Post a pic of your axe

I've been playing for approx 45 years and know exactly where you're coming from because me and my mates have exactly the same story (apart from I'm not a lefty, I feel your pain there). My dad got me my first guitar (a no name Les Paul copy) from a second hand shop and got me a combo amp from a company called Linear which only had one clean channel and no way of getting the distorted rock sound which I so craved. Anyway, I eventually found out I could get a unconvincing but passable distorted sound by loosening the machine head button screws so that they buzzed like billio and I was away. Me and my mates used to spend saturday mornings in White's guitar shop (when it was next to the Durham book centre) before going to the match. Which was great cos all the lads starting punk bands and stuff used to be in teaching each other stuff and unlike nowadays the staff were happy to just let you get on with it.
So putting nostalgia to one side for the moment. Us banging heads over the models we're pushing as "best starter" guitars is laughable when you think of the quality you can now get for your money. Guitars are like cars, they're all pretty good nowadays. In fact, I've actually now sold most of my higher end guitars and I'm getting as much (if not more) enjoyment out of playing the cheapo (but good) guitars I have left (which is still a few like). Perhaps, I'm going through a guitar mid life crisis and craving that feeling of just making do which I had when first starting out. If there's one thing I've learned over the years though and would like to pass on to a starter. It's, dedicate the time you spend worrying about the name that's not on your headstock to actually practicing and you won't go far wrong.
Deffo I look at some of the new stuff coming out and it’s amazing for the price..

I’ve put together a few guitars over the years and that looks an awesome project.... I will look on eBay now. Do you make it a Johnny marr or a kurt cobain tribute

Last edited:
Horses for courses but that red Danelectro looks like it belongs in a toy shop window! Hope it sounds good!

If I ever did a home made project I’d move heaven and earth to get some of that fossilized wood they found in New Zealand and make a neck-through bass. Must be like cast iron. I’d stain some in different colours and make a plywood laminate block for the body so the bevels would expose the different colours like those Wal basses from the eighties that Mick Karn from Japan used and the lad from Imagination used to ponce about with on TOTP.

I’d get a double pick up set - EMGs or Bartolinis or the ones sadders has on his Music Man. That’s a nice bit of kit mind @sadders but they always look a bit ‘bald’ to me with only one pickup. With two you could set one with a springy top sound and the other with a booming bass and mix the two. And I’d get the fret markers that light up like the Alembics.

Bookmark this for about 2045!

Aye. Always fancied one, but instead of trying to do it on the cheap n buy one off ebay I wish I'd held off and just gotten a new 'un.

To be honest the finish would be the least of my worries. It's the electrics I'd need sorting. And ideally I'd like to change the pots for the concentric type. The bridge is a mess too so I'd probably wanna change that.
Check Retrovibe facebook page today,got two Tele's he's built £160 if you buy today.Makes some good low price stuff

Horses for courses but that red Danelectro looks like it belongs in a toy shop window! Hope it sounds good!

If I ever did a home made project I’d move heaven and earth to get some of that fossilized wood they found in New Zealand and make a neck-through bass. Must be like cast iron. I’d stain some in different colours and make a plywood laminate block for the body so the bevels would expose the different colours like those Wal basses from the eighties that Mick Karn from Japan used and the lad from Imagination used to ponce about with on TOTP.

I’d get a double pick up set - EMGs or Bartolinis or the ones sadders has on his Music Man. That’s a nice bit of kit mind @sadders but they always look a bit ‘bald’ to me with only one pickup. With two you could set one with a springy top sound and the other with a booming bass and mix the two. And I’d get the fret markers that light up like the Alembics.

Bookmark this for about 2045!
On the Musicman, I always liked the look of the single soap bar pup. Looks quite industrial to me because of its size.

Went to Riff Raff for the first time yesterday, ended up buying another! :oops:

Whilst I was there he had two calls of people searching for guitars that had been stolen in the Sunderland area. He also told me that his son had had seven nicked in the last few weeks.

In the words of that old 70’s advertising campaign “watch out, watch out there’s a thief about.”​

Went to Riff Raff for the first time yesterday, ended up buying another! :oops:

Whilst I was there he had two calls of people searching for guitars that had been stolen in the Sunderland area. He also told me that his son had had seven nicked in the last few weeks.

In the words of that old 70’s advertising campaign “watch out, watch out there’s a thief about.”​
Nicked from property or gigs?

It sounded like vehicles......
Good lad Shaun
Most of stuff I've seen have been vehicles
Tempting to leave stuff in car late after gigs etc

Had my second dip into bass 5 strings with a Squier jazz
Last owner upgraded pick ups and it has a stacked pre amp pot
Very impressed with quality for price ,just the spacing to suss

Last edited:
Logon or register to see this image

Updated pic of my flock ,nearly all different from last line up
Left to right
90s Japanese Fender jazz fretless
Newish Squier jazz 5 string
Sadowksy Vintage Jazz
Cort b4 active fretless
Prometeus custom built bass from Italy
Jazz bass bitsa, Squier body American neck etc
90s Japanese Fender precision 62ri

Logon or register to see this image

Updated pic of my flock ,nearly all different from last line up
Left to right
90s Japanese Fender jazz fretless
Newish Squier jazz 5 string
Sadowksy Vintage Jazz
Cort b4 active fretless
Prometeus custom built bass from Italy
Jazz bass bitsa, Squier body American neck etc
90s Japanese Fender precision 62ri
Tha needs to send em back cheif, theyve all got strings missing ;)

I finally made the plunge (after asking advice in here over a year ago) and bought myself a bass. I've bought a Squier VM Jazz Bass and Ampeg BA 108 to get me started. Ordered online and annoyingly the amp is due to come tomorrow but no guitar until Thursday...

Back