Patio Costs

The brush in grout has been shite, you have to clean the Indian sandstone, I don’t have time to do much maintenance.
Wet and Forget is your friend.
Fair enough. I've been offered a few boxes for nowt. Think I'll give them a miss.
It is shite.

Rompox isn't bad but it's expensive.

Just use a decent strong mix of sand and cement.
Heard this many times from supposedly reputable company's, Mad that price like.

That is stupid for a patio.

Wet mortar for the joints is what you need, done properly you should have no bother,hardly anyone does it that way as the tubs of grout work out cheaper and easier. light colour paving looks great when first done but soon goes dirty no matter what material you use.
Too wet and you stain the flags.

Last edited:

I've got them and love them, they look great, but a few have become loose and it's pissing me off. Can't get the bloke that put them down to come back and sort out (it was 2 year ago). The grout stuff that was used was champion - Easyjoint, but f..k me it's expensive.
I'd try and sort them myself... no actually I wouldn't because that would be a total waste of time as I'd just balls it up. So I'll have to ask pay a trade to come in and fix what another trade failed to do.
My current one was done with that last September. Already falling away. I don't think its deep enough to have a good bond to hold it in place. Looks like I'll have to scrap the cement out between the stones and rejoint in places. Aye, £40 a tub, fuck!

Thanks. Think we are leaning towards the buff one. Are you happy with the product? What do you use to protect it?

We got a massive tub of wet and forget off amazon. It's been a year since it was first applied and I haven't had to jet wash it once.

Chuffed to be fair. We got ours through Travis Perkins, think they were like £320 for 15.5m2.

I'm looking at this for mine, anyone used it or advice?
I would go there personally and check the colour as there can be variances, most of the grey ones are photographed while they’re wet as they look better.

Also inspect what has been delivered as we had to reject some of our grey ones as they had orange circular colourisation on some of them.

I would go there personally and check the colour as there can be variances, most of the grey ones are photographed while they’re wet as they look better.

Also inspect what has been delivered as we had to reject some of our grey ones as they had orange circular colourisation on some of them.
Thanks. Wasn't fancying the grey one so hopefully not fall in that trap. We are getting a builder to buy the stuff as it's part of a bigger home improvement programme with other stuff being done

Tarmac Multipurpose Ready mixed Mortar, 25kg Bag | DIY at B&Q

Mix it damp. Trowel it in flush. Sweep off the excess when dry. Job's a good un.

Goodness me, last time I seen someone do that it was Charlie Dimmock, it would fall out within a couple of months.

I'm looking at this for mine, anyone used it or advice?

Sandstone is porous like, it will get algae growth quicker than other paving, I don’t know anything about the sealant but the lad whose used it seems happy.

Goodness me, last time I seen someone do that it was Charlie Dimmock, it would fall out within a couple of months.

Sandstone is porous like, it will get algae growth quicker than other paving, I don’t know anything about the sealant but the lad whose used it seems happy.
She probably used a weak as piss mix.

Mine's set like iron. It's going nowhere and hasn't budged for years.

Absolutely shit a brick when i heard esp as a very reputable company
It’s like comparing apples and oranges though.A lot will lay flags on a screed of sand or dot and dab them on mortar.Both ways are brutal.
We always lay our flags on a solid bed of sharp sand and cement ,prime the back of the flags with and SBR and all this is on a good 150mm at the least dolly sub-base.

Not many will go to that level of work and just chuck them down on top of owt.

It’s like comparing apples and oranges though.A lot will lay flags on a screed of sand or dot and dab them on mortar.Both ways are brutal.
We always lay our flags on a solid bed of sharp sand and cement ,prime the back of the flags with and SBR and all this is on a good 150mm at the least dolly sub-base.
What cement:sand mix do you use please? I used 1:5 with building sand for the few that I have relaid, then I pointed with 1:3 semi damp mix.

Not many will go to that level of work and just chuck them down on top of owt.
That's what I did, a solid bed of sharp sand and cement on a 100mm sub-base. Piece of piss.

Back