Patio Costs

Mines about 30 square metres and was quoted cheapest £4,500 a few weeks ago

Heard this many times from supposedly reputable company's, Mad that price like.

Digging out old features is bloody awful. I never want to do groundworks ever again

Depends on how far down it is to the clay. Mine was 4-5 feet of top soil that needed digging out and taking away. Then replacing with dolomite.
That's what cost all the money for me. Took best part of a week.

That is stupid for a patio.

The brush in grout has been shite, you have to clean the Indian sandstone, I don’t have time to do much maintenance.

Wet mortar for the joints is what you need, done properly you should have no bother,hardly anyone does it that way as the tubs of grout work out cheaper and easier. light colour paving looks great when first done but soon goes dirty no matter what material you use.

That is stupid for a patio.
Wet mortar for the joints is what you need, done properly you should have no bother,hardly anyone does it that way as the tubs of grout work out cheaper and easier. light colour paving looks great when first done but soon goes dirty no matter what material you use.
Yes I agree.

When the brush in stuff has failed I put in a 1-3 cement-sand semi wet mix as per the AJ McCormack paving expert web site.

The natural stone paving is cut at an angle on the sides so when you joint (not grout) them it is similar to a triangle - and in theory won't come out. if they have been laid so those joints have filled up, even a little it won't work very well mate.

@Stevie Freestein II

Last edited:
We have them and they have been a pain in the arse.
I've got them and love them, they look great, but a few have become loose and it's pissing me off. Can't get the bloke that put them down to come back and sort out (it was 2 year ago). The grout stuff that was used was champion - Easyjoint, but f..k me it's expensive.
I'd try and sort them myself... no actually I wouldn't because that would be a total waste of time as I'd just balls it up. So I'll have to ask pay a trade to come in and fix what another trade failed to do.

64nr 900x600x63mm slabs free to a good home if you dig them out, replace with 100mm dolly and 3 layers of weed membrane, replace the 5 stone circles and 5t of stone.

I've got them and love them, they look great, but a few have become loose and it's pissing me off. Can't get the bloke that put them down to come back and sort out (it was 2 year ago). The grout stuff that was used was champion - Easyjoint, but f..k me it's expensive.
I'd try and sort them myself... no actually I wouldn't because that would be a total waste of time as I'd just balls it up. So I'll have to ask pay a trade to come in and fix what another trade failed to do.
Ours looked great for 2 years too! Then they get dirty and you can’t be arsed to hose and brush them and then they fade.

I have re-laid 2 of the flags over the 5 years and I have a few more to do, it’s easy enough if you have time.

Back