Police asking for yet more money in McCann Investigation

You can't ignore them too much if you go onto a board dedicated entirely to politics to read them.

McCann threads always wind up with the same libelous rumour mongering.

I ignore the entire board because it's always the same old entrenched shite.

It says 'McCann' in the title, if you don't want to read it you can surely avoid it.

That's actually incorrect though... it seems you have put the cart in front of the horse so to speak?
All enquiries from the UK start with the local force, who then could go through Interpol... as long as its an international enquiry.
Only if its London based would it start with the Met and then go through Interpol...
The Met have no official link inbetween any of the other UK Forces and Interpol.

So this suggests it was an unofficial enquiry by the Met (who have form for this to get jolly's abroad) , which in turn runs risk of any actual evidence then being void at a later date should there be legal proceedings.

Any half decent reporter or journalist should be trying to obtain a copy of the UK missing persons report... if it went to Interpol (so an official request) then it will have to be on a Yellow Notice which will be submitted to Portugal.... there will be a name on the report as to who has initiated the request. Cameron you say? ;)

that relates to enquiries from a local area to a foreign force
this enquiry didn't happen that way
IIRC all enquiries to Interpol go through a central agency. I suppose that is to do with quality control and legality. proportionality would also be considered.

I suppose with the then PM involved (didnt the McCanns have a meeting with the PM, to encourage him to try and get the Met involved) diplomatic channels would have been smoothed out the legalities of Scotland yard being involved and I am sure they will have done it before so are aware of the difficulties. The met would be selected as they have far greater resources than any other force.

I also seem to recall the Leicester Police set up an incident room at some stage, but I cannot recall at what stage it opened and closed. I bet they would only be too happy to pass it onto the met. I think it may have been the interim period of the mccanns coming home and the met being involved

Anybody can collect evidence as long as it is not done illegally and the continuity and security of it is accounted for.

Procedurally it would be in Portugal under their rules and regulations. That is nearly always the case.

that relates to enquiries from a local area to a foreign force
this enquiry didn't happen that way
IIRC all enquiries to Interpol go through a central agency. I suppose that is to do with quality control and legality. proportionality would also be considered.

I suppose with the then PM involved (didnt the McCanns have a meeting with the PM, to encourage him to try and get the Met involved) diplomatic channels would have been smoothed out the legalities of Scotland yard being involved and I am sure they will have done it before so are aware of the difficulties. The met would be selected as they have far greater resources than any other force.

I also seem to recall the Leicester Police set up an incident room at some stage, but I cannot recall at what stage it opened and closed. I bet they would only be too happy to pass it onto the met. I think it may have been the interim period of the mccanns coming home and the met being involved

Anybody can collect evidence as long as it is not done illegally and the continuity and security of it is accounted for.

Procedurally it would be in Portugal under their rules and regulations. That is nearly always the case.

are you in the police mate?

.... that relates to enquiries from a local area to a foreign force
this enquiry didn't happen that way ......

I know, that's why I find that odd as the Met should officially never have been involved in the first place if both parents are based and residing in Leicestershire

...IIRC all enquiries to Interpol go through a central agency. I suppose that is to do with quality control and legality. proportionality would also be considered.....

no that's incorrect (see my previous post as to official enquiries from the UK to other countries)... and the "I suppose that is to do with quality control and legality" part is absolute bollocks ;)

....I suppose with the then PM involved (didnt the McCanns have a meeting with the PM, to encourage him to try and get the Met involved) diplomatic channels would have been smoothed out the legalities of Scotland yard being involved and I am sure they will have done it before so are aware of the difficulties......

sorry but all that is total nonsense

.... The met would be selected as they have far greater resources than any other force......

not true... has nothing to do with resources, and goes totally against procedures involving international requests

...Anybody can collect evidence as long as it is not done illegally and the continuity and security of it is accounted for.

part true... but should evidence obtained breach procedures then it makes it risky at a later date should anybody be pursued or charged with any offences... the defence would have a field day... and when it comes to the Met not the first time they would have got involved with something abroad that had nothing to do with their force area when a case collapses!

Metpol is funded by the Metropolitan Police Service... while those at Interpol in the UK by the Home Office... so just as one example when it comes to funding, any police officer in the UK (including those in the Met) who gets seconded to Interpol would be taken out one pay structure and enter the other one.
The same applies with funding for investigations... the MPS have their budget in the same way that Leicestershire Police, or the Home Office, or say the NCA in current set up would receive their funding.
So if the Met are indeed conducting this enquiry (and now asking for yet more funding) then its not official and this then raises questions as to how they managed to get into this position in the first place? ... see original post about which name is on Missing Person Report when it was initiated in London?

I know, that's why I find that odd as the Met should officially never have been involved in the first place if both parents are based and residing in Leicestershire

no that's incorrect (see my previous post as to official enquiries from the UK to other countries)... and the "I suppose that is to do with quality control and legality" part is absolute bollocks ;)

sorry but all that is total nonsense

not true... has nothing to do with resources, and goes totally against procedures involving international requests

part true... but should evidence obtained breach procedures then it makes it risky at a later date should anybody be pursued or charged with any offences... the defence would have a field day... and when it comes to the Met not the first time they would have got involved with something abroad that had nothing to do with their force area when a case collapses!

Metpol is funded by the Metropolitan Police Service... while those at Interpol in the UK by the Home Office... so just as one example when it comes to funding, any police officer in the UK (including those in the Met) who gets seconded to Interpol would be taken out one pay structure and enter the other one.
The same applies with funding for investigations... the MPS have their budget in the same way that Leicestershire Police, or the Home Office, or say the NCA in current set up would receive their funding.
So if the Met are indeed conducting this enquiry (and now asking for yet more funding) then its not official and this then raises questions as to how they managed to get into this position in the first place? ... see original post about which name is on Missing Person Report when it was initiated in London?

I am not going to reply to all that, but it boils down to the fact that the Home secretary can ask any police force in the country to investigate something abroad. The met has more resources and has more expertise in this field.

Home office is funding the enquiry

Back