Patio Costs

Bear in mind the stones are the least of the cost. Labour, digging out down to the clay, filling with dolo - that's where the cost is.
So you might as well get some nice stones while you're on.

I think on my last house, it was about £500 for the stones, and about £2000 for everything else.
I am considering resin as a good mate of mine will do it for me at cost. Unfortunately, he came out to have a look and it will need about ten grand worth of prep work and concreting before we get to the resin point. Rats cocks.
Not worth the effort.
My motto is always pay somebody else to do jobs you can't be arsed to. Even if you could easily do it.

Clearly that's not my motto. It's just a point of view I hold.
My motto is a) 'how much will it cost/ b)how long will it take me to do it myself? If It will cost more than my day rate I will do it myself. What is your time worth?

Last edited:
I am considering resin as a good mate of mine will do it for me at cost. Unfortunately, he came out to have a look and it will need about ten grand worth of prep work and concreting before we get to the resin point. Rats cocks.

My motto is a) 'how much will it cost/ b)how long will it take me to do it myself? If It will cost more than my day rate I will do it myself. What is your time worth?

Under normal circumstances, I’d agree.

How long before you go back to work?

£10k is a chunk of money even when you earn decent wedge.

I’ve just done some accurate measurements, it’s 38 sq meters. I’m going to look at a concrete slab and see if it’s any cheaper than flags.

You’ve said money is a bit tight ATM so maybe no good. You could have the area prepped as @PTR says (dug out/stone etc), gravel it for now - I know not ideal then if you have the dosh pave it later, you’ll only be paying a percentage of the cost now where concrete will have to be took out if you have it done later.

FFS ouro how bigs the garden, 10K for prep work. Bear in mind resin will get dirty just the same as any paving – moss (especially where there are trees) stains, must be UV stable or will fade – again all paving fades, you’ll still need to clean it. Seems a lot of dosh for resin like.

Last edited:
You’ve said money is a bit tight ATM so maybe no good. You could have the area prepped as @PTR says (dug out/stone etc), gravel it for now - I know not ideal then if you have the dosh pave it later, you’ll only be paying a percentage of the cost now where concrete will have to be took out if you have it done later.

Cheers for this, I’m going to get a couple of quotes and work out the best option is.

FFS ouro how bigs the garden, 10K for prep work. Bear in mind resin will get dirty just the same as any paving – moss (especially where there are trees) stains, must be UV stable or will fade – again all paving fades, you’ll still need to clean it. Seems a lot of dosh for resin like.

Garden is huge mate, and we have plans that involve a wraparound patio when I get back to work - that patio in itself is (guessing) 100 square meters +. I have 16 tonnes of screened topsoil coming on Monday to fill the dip where I removed a path. Backbreaking that was, dozens of old style paving slabs.

Garden is huge mate, and we have plans that involve a wraparound patio when I get back to work - that patio in itself is (guessing) 100 square meters +. I have 16 tonnes of screened topsoil coming on Monday to fill the dip where I removed a path. Backbreaking that was, dozens of old style paving slabs.

Aye, not a job for fannies. Should be good for your kite ;)

Digging out old features is bloody awful. I never want to do groundworks ever again
Mines about 30 square metres and was quoted cheapest £4,500 a few weeks ago
Depends on how far down it is to the clay. Mine was 4-5 feet of top soil that needed digging out and taking away. Then replacing with dolomite.
That's what cost all the money for me. Took best part of a week.

Last edited:
Digging out old features is bloody awful. I never want to do groundworks ever again

Depends on how far down it is to the clay. Mine was 4-5 feet of top soil that needed digging out and taking away. Then replacing with dolomite.
That's what cost all the money for me. Took best part of a week.

4 to 5 foot down to get to clay? For a patio?

Aye, not a job for fannies. Should be good for your kite ;)
Me and my mate have shifted I would guess at around 300-400 wheelbarrows of soil. And it's not finished yet. Worst of it is I took a short notice contracting job on, so I am doing it after an 8 hour shift at work that I cycle to, 7 miles each way. Wish I'd said no, but these are not days you can knock work back, sadly.

Back