Patio Costs

Mike J

Winger
Anybody any rough idea what the cost per sq meter of having a patio laid using standard flag stones? Or indeed any suggestions for a cost effective patio area. I don’t want to get anybody out to price it up until I know if I can fit it in the budget this year, in the middle of refurbishing a house so budget is limited.

Anybody any rough idea what the cost per sq meter of having a patio laid using standard flag stones? Or indeed any suggestions for a cost effective patio area. I don’t want to get anybody out to price it up until I know if I can fit it in the budget this year, in the middle of refurbishing a house so budget is limited.

Size is it (roughly)? Cheapest paving or just a comparison between decent and cheap?

It will be about 30 sq meters in total, cheapest paving (or other surface. It’s currently a mixture of old paving & grass / mud

I was quoted a rough price 2 weeks ago, standard flags 450mm x 450mm £45 a square metre, Indian sandstone £80 a square metre. That included all materials and labour.

It will be about 30 sq meters in total, cheapest paving (or other surface. It’s currently a mixture of old paving & grass / mud

We got rid of ours last year and got a new one laid. Looked into a concrete slab instead of flags, but just got new flags and got rid of the gravel.
An area of 40m2 we had several quotes ranging from 500 quid to 3k. The 500 quid lad from the pub didn't seem too trustworthy and didn't even measure anything, he just looked at it. Got it done for 2k from a bloke who my dad knows who came out of retirement to do it. Most were around 2-2300

That's about 170 flags

Last edited:
We got rid of ours last year and got a new one laid. Looked into a concrete slab instead of flags, but just got new flags and got rid of the gravel.
An area of 40m2 we had several quotes ranging from 500 quid to 3k. The 500 quid lad from the pub didn't seem too trustworthy and didn't even measure anything, he just looked at it. Got it done for 2k from a bloke who my dad knows who came out of retirement to do it. Most were around 2-2300

That's about 170 flags

I’ve just done some accurate measurements, it’s 38 sq meters. I’m going to look at a concrete slab and see if it’s any cheaper than flags.

Bear in mind the stones are the least of the cost. Labour, digging out down to the clay, filling with dolo - that's where the cost is.
So you might as well get some nice stones while you're on.

I think on my last house, it was about £500 for the stones, and about £2000 for everything else.

Bear in mind the stones are the least of the cost. Labour, digging out down to the clay, filling with dolo - that's where the cost is.
So you might as well get some nice stones while you're on.

I think on my last house, it was about £500 for the stones, and about £2000 for everything else.

Aye this. Our flags came in just under 700, whole job coat 2000

Back