Pleasant images from childhood that you remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epping said:
buying proper Bangers and London lights.. (boxes of matches with sulphur that burnt red or green) ???

you forgot jumping jacks and aeroplanes/helicopters that nearly took your head off

shearer is a w***** said:
Epping said:
buying proper Bangers and London lights.. (boxes of matches with sulphur that burnt red or green) ???

you forgot jumping jacks and aeroplanes/helicopters that nearly took your head off

aye proper fireworks..

the jumping jacks would feckin shoot anywhere.. mental..

on bonfire night we used to also stick a couple of old aerosols in the bonfire for added effect at some point during the night

listening to the police radio on the wireless

six and out during cricket if you hit the ball into the scrap yard

on days off school due to a 'holy day of obligation' going round to shout at the protestants in their schools :oops:

being guaranteed a couple days each year when the school would be closed due to the snow

the day the roof blew of St Thomas Aquinas' swimming baths meaning no swimming at school for months

villa pop man

notriani's

Epping said:
shearer is a w***** said:
Epping said:

aye proper fireworks..

the jumping jacks would feckin shoot anywhere.. mental..

on bonfire night we used to also stick a couple of old aerosols in the bonfire for added effect at some point during the night

tins of beans in the bonny were good an all, a right f***ing mess they made when they exploded

Going to Marine Park in South Shields in the early hours and humping all the Mallards, Canada Geese and Coots (although your mates wouldn't come with you and stopped hanging around with you) - mental days........

When the most stressful thing in life was your Chemistry homework that took 30mins

Getting home from school to watch Grange Hill / Byker Grove

staying at my grans in silksworth for the summer holidays

tallyho

Janice

walking round sunlund with my grandad - everyone seemed to know him

DC 100 page comics

Melanie

Absolutely class thread this! :D

Finding an old drift mine down Kepier Woods, near the old viaduct and actually getting a fair way inside it. Very dangerous but fun all the same! Getting chased and bollocked by the farmer for cutting through his cow field.

Causing massive rockslides in Running Waters Quarry (again canny dangerous!)

Finding boxes of matches, and after a few unsuccesful attempts to have a fire, deciding to "Do A Genie" with it.

Building camps down the scrambles (thats the area between Belmont & Sherburn)

The Tarzy swing in the woods next to Hill Top Farm near Belmont which involved being really naughty and crossing the railway to get to.

Flared Hicks said:
Wolfman said:
The Tarzy swing in the woods next to Hill Top Farm near Belmont which involved being really naughty and crossing the railway to get to.
:eek: Must have been some bit of rope that like if it took you on it :lol:

I was less lucky with one in Belmont Church yard when I was a bit older!

Spending all the summer hols down castle eden dene. Making bush camps , firing shitty sticks at the whitehouse (don't ask) , going on bike rides (which i thought were f**kin miles but lookin back would take about 1/2 an hr now).

Also knocky nine doors and getting snaptured off the same bloke every night -- twat used to wait by his door all bastad night !! --- still got caught.

ricky's cafe on fulwell road (now redby chippy) where all the footballers would eat
redby tuck shop 10p mix ups (with bubbly)
delivering papers for robinsons news agent
playing football, cricket, lighting fires or putting out the windows of bus's in the bus depo from the pidgy
getting chases of the roker park parky's
running past the stewards to see the last 10 minutes of the match, when the doors were open early
playing footyunder the main stand using the turnstile entrance for goals
tyzac's waste ground bmx track,
curry batter buns from bede st chippy when they only cost 5p
bella's amusements (graduating to jonnys when older)
fishing off the block yard, black cat pipe swings
playing about on the oil rig legs down the docks

'73 cup final. Grandad cryin his eyes out, the most empty double maxim bottles ever seen in one house and better street party than any royal do!
Meeting Monty and him giving me signed photo. (regularly bump in to him at golf days now).
Meeting Gary Rowell. he told me he was going to score a hat trick against the mags!

Walking along Horden beach with my Grandad, watching the skips tip slag into the sea. Never noticed Ian Hendrie getting his come uppance though :wink:

Clambering around the Frenchman's Lea cliffs.

20 a side footy and cricket on Frenchman's Lea.

Sliding down the banking at Gypsies Green cycle track on bits of cardboard.

Dodging waves as they came crashing over Shields pier on a stormy day.

Sitting on the cliff tops at Marsden looking at Marsden Rock and thinking it must be one of the 7 wonders of the world.

Going out on a rowing boat at Durham on a sunny summer day.

Waiting for the Economic bus on the coast road to go to Roker Park.

King Charlie leading the lads out at Roker Park to the Z Cars theme tune.

The hustle and bustle of Ocean Road on a sunny summer Sunday.

Standing on the Groyne watching huge ships just launched making their way out to sea.

The smell of the roses at the tea garden in Marine Park.

When we moved over to West Cumberland, the first time I saw Wasdale and the screes reflected in the still lake.

My first summers exploring the Lake District with my family in our powder blue mk.1 Cortina, KCU 977.

anyone else gan fishing and used to buy them packets of dyed red ragworm from the tackle shop on the top of the cliffs at Roker?

Corvus said:
Walking along Horden beach with my Grandad, watching the skips tip slag into the sea. Never noticed Ian Hendrie getting his come uppance though :wink:

'Cos you were 10 years early and a mile too far north? :wink:

somersetmackem said:
Corvus said:

'Cos you were 10 years early and a mile too far north? :wink:

Fair dos Zummerzet, but ya got me drift :wink: More like 15 years too early btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back