that? I blame being tall!

The Argos clearance shop up Stanley have adidas power racks in at the minute. It has cable attachment on the back and dip attachments. No idea what the max weight it can hold is. £185 reduced from £450. Had 4 or 5 in when I was up there today.
A bit far for me to travel. My folks have bought me a basic squat stand for my birthday so from Wednesday I'll be sorted.

A bit far for me to travel. My folks have bought me a basic squat stand for my birthday so from Wednesday I'll be sorted.
Ah that's so sweet! Mummy and daddy 's ickle super strong baby boy! ;)

The most I ever received for my birthday was an extra shift down t' pit but I was still grateful.

First time posting on here for some time (various reasons), but I've just got back into lifting this last month. Took quite a hiatus through various injuries (knee then back then neck), eventually stopping all weights last year but missed it so got a personal trainer to try and build me back up properly.

Deadlifts though... just can't seem to shake the niggling lower back pain that stopped me doing it before. First session with the trainer we tried them and I tweaked it (doing 80kg). Next couple of sessions he had me doing rack pulls instead to try to concentrate the work more on the upper back. Worked up to 110kg which felt absolutely fine but even though my form was spot on (according to him), was still in serious pain the next couple of days. He's shifted me onto machines now for most of my back work to try to work through the problem and build strength across the posterior before tackling the deadlifts again but it's really annoying because I love deadlifting - just wondering now whether it might be a step too far to ever get back into it... anyone else have similar niggling issues like that? I blame being tall!
I reached a 1RM of 130kg on deadlift but I was told that my back was rounding so I dropped right back down to about 80kg but did more reps.

I worked my way back up to 110kg 1x5 last week but I think that my form is suffering again already. I think I'll just do 3x5 sets of 100kg as I do quite like my 'deadlift Wednesdays'.

Last edited:
Ah that's so sweet! Mummy and daddy 's ickle super strong baby boy! ;)

The most I ever received for my birthday was an extra shift down t' pit but I was still grateful.

I reached a 1RM of 130kg on deadlift but I was told that my back was rounding so I dropped right back down to about 80kg but did more reps.

I worked my way back up to 110kg 1x5 last week but I think that my form is suffering again already. I think I'll just do 3x5 sets of 100kg as I do quite like my 'deadlift Wednesdays'.
Unless it's absolutely massive then allow yourself a slight form dip just to squeeze out last rep or something because once you know you can lift it then you'll be more confident when it comes round next time, I'm not talking shit form just don't halt your progress for really small form breakdown

Unless it's absolutely massive then allow yourself a slight form dip just to squeeze out last rep or something because once you know you can lift it then you'll be more confident when it comes round next time, I'm not talking shit form just don't halt your progress for really small form breakdown
Ok thanks for the tip.

I should have mentioned that I wouldn't do 3x5 deadlifts on the same day as doing hods of squatting.

Back