Player we sold that most gutted you

Kaboul and Hutch stung more than any of the others for me.

Others gutted me more at the time. In terms of long term damage those are that spring to mind. It's not like we got massive fees or they went on to bigger and better things. They just seemed to leave with little effort to keep them and ripped the heart out of the dressing room.

In terms of long lasting bitterness it's got to be Bracewell. I'd happily buy Dennis Bergkamp a pint for the time he done him back in 97. After Bennett/Speedie it's my favourite red card.

Ian Atkins for me. Ended up going to champions Everton who hardly played him.

My boy who was 6 at the time, saved his pocket money to get Bent 11 on his shirt days before he was sold. Remember him crying he was so upset. Bent…..what a c***….
Sad story,but this will cheer you up, remember that sad knacker up the road who had Andy Cole tattooed on his back the week before they sold him 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Sessegnon sale had a feeling of dread hang over it. He was extremely talented, but Di Canio's quote ''For me his time is up here'' just meant no way back. He was at WBA training ground late on the last day of the window. Hoped it would fall through, but we took 5m having paid 6m. He was our shining light with no replacement signing and we make a 1m bloody loss. Poyet would have loved working with him.

Yes, he was a very underrated player for us. Transfer to Coventry was a backward step for him and us. Can't remember who we replaced him with at the time, i think we were relying on Colin Suggett for goals till he left then they brought in Joe 'kin Baker.
Joe was finished when we bought him. Charlie Ferguson recommended him in the late 50s before he went to Italy but we did not follow up.

This the writing was on the wall then like. Also allardyce leaving was another. Poached both times
Big Sam leaving was a disaster for us, I genuinely believed he could've had us mid-table that season, he had the players dialed in to his system, we looked a decent side at times in them last dozen games.
The timing of his departure was a fkn disgrace, the FA waited all summer to appoint the man they knew they wanted in April.

Big Sam leaving was a disaster for us, I genuinely believed he could've had us mid-table that season, he had the players dialed in to his system, we looked a decent side at times in them last dozen games.
The timing of his departure was a fkn disgrace, the FA waited all summer to appoint the man they knew they wanted in April.
Big Sam was reportedly going to walk away regardless. Short lied to him about a budget but Big Sam was the one who want N’Dong not Moyes. Moyes said yes cos he was desperate for bodies in

Marco leaving the club was awful, he was my first Sunderland hero. But even as a 13 year old (ish), I knew he was out of contract and the money we got was loads more than what the tribunal fee would have been, so it was "good sense" to accept the offer.

Bridges was a good shout - young and bags of potential.
Rae is one that still bugs me - he was still plenty good enough for us, but we seemed to decide we wanted more and sold him, but never really managed to bring in anyone better

Loads of others who were awful sales, but I just don't care as much about them anymore, as this points out:
Bent was the big one for me.
Since then I don't really bother getting attached to any of our players, although they've made that pretty easy in recent years I suppose! :lol:

Controversial one maybe, but Lee Clark.
Gutted that he made a daft mistake that impossible to come back from. Yeah, I agree, he was doing great here and it got wrecked. Such a shame

The sales of Bent and Gyan angered me for differing reasons but was absolutely gutted when Sess went to West Brom. He's still me favourite SAFC player since Phillips.

Back