Pleasant images from childhood that you remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swimming off the beach at Blackhall, and needing to be scrubbed raw off your Mam when you got home.

Someone mentioned sledges earlier, anyone who grew up in Blackhall, the Rocks Or Horden must have sledged down the heaps all year round 8)

David Hosselhaff said:
SW19 Mackem said:
The rope swing at Fincle Abbey

f***ing hell! Me Nana and Granda used to own a caravan at Finchale, spent many a happy childhood weekend there
Posh gets!!! We used to go camping in a tent most weekends from about Whit till tatie picking week up the moors somewhere or other - round High Force, Frosterley, St John's Chapel, Corbridge, all over the shop.

Flared Hicks said:
David Hosselhaff said:
SW19 Mackem said:
The rope swing at Fincle Abbey

f***ing hell! Me Nana and Granda used to own a caravan at Finchale, spent many a happy childhood weekend there
Posh gets!!! We used to go camping in a tent most weekends from about Whit till tatie picking week up the moors somewhere or other - round High Force, Frosterley, St John's Chapel, Corbridge, all over the shop.

I still to this day can't work out how they could have afforded to buy that caravan :?

School trips to Field Centres for the week

had a week in Ireshopeburn and a week in Middleton in teesdale.. during juniors...

never got round to the outward bounds weeks in secondary.. I missed out on Howtown.. :cry:

Epping said:
School trips to Field Centres for the week

had a week in Ireshopeburn and a week in Middleton in teesdale.. during juniors...

never got round to the outward bounds weeks in secondary.. I missed out on Howtown.. :cry:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

great trips

orienteering, canoeing, drinking, stopping up all night, sleeping outside in plastic bags, trying/getting your tops & fingers,

watching the first Space Shuttle on tv

Superstars

going to the fair at Shields at Easter and telling stories about skinheads from the Nook and the Hill fighting each other even though you hadn't seen them

Muhammad Ali coming to Shields in 76/77 I think it was

everyone getting Union jacks when the queen came to Shields when I was in the infants and thinking we couldn't afford one then me mam coming up to Monkton Infants with a great big one and then going down the coast road

the smell of my my grandas home brew in the lobbie (went to a distillery in Scotland few years back and the same smell hit me and took me right back)

Westlers beefburgers in gravy

getting Easter clothes and Christmas clothes - those "Y" cardigans that everyone had in about 1980 from Frederick St in Shields

The Flying Scotsman making its "final" run past our house

just used to like them - aside from the curly bits that'd sometimes be in there

Murphy's mob

Those chinese rockets that were 10 for 50p or something that you could light and throw...

One "A" Cafe in Shields - hated going there but always got dragged there on a starurday for three course meal with Soup and it stunk of sunday dinner

spending hours in Conways in Shields looking at bmx's before we even had one

live matches first coming on the telly - now sick of em

The sign down the bottom of our road saying "Beware of the trains" for a line that had been shut down since Adam as a lad.

Digging up the sleepers from said line for the biggest bonny nite fire for miles around.

Birds nesting up the gorse bushes (just read that back again :oops: :lol: )

Fishing off the Blast Beach

Melting erm acquired bits of lead into a spoon to make your fishing weights

The smell of Cresote.

Rag and bone men and the gadgie who used to ride round on his bike and turn it upside down to sharpen knives, sheers and tools

My nanas yorkshire puddings!!

Burning my name on the fence with a magnifying glass and discovering we could 'pop' woodlice and the horrible smell of the poor buggers. :oops:

Getting hooked on the Atari and 'clocking' Pacman on the score and rounds - think it took about 7 hours or summit!

rissoles for me tea

Why cant we get them any more?

Epping said:
buying proper Bangers and London lights.. (boxes of matches with sulphur that burnt red or green) ???

airbomb repeaters

now banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back