Player we sold that most gutted you

At the time Gabbiadini.

Hutchison was difficult.

Recent times, Bent. Then Gyan, more so because of the timing.

Sessegnon was a tough one as well as he was so entertaining to watch.

Kaboul as well as I knew we wouldn't adequately replace him.

Jim Baxter
AS a kid, I worshiped Baxter because his skills were sublime yet I know he represented a dark (McColl) period at the club.
Did you worship the player he was at Rangers before he came south or the player he became once he was south.?
I'm to young, before I was born, but my old man used to always tell me Baxter left his heart at Ibrox and wasn't remotely the same player at our club.
Although, he ran the show at Wembley in 67 against the World Champions...he was a Sunderland player at the time.

Last edited:
Bent was the big one for me.

Since then I don't really bother getting attached to any of our players, although they've made that pretty easy in recent years I suppose! :lol:

It’s not players leaving that guts me as thats the way of the game these days. It’s WHO they leave us for that drives home how undesirable a location the NE is to live in for rich young men and their families unless theyre being paid a shed load more than the going rate that really really really guts me.
Every time it happens it hints at how bleak a future we have as a club in that there’s nowt to expect but more of the same workaday unambitious stuff being served up that’s been on show since the 60s.
I know we’re held back by ffp and being in the corner of England with the lowest average household income and low ticket prices and shit weather etc but being one of the 12 or 13 biggest clubs in the pyramid should surely mean we should be showing our best players that a move to Palace or Southampton isn’t a step up? The big big clubs I can understand and maybe even those of a similar standing but there’s players left us for clubs that they’d nivver consider if SAFC was even half competent ran. Which also applies to bringing players in.

Reid was stubborn. Iirc he froze out Alan Johnson and bridges for not signing contract extensions following our promotion.

Bridges was sold to Leeds and Johnson made to sit in the reserves for a year before he could leave on a free. Would have been class seeing him in the prem.

Yeah so senseless selling both of those. I loved Magic and thought he would have been great in the Prem. similar to how Mahrez plays - obviously not that level but similar jink and dart away

Bridges would have been perfect to take over from SKP

M’Vila. Changing the rules here slightly but in recent times it wasn’t so much a player we sold rather one we failed to buy who was desperate to sign. Sunderland being Sunderland we then signed a player in the same position for twice as much who was total dogshit.

As for an actual sale - Marco.

I suspect that your age will play a huge part in who you choose. For me, it's Marco Gabbiadini. I was old enough to be really invested and still young and daft enough to believe in footballers staying through thick and thin.

Bracewell to Everton in summer 1984. That 83/84 season we had the nucleus of young players (Venison, Pickering, Chapman, Westie, Proctor and Bracewell) who mostly went on to have decent top flight careers and the likes of Turner, Atkins, Chisholm, Elliott and Rowell who were good top division players at that time. We only finished mid table but looked like we could have built on that platform and progressed.

The following season Bracewell (and Atkins) moved to Everton and won the title and we got relegated and by the summer of 1987 we were in the third division and only Proctor was still in the squad.

I've always though that summer of 1984 was a massive missed opportunity for us. Maybe adding a proven goalscorer and attacking midfielder would have seen us reach the next level (it was possible back in the 80's) but we effectively replaced Bracewell with Steve Berry and the rest is history.

Back