Post a pic of your axe

Nice Axe! - loved the Epi and the tone of it, but the Tele (even cheap) was a revelation - far nicer to play, natural shape ... now I find the LP is just plain heavy and cumbersome. Pics to follow once moderated, but I has:

Peavey Strat (FS, cos I have one too many)
Danelectro 59 (Possibly FS)
Epiphone Les Paul (90's Samick)
Harley Benton Hollowbody (HB guitars are cracking bits of kit for the cash)
2018 Custom Shop Baja Tele

Harley Benton Bass arrives tomorrow :)

View media item 4275View media item 4274

Nice Axe! - loved the Epi and the tone of it, but the Tele (even cheap) was a revelation - far nicer to play, natural shape ... now I find the LP is just plain heavy and cumbersome. Pics to follow once moderated, but I has:

Peavey Strat (FS, cos I have one too many)
Danelectro 59 (Possibly FS)
Epiphone Les Paul (90's Samick)
Harley Benton Hollowbody (HB guitars are cracking bits of kit for the cash)
2018 Custom Shop Baja Tele

Harley Benton Bass arrives tomorrow :)
Love mine anarl but they don't cut it live in my experience. Nee bother for blasting in the house but lost in a live mix.

And my Gibson Hummingbird been a want for years picked up start of this year

Logon or register to see this image
Now this I like. Lovely finish on that.

I have a Danelectro gathering dust too.

Strat or Tele? Gonna dip my toe into the world of electrics. Just on ordering an amp as we speak.

Will go and play with some obviously. But what are the differences or preferences of those in the know?

Strat or Tele? Gonna dip my toe into the world of electrics. Just on ordering an amp as we speak.

Will go and play with some obviously. But what are the differences or preferences of those in the know?

Personally, Tele. Just find it better balanced and the tone is a lot more twangy - don't mistake this for country, add some overdrive and you end up with Springsteen, Stones, etc.

Ultimately, personal preference - had an Epi Les Paul for years, but had my eyes opened with the Tele.

Really depends upon what you want it for. If its just to noodle about with to get a feel for an electric with plenty of variation of sounds, then go for a strat. A tele will give you less variation that are also a bit more specific. If its for out and out rock, I'd avoid both and go for a guitar with a twin humbucker setup. If I was dipping my foot into the electric market for the first time, I'd go with the Yamaha Pacifica 112v. They're a lot of guitar for not a lot of money and will give you a good variety of sounds with that all important humbucker in case you need to rock it up a bit.

Really depends upon what you want it for. If its just to noodle about with to get a feel for an electric with plenty of variation of sounds, then go for a strat. A tele will give you less variation that are also a bit more specific. If its for out and out rock, I'd avoid both and go for a guitar with a twin humbucker setup. If I was dipping my foot into the electric market for the first time, I'd go with the Yamaha Pacifica 112v. They're a lot of guitar for not a lot of money and will give you a good variety of sounds with that all important humbucker in case you need to rock it up a bit.

+1 for the Yamaha ... or Harley Benton from Thoman.de

I think I would buy the squire contemporary HH telecaster if I was looking for the best of both worlds..

I think I would buy the squire contemporary HH telecaster if I was looking for the best of both worlds..
That would definitely be another option but being a HH setup, does it have a coil tap option for single coil tones? The Pacifica also has alnico pickups rather than the ceramics of the Squire. Then to top it off, the Squire comes in at almost £100 more. So, putting my love for tele's to one side for the moment, I think the Pacifica would still be the better buy for someone starting out. Plus, I still don't think Fender have ever squared the circle when it comes to humbuckers, even with their pearlys of the 90's. However, I can see why someone would still go that route, the Squier's a real bonny guitar in pearl white.

I loved my Danelectro, had it years but it was pinched from The Bunker.
Mine's a mess to be honest. It's a bit of a project guitar that requires a fair bit of TLC. I bought it off someone in Scotland on ebay who'd replaced the pickups with some Seymour Duncans and done a shoddy job of the electrics. I got myself a soldering iron but to be honest I'm nee use at that sorta thing either. It's a pea green finish also and really I'd like to give it a sparkle finish in black.

Back