Polis Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eh, and eh?
The number of police in a lower league game per number of supporters is the same as a premier league game. c. 1 police per 50 supporters.

The way in which this data was derived was from FOI requests, which seems to be the mainstay of journalism now. They dont go an investigate things they just bang out 100s of FOI requests and publish data Daily Mail style.

The number of police in a lower league game per number of supporters is the same as a premier league game. c. 1 police per 50 supporters.

The way in which this data was derived was from FOI requests, which seems to be the mainstay of journalism now. They dont go an investigate things they just bang out 100s of FOI requests and publish data Daily Mail style.
So why the disparity in costs between us and Mags?

So why the disparity in costs
Because there are more supporters at Sunderland than at somewhere like Gillingham, therefore more coppers. There wouldnt be a disparity in costs as it is a standard cost per head, it would simply be the numbers involved. Maybe 20 at Gillingham, 300 Sunderland (made up figures)

Because there are more supporters at Sunderland than at somewhere like Gillingham, therefore more coppers

I think he’s getting at the disparity in costs between Newcastle and Sunderland considering we averaged around 15K more than you last season.

between us and the mags
Same principle as already shown loads of times. More private land at SoL so we pay for those. Hardly any public land at SDA so it is absorbed into the everyday cost of policing therefore not chargeable to the club. People suggest a greate number of stewards inside the stadium at SDA as well so reduced policing numbers again.

Read post #35

Last edited:
Same principle as already shown loads of times. More private land at SoL so we pay for those. Hardly any public land at SDA so it is absorbed into the everyday cost of policing. People suggest a greate number of stewards inside the stadium at SDA as well so reduced policing numbers again.
what are they policing ? sizzlers? Elite Sweets ?

Same principle as already shown loads of times. More private land at SoL so we pay for those. Hardly any public land at SDA so it is absorbed into the everyday cost of policing therefore not chargeable to the club. People suggest a greate number of stewards inside the stadium at SDA as well so reduced policing numbers again.

Information that could be gained from looking deeper into the available resource rather than, as you suggest, lazily getting top-level stats and banging an article out.

Information that could be gained from looking deeper into the available resource rather than, as you suggest, lazily getting top-level stats and banging an article out.
We could get the local MP on to help out.... knowing Sunderland, half the council and local paper are mags anyway

bottom line is the difference in costs per attendance

We could get the local MP on to help out.... knowing Sunderland, half the council and local paper are mags anyway

bottom line is the difference in costs per attendance

I think you’re incapable of understanding. The theories have already being laid out but going by the comment above you seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about Newcastle and are unwilling to be objective about it.

a) which Premier League match is being used for comparison?

b) These aren't representative cases, these are a list of some of the over the top ones, hence the << Experts tell me some clubs believe games are "often over-policed" >> comment.

If the powers that be didn't try to control and hide such information the media wouldn't need to use FOI requests. Do you think the police have a legitimate reason not to release this data when requested? Do you think that they shouldn't have been ordered to release it?

PS How would 'investigative reporting' work in this case? You want them to get coppers drunk and then pump them for information? Or do you want journalists to be going through the police bins and trying to piece together shredded documents and knackered hard-drives?

Last edited:
Police resource is already stretched as it is, I don’t think there should be resource dedicated to releasing every bit of information that is known about operations.

The information is there if requested.

a) which Premier League match is being used for comparison?

Sorry Championship game. I was dreaming we were still in PL

b) These aren't representative cases, these are a list of some of the over the top ones, hence the << Experts tell me some clubs believe games are "often over-policed" >> comment.

If the powers that be didn't try to control and hide such information the media wouldn't need to use FOI requests. Do you think the police have a legitimate reason not to release this data when requested? Do you think that they shouldn't have been ordered to release it?

PS How would 'investigative reporting' work in this case? You want them to get coppers drunk and then pump them for information? Or do you want journalists to be going through the police bins and trying to piece together shredded documents and knackered hard-drives?
If you ever have to deal with FOI requests, you will realise that the whole system is a crock of 5hit. People request data but without context it means nothing. In the environment I deal with the FOI requests are companies trying to discover what there competitors are paying per unit to undercut them at the next tender

How did journalists used to write stories before the inception of FOI Act? Were there no written media prior to 2000? Same as football didnt exist before 1992 and the Premier LEague i guess

Sorry Championship game. I was dreaming we were still in PL

If you ever have to deal with FOI requests, you will realise that the whole system is a crock of 5hit. People request data but without context it means nothing. In the environment I deal with the FOI requests are companies trying to discover what there competitors are paying per unit to undercut them at the next tender

How did journalists used to write stories before the inception of FOI Act? Were there no written media prior to 2000? Same as football didnt exist before 1992 and the Premier LEague i guess
DO I requests and similarly, disclosure requests, for a large organisation, are a nightmare. Nobody is hiding information, but it's not lying on a desk waiting to be passed on. Somebody has to be employed to search records and prepare the data for release, trying not to miss anything in the masses of data to be examined.

DO I requests and similarly, disclosure requests, for a large organisation, are a nightmare. Nobody is hiding information, but it's not lying on a desk waiting to be passed on. Somebody has to be employed to search records and prepare the data for release, trying not to miss anything in the masses of data to be examined.
I wish they would employ somebody. It is just absorbed by people into their working day. I am currently onto my 4th hour sorting one request. All because a marketing company want to know something for their client

Appreciate that this may seem VERY VERY VERY cynical, but the bloke who was put in charge of safety at our ground used to be in Northumbria Police.

And at the risk of sounding even more cynical, in his time in charge at SAFC, it has appeared that things have often had H&S obstacles put in front of the club, for example didn't we miss out on some Sky games on Derby Day because we wouldn't play it at 4pm Sunday?

When we played Wolves last season in our last match when we scored a whole line of Police came marching out with helmets on etc as if there was a very real threat of a pitch invasion. I recall at the time saying "what the fuck is that all about".

Maybe, just maybe, the link between
the former police officer and the over the top policing is unjustified. But the cynic in me feels like he is making sure his pals get well paid so they can buy him a pint on a night out.

Someone should tweet Donald about that as it's quite frankly disgraceful. Costs are way too high. Costs are set by the police forces.

He already knows about it as Methven has already spoke of these costs. A better tweet to them might be to suggest that there are employees of the club that do not put the club first and actually make it more difficult / expensive rather.

Ironic that we play on the banks of the Wear

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back