Player we sold that most gutted you

Marcus Stewart. It was around this time that I properly fell in love with Sunderland and football and he had a few quality seasons with us. Thought it was a mistake letting him go at the time.

Probably Allan Johnston for me. Had a cracking season and was tapped up by Rangers. Appreciate there was probably no way of making him stay, but freezing him out was a twats trick.

Jim Baxter
Kevin Phillips
Colin Todd
Jordan Pickford
Jim.Montgomery
AS a kid, I worshiped Baxter because his skills were sublime yet I know he represented a dark (McColl) period at the club.
I knew we were on the slide when SKP left - awful day.
Same with Todd, although relegation made it inevitable. Same with Pickford.
Monty? My hero? I know he was getting past his best but how could Sunderland ever, ever, EVER sell Monty?
Baxter was a bad influence on the club , fell out big time with Hurley other players about religion , serious drinking problems and other serious disciplinary problems if you can Remember he was banned from the club for a week , I can’t go into details on here.

You see I actually thought it was the right thing to do, (despite a recent hatrick), he had looked a bit stale and the team definitely needed to be freshened up.

Getting Rogan, Goodman and Byrne with the money was good business.
Goodman n Byrne didn't really do it for me. Byrne had his FA cup run. He didn't want to come here. Hated it up here.

Bridges, Johnston, Phillips, Bent, Sessegnon, Malbranque, Bardsley, Kaboul, M’Vila - all various degrees of gutted when they left/didn’t return.

Controversial one maybe, but Lee Clark.

I reckon the one that hurt the most though was Henderson. I thought £20m was significantly undervaluing him and so it’s been proved, but more than the money was what it symbolised - the fact we couldn’t hold on to our best young talent, arguably one of the best we’ve ever had come through, nor did our aspirations match his, or were we able to give him the platform his talent deserved. At exactly the time we should have been growing as a club and building an exciting young team that could have seen us compete at the top level for the foreseeable future. Unforgivable really.

Back