Pompey, coventry and us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So winning the games in hand are important but the games in hand are not important?
No that's not what I meant. Look at last season we had games in hand but couldn't capitalise on them so I'd rather play the games when we are meant to and try to get the points sorted rather than having to get them later on seeing how we fucked it up before.

Agreed, there's too many games where it doesn't click and we're relying on a wonder goal to get us the points. Parkinson has us looking solid at the back, we actually play some decent football and at times we look good enough for automatics but I can see too many games where the goal doesn't come. Feel for Parkinson a bit because he's been left without a goalscoring striker. We also need to start performing for 90 minutes, loads of games recently seem to have had one good half and one dreadful one, we need consistency

aye that’s exactly it like, if we had a striker who could bang in 20 or even 15 a season it would see us up I reckon. f***ing Grigg man 😩

Pompey won the last 9 in all competitions, Peterborough the last 5 in league, they got szmodics on loan from Bristol to replace maddison and he has been excellent.

Safe to say that almost all the promotion rivals are back on good form whereas not long ago it seemed no-one could put a decent run together. It makes the games against them even more important.

Coventry v Pompey on Tuesday will be interesting and gives us a chance to draw closer to at least one of them

Rotherham don’t play presumably their bury game

All other top 6 have what would appear easy games

Massive game for Ipswich yesterday, are they out of top 6 for first time this season?
Looking forward to this game. Most probably the hardest game we have left. At least if we lose we can count it as one of our games in hand gone. Win and then I will start believing that we could do it.
I like Lafferty for his hold up play but I think not having a regular goal scorer up front will cost us
We have the same problem. But at least we have several players who are capable of getting forward and scoring. Just not often enough.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this game. Most probably the hardest game we have left. At least if we lose we can count it as one of our games in hand gone. Win and then I will start believing that we could do it.
Id rather you drew but wouldn't mind if you beat them since we have you to play

I recon either Portsmouth, Coventry or us will be top 2! Last ten games the form guide is looking good. I think Pompy will win the league and I hope we beat coventry to 2nd!

We need to keep the momentim going and not blow up like we did at the end of last season.
Transfer window being closed the off field antics cant effect the rest if the season.
The team seem to be coming together as a group and working for each other. I just hope the mid season dive in results is far behind us!

Have you seen the gap between us and the top 2?

We’ll finish 5th but this time we’ll actually get a win at Wembley

Rotherham, Coventry top 2
Pompey 3rd. Peterborough 4th. Ipswich 6th

Peterborough fall apart in play offs. We beat Pompey with a nervy 2-1 at Wembley. Scenes.

This will happen so you might as well all relax

Last edited:
No that's not what I meant. Look at last season we had games in hand but couldn't capitalise on them so I'd rather play the games when we are meant to and try to get the points sorted rather than having to get them later on seeing how we fucked it up before.
So would I. But what one team did last year doesn't mean a lot. You could choose another team that had a different result.

I would prefer to be us with a point behind Peterborough but played 3 games less. They need several clubs to have bad results and also to keep winning. And we all know what it is like to lose a game you should win.

Still plenty of twists and turns yet.

We’ve got to hope we’ve got our bad run(s) out of the way and some of the sides above us are yet to have theirs.

I can’t see everyone of the five sides above us maintaining promotion winning form but I’m not convinced three of them will falter sufficiently to give us a chance of automatic promotion.

I think we’ll finish 4th or 5th and have to go through the playoff agony once again.

Clutching at very thin straws the fact there’s so many teams involved this season is probably a good thing as sides in the mix will be taking points off each other.

Id rather you drew but wouldn't mind if you beat them since we have you to play
I wouldn't be unhappy with a draw. But a win is important. If they win they will most probably finish above us. And also finish in the top two.
Have you seen the gap between us and the top 2?
But you have a game in hand and teams have to play each other. The table will change several times before the end of the season.

Last edited:
Anything to prolong the season is all good.
You were all downbeat only weeks back thinking of a mid table finish and now with the recent form you are back in contention.
That’s football and what can happen as you know. Sometimes it’s easier to call it from another club as you don’t let your heart rule your head.
Consistency is everything and a few wins gives that self belief again. Bet you are now wishing that Ross was axed earlier, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and only the future can be changed.
It’s looking good though however needs to carry a health warning :)

Coventry v Pompey on Tuesday will be interesting and gives us a chance to draw closer to at least one of them

Rotherham don’t play presumably their bury game

All other top 6 have what would appear easy games

Massive game for Ipswich yesterday, are they out of top 6 for first time this season?

They are yeah, they have a shite manager so they were always going to eventually struggle. He's one of those managers that keeps getting really good jobs despite being f***ing terrible apart from a two or three year spell years and years ago. He usually goes somewhere and leaves a year or so later having failed. He's coming up two years at Ipswich so will be leaving there soon if his previous history is anything to go by.

Still plenty of twists and turns yet.

We’ve got to hope we’ve got our bad run(s) out of the way and some of the sides above us are yet to have theirs.

I can’t see everyone of the five sides above us maintaining promotion winning form but I’m not convinced three of them will falter sufficiently to give us a chance of automatic promotion.

I think we’ll finish 4th or 5th and have to go through the playoff agony once again.

Clutching at very thin straws the fact there’s so many teams involved this season is probably a good thing as sides in the mix will be taking points off each other.

I don't think a single team hasn't had a bad run yet this season. The top teams have quite a few less points than the top teams at this stage last season. All of us are capable of dropping points, if two can put a decent run on from now till the end they'll go up as no-one is that good we'll see three of four winning most games.

As things stand I think it's looking like Rotherham and Portsmouth will be top 2 with Sunderland, Coventry and Peterborough playing out for 3rd, 4th and 5th places.

We

Have only started winning games away from home at the end of last year. Now all of our away games are against sides in the bottom half. Before then we were in the same position in the table but the other clubs had games in hand over us. Now we have the games in hand because of the FA cup run. Win the games in hand and we go top whatever the other clubs do.

But as we all know it isn't as simple as that. We also play most of the top sides at home (kind of)
As we know, games in hand doesn't guarantee points.

As we know, games in hand doesn't guarantee points.
Has anyone said they do?

But the closer to the end of the season you get the more they can mean. For instance Peterborough have 13 games left. We have 16 games left. We nearly have 25% more games left than them and are only a point behind them. But it can also work both ways. They get a rest when we have to play.

Nothing is simple at this stage of the season. There will be a few games where teams at the bottom fighting for survival will beat teams at the top.

But whatever happens I prefer to be the team with games in hand than the teams hoping that team keeps losing. We are only 2 points behind second place and 2 games in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back