Player we sold that most gutted you

I was also gutted when we sold Micky Bridges, but for me the sickener was Arco going to the smog monsters. I understand from the money side of it and how Arca loves the area etc, but still a bit of a sickener that one was. As for Phillips it’s a strange one really as I wouldn’t say he had downed tools or anything, but his head had been turned and he seemed as if he was looking elsewhere to enhance his England prospects. So that on didn’t really bother me.

Fot some reason the real kicker for me was Mickey bridges. Thought he was quality and to sell to Leeds was a nightmare. Hate Leeds. Watching him bang 20 goals in was the biggest what could have been as a fan. Some might say Phillip's but we had his best days.
Julio…was gutted.

Colin Suggett – was the first one to impact me was, absolutely devastated, and he only went to West Brom, I mean West Brom!

Toddo obviously, as he was the hero, but understandable to be back with Cloughie. I only found out through the back page of the Northern Echo, put me right off my cornflakes!

Don Hutchison - absolute shocker, as at the time he was the one that made the whole team gel, and he only went back to West Ham!

Gyan - totally outraged, and completely off the radar as it was outside the transfer window and he went where! Took a long time to get over that, still upsets me now.

Quite a few in that Bruce era. We went from one of the best attacking teams in the Premiership to relegation cannon fodder within a season or two. Getting shot of the forwards and influential players like zenden for a load of cheap shite.

Pickford. Not because I loved him but because it signaled we weren’t financially strong enough to keep our star player and build around him.

Colin Suggett – was the first one to impact me was, absolutely devastated, and he only went to West Brom, I mean West Brom!

Toddo obviously, as he was the hero, but understandable to be back with Cloughie. I only found out through the back page of the Northern Echo, put me right off my cornflakes!

Don Hutchison - absolute shocker, as at the time he was the one that made the whole team gel, and he only went back to West Ham!

Gyan - totally outraged, and completely off the radar as it was outside the transfer window and he went where! Took a long time to get over that, still upsets me now.
Was on holiday in Vegas when I woke up to hear the Gyan news. Thought I must’ve still been pissed.

Watson and Tueart . Sad when Billy Hughes left. Marco was gutting, especially when it was to f***ing Palace
read tuearts book he was took in car to scotch corner hotel to meet a club he was not even told who it was, in durbans book we nearly bought him back ,game after we turned the deal down tuearts played and got a bad injury.

Don Hutchison was the beginning of the end of capacity crowds at the SOL. He was very good for us and we were heavily linked with players like Duff, Makelele and Sinclair in that era, to add to our very decent squad that finished 7th twice on the trot. Duff went to Chelsea and we took the cheaper option of Kilbane, Makelele went to Real Madird after we'd agreed terms and a fee with Santander, whilst Sinclair never arrived and Hutchison suddenly went the the other way.

The players we started bringing in were sub standard and the inevitable happened. It was the end of Reids golden spell as manager. We had gone from looking like a real force with 46/47k crowds to a 19 pts relegation team, backed up with the 15pt season not long after, and with that went around 7-10k fans who pop back every now and then. I truly believe if we'd signed those players, our progress would have been cemented and plans to up the capacity to 55k or even 63k would have happened.

It was a threshold in history which lead us to being an also ran prem side with worse to follow. That support is always lurking in the background waiting to come out of the cracks. Not seen a club who can drum up or lose numbers the way we do. Possibly Leeds for similar experiences.

I was devastated when Toddo left, me da telt us not ta get too caught up with individual players and to support the club 'cos players come and go all the time. I've tried to remember that and whilst I do appreciate some of the players we have had since I always appreciate that sentiment of club over players.

Back