Player we sold that most gutted you

Fot some reason the real kicker for me was Mickey bridges. Thought he was quality and to sell to Leeds was a nightmare. Hate Leeds. Watching him bang 20 goals in was the biggest what could have been as a fan. Some might say Phillip's but we had his best days.
Jeff Clarke. Made worse as he went up the road.

Fot some reason the real kicker for me was Mickey bridges. Thought he was quality and to sell to Leeds was a nightmare. Hate Leeds. Watching him bang 20 goals in was the biggest what could have been as a fan. Some might say Phillip's but we had his best days.
Few for me, Super Kev as he was like the GOAT for my generation and that era really got me hooked on the game and SAFC.

Sessegenon -was absolutely brilliant watching him play, the ball just stuck to him he absolutely ripped the mags apart during the famous dirty knees game.

Darren Bent - again was brilliant to watch, his movement and runs were fantastic, thought he would’ve stayed a long time and became a legend status. He had other ideas😆

Ian Atkins for me. Ended up going to champions Everton who hardly played him.
Bent was a hard one to take but I was only about 12 when Hutchison left and was absolutely devastated.
My boy who was 6 at the time, saved his pocket money to get Bent 11 on his shirt days before he was sold. Remember him crying he was so upset. Bent…..what a c***….

Last edited:
Baxter
Martin
Todd
Tueart
Watson
All sad days for the club when they left.
Neil Martin knocked in 20 league goals the season before he left.
Not many have done that post war for us in the top flight.
Very very underrated and for all the stuff nowadays written about the lads Martin hardly merits a mention. The era between the 64 promotion and 73 Cup win has almost been overlooked.

So many and the sad reflection on where we are in the football pyramid.
The old saying, “every player has a price,” therefore you make the most of it knowing that the last game could be exactly that, the last.

The top clubs have very little exposure to this. Length of contracts alone get longer the higher up the pyramid you go.
Sobering thread :)

Neil Martin knocked in 20 league goals the season before he left.
Not many have done that post war for us in the top flight.
Very very underrated and for all the stuff nowadays written about the lads Martin hardly merits a mention. The era between the 64 promotion and 73 Cup win has almost been overlooked.
Yes, he was a very underrated player for us. Transfer to Coventry was a backward step for him and us. Can't remember who we replaced him with at the time, i think we were relying on Colin Suggett for goals till he left then they brought in Joe 'kin Baker.

Phillips obviously but it was coming for a long time. Bent then Gyan were both sickeners. I was pissed off when we sold Sess. I remember a thread on here at the time with most posters saying it was a great move, get rid etc. Shows how clueless this place is. Of course he scored past us on his debut for West Brom.
Not a player obviously but I remember being gutted when Keano left, absolutely loved the bloke and loved the media attention it brought us
Aye that was a blow. Was even worse when Sbragia was given it FT.

Last edited:

Back