Post a pic of your axe

That would definitely be another option but being a HH setup, does it have a coil tap option for single coil tones? The Pacifica also has alnico pickups rather than the ceramics of the Squire. Then to top it off, the Squire comes in at almost £100 more. So, putting my love for tele's to one side for the moment, I think the Pacifica would still be the better buy for someone starting out. Plus, I still don't think Fender have ever squared the circle when it comes to humbuckers, even with their pearlys of the 90's. However, I can see why someone would still go that route, the Squier's a real bonny guitar in pearl white.
Easy enough to fit a pull push switch to coil tap. I think the squire is better than a Mexican made fender. As for the Yamaha I just think it’s a dull guitar and I think you need to love your guitar to pick it up and play it. The Squire will last you for years and a few mods will make it awesome. I bought a fender tele but now wish I’d saved the £300 and got the contemporary squire and then bought a better amp

Mine's a mess to be honest. It's a bit of a project guitar that requires a fair bit of TLC. I bought it off someone in Scotland on ebay who'd replaced the pickups with some Seymour Duncans and done a shoddy job of the electrics. I got myself a soldering iron but to be honest I'm nee use at that sorta thing either. It's a pea green finish also and really I'd like to give it a sparkle finish in black.
This lads local and rated
Dwilson Guitars - Basschat

Easy enough to fit a pull push switch to coil tap. I think the squire is better than a Mexican made fender. As for the Yamaha I just think it’s a dull guitar and I think you need to love your guitar to pick it up and play it. The Squire will last you for years and a few mods will make it awesome. I bought a fender tele but now wish I’d saved the £300 and got the contemporary squire and then bought a better amp
I get what you're saying but for someone starting out on guitar, I'd imagine modding their axe will be the last thing on their mind. I've had plenty of Fenders through my hands and you're right in the respect that they are all so well built now, a blind man would find it hard to distinguish a USA model from a Squier half of the time. In fact, imo, its now getting down to things like premium timbers and pickups alone in what you pay the big bucks for. Getting back to the Yammy, fair do's, they don't do anything for you, I get that. But the fact they have been a top seller for thirty years with virtually no design changes would suggest plenty of people are happy with them. I do agree that they're not a particularly interesting guitar but most guitars that don't have that instantly recognisable Fender or Gibson body shape also suffer from that to an extent. That said, for me, the Yammy spec of alder body, SSH alnico pickup combination, good quality bridge/tuners at £240 brand new is almost impossible to beat. And for someone happy to go second hand, you can pick them up for about £130 or even £75 for the original 112 with ceramic pickups which is still a great playing competent guitar. You needn't convince me about tele's, I love em' but I'm just looking at it from the point of someone starting out that is not predisposed to the conformities of the Fender/Gibson path.
As for your own predicament, I've been there a thousand times mate. That's the story of just about every guitarist I've ever met. You'll find what you're after in the long run as long as you stick to sound alone and don't become a gear junkie. Good luck with that!

Mine's a mess to be honest. It's a bit of a project guitar that requires a fair bit of TLC. I bought it off someone in Scotland on ebay who'd replaced the pickups with some Seymour Duncans and done a shoddy job of the electrics. I got myself a soldering iron but to be honest I'm nee use at that sorta thing either. It's a pea green finish also and really I'd like to give it a sparkle finish in black.

Jimmy Page??

I get what you're saying but for someone starting out on guitar, I'd imagine modding their axe will be the last thing on their mind. I've had plenty of Fenders through my hands and you're right in the respect that they are all so well built now, a blind man would find it hard to distinguish a USA model from a Squier half of the time. In fact, imo, its now getting down to things like premium timbers and pickups alone in what you pay the big bucks for. Getting back to the Yammy, fair do's, they don't do anything for you, I get that. But the fact they have been a top seller for thirty years with virtually no design changes would suggest plenty of people are happy with them. I do agree that they're not a particularly interesting guitar but most guitars that don't have that instantly recognisable Fender or Gibson body shape also suffer from that to an extent. That said, for me, the Yammy spec of alder body, SSH alnico pickup combination, good quality bridge/tuners at £240 brand new is almost impossible to beat. And for someone happy to go second hand, you can pick them up for about £130 or even £75 for the original 112 with ceramic pickups which is still a great playing competent guitar. You needn't convince me about tele's, I love em' but I'm just looking at it from the point of someone starting out that is not predisposed to the conformities of the Fender/Gibson path.
As for your own predicament, I've been there a thousand times mate. That's the story of just about every guitarist I've ever met. You'll find what you're after in the long run as long as you stick to sound alone and don't become a gear junkie. Good luck with that!

The Anderton’s blind test on Squier / Fender guitars was quite interesting....

Last edited:
.Jimmy Page??

Aye. Always fancied one, but instead of trying to do it on the cheap n buy one off ebay I wish I'd held off and just gotten a new 'un.

To be honest the finish would be the least of my worries. It's the electrics I'd need sorting. And ideally I'd like to change the pots for the concentric type. The bridge is a mess too so I'd probably wanna change that.

Last edited:
Aye. Always fancied one, but instead of trying to do it on the cheap n buy one off ebay I wish I'd held off and just gotten a new 'un.

To be honest the finish would be the least of my worries. It's the electrics I'd need sorting. And ideally I'd like to change the pots for the concentric type. The bridge is a mess too so I'd probably wanna change that.
Alan dingwall in sunderland is good ,he's on fb

When I started out playing (33 ish ) years ago I didn’t have the choice that new players have today. Being left handed was a twat and I did try for about 6 moth to play right handed but it didn’t happen. I would go to Newcastle to the guitar shops and drool over the Les Pauls and USA sunburst strats/telecasters. They would have like one or 2 shitty beat up Japanese copy’s of Les Pauls with bolt on necks and that was it. My first was just that a satellite Les Paul copy.. now new players have a vast amount to choose from and a great network to get what they want. I was in a second hand shop the other day and there was a fender jaguar there just looking amazing but unfortunately it wasn’t a lefty and I wasn’t gonna live out my dream of being kurt cobain..I will get one ☝️

When I started out playing (33 ish ) years ago I didn’t have the choice that new players have today. Being left handed was a twat and I did try for about 6 moth to play right handed but it didn’t happen. I would go to Newcastle to the guitar shops and drool over the Les Pauls and USA sunburst strats/telecasters. They would have like one or 2 shitty beat up Japanese copy’s of Les Pauls with bolt on necks and that was it. My first was just that a satellite Les Paul copy.. now new players have a vast amount to choose from and a great network to get what they want. I was in a second hand shop the other day and there was a fender jaguar there just looking amazing but unfortunately it wasn’t a lefty and I wasn’t gonna live out my dream of being kurt cobain..I will get one ☝️

Build one?

Logon or register to see this image

JG GUITAR BODY 2.1KG 2PC Swamp Ash REJECT 632263 | eBay

I've been playing for approx 45 years and know exactly where you're coming from because me and my mates have exactly the same story (apart from I'm not a lefty, I feel your pain there). My dad got me my first guitar (a no name Les Paul copy) from a second hand shop and got me a combo amp from a company called Linear which only had one clean channel and no way of getting the distorted rock sound which I so craved. Anyway, I eventually found out I could get a unconvincing but passable distorted sound by loosening the machine head button screws so that they buzzed like billio and I was away. Me and my mates used to spend saturday mornings in White's guitar shop (when it was next to the Durham book centre) before going to the match. Which was great cos all the lads starting punk bands and stuff used to be in teaching each other stuff and unlike nowadays the staff were happy to just let you get on with it.
So putting nostalgia to one side for the moment. Us banging heads over the models we're pushing as "best starter" guitars is laughable when you think of the quality you can now get for your money. Guitars are like cars, they're all pretty good nowadays. In fact, I've actually now sold most of my higher end guitars and I'm getting as much (if not more) enjoyment out of playing the cheapo (but good) guitars I have left (which is still a few like). Perhaps, I'm going through a guitar mid life crisis and craving that feeling of just making do which I had when first starting out. If there's one thing I've learned over the years though and would like to pass on to a starter. It's, dedicate the time you spend worrying about the name that's not on your headstock to actually practicing and you won't go far wrong.

I've been playing for approx 45 years and know exactly where you're coming from because me and my mates have exactly the same story (apart from I'm not a lefty, I feel your pain there). My dad got me my first guitar (a no name Les Paul copy) from a second hand shop and got me a combo amp from a company called Linear which only had one clean channel and no way of getting the distorted rock sound which I so craved. Anyway, I eventually found out I could get a unconvincing but passable distorted sound by loosening the machine head button screws so that they buzzed like billio and I was away. Me and my mates used to spend saturday mornings in White's guitar shop (when it was next to the Durham book centre) before going to the match. Which was great cos all the lads starting punk bands and stuff used to be in teaching each other stuff and unlike nowadays the staff were happy to just let you get on with it.
So putting nostalgia to one side for the moment. Us banging heads over the models we're pushing as "best starter" guitars is laughable when you think of the quality you can now get for your money. Guitars are like cars, they're all pretty good nowadays. In fact, I've actually now sold most of my higher end guitars and I'm getting as much (if not more) enjoyment out of playing the cheapo (but good) guitars I have left (which is still a few like). Perhaps, I'm going through a guitar mid life crisis and craving that feeling of just making do which I had when first starting out. If there's one thing I've learned over the years though and would like to pass on to a starter. It's, dedicate the time you spend worrying about the name that's not on your headstock to actually practicing and you won't go far wrong.
Or maybe they think the more they pay for the guitar the better they will play.

Hasn't worked for me yet.

Hasn't worked for anyone in my experience. At least after the one month honeymoon period works off.

That would be me anarl.
I’ve got some f***ing class guitars but I’m a useless plodder.

Mind a couple of things happened in my life recently that inspired me to try and break out of my years-long comfort zone of moving fluently among the major chords and not much else besides, and I’ve been practicing - even if only twenty minutes or so - every day. Finally checking out Justin et al too and can actually see myself improving a bit anarl.

That would be me anarl.

Mind a couple of things happened in my life recently that inspired me to try and break out of my years-long comfort zone of moving fluently among the major chords and not much else besides, and I’ve been practicing - even if only twenty minutes or so - every day. Finally checking out Justin et al too and can actually see myself improving a bit anarl.
That's great that you've managed to find a way back into the swing of things. Regarding your twenty minute sessions, I'm very much of the opinion that short sessions are the way to go. That way, you don't sicken yourself and you look forward to picking the guitar up for the next one. Also, it gives your brain more time to digest what you have been learning when you're only learning in bite size chunks. Of course, everyone's different in their preferred learning regime but if its working for you, keep at it mate.

That would be me anarl.

Yes, you do do have some class guitars, that Black Falcon is particularly desirable!

Back