Parkrun Thread

Aye - not much fun if high winds and can be a little overcrowded, certainly at the start at least. Sunderland, whitley Bay and South shields are all better IMHO. Though if you are after a fast time then Newcastle may be your best bet.

I've only done the Newcastle run three or four times. Like others have said, busy but not bad on a nice day.

That was years ago mind. Just started doing parkrun regularly and 40 people is a pretty high turnout where I am now.

A little less hectic at the start :lol:

Last edited:
Hartlepool is the flattest I've seen but the wind can get up.

Last time I was at Sunderland, some gonk was doing interval training around the lake. Running in the opposite direction to the park runners then muttering to himself when he's almost getting dunched.

I know one of the rules is that the park is for everyone and give way, but he was proper taking the mick IMO.

Last time I was at Sunderland, some gonk was doing interval training around the lake. Running in the opposite direction to the park runners then muttering to himself when he's almost getting dunched.

I know one of the rules is that the park is for everyone and give way, but he was proper taking the mick IMO.
Same with the people who just happen to be riding their bike past the start dead on 9am every Saturday morning. Aye, well done mate, you've shown us.

Same with the people who just happen to be riding their bike past the start dead on 9am every Saturday morning. Aye, well done mate, you've shown us.
Goons.
It's been on at Silksworth for 9 years. :eek:

Surely by now people must realise that despite their best efforts it's not going anywhere.

Goons.
It's been on at Silksworth for 9 years. :eek:

Surely by now people must realise that despite their best efforts it's not going anywhere.
It nearly was stopped mate by the dickheads who park all over the grass near the Puma , middle class wankers turning up and parking as close to the start line as possible , do the run then that’s them done

I haven't done it for a while but there was always a bloke with a ponytail running in the opposite direction. He's a good standard club runner and I could never get my head around why he did it.
I know everyone likes their routines but surely he could nip out ten minutes earlier or start half an hour later so most people had gone.

I haven't done it for a while but there was always a bloke with a ponytail running in the opposite direction. He's a good standard club runner and I could never get my head around why he did it.
I know everyone likes their routines but surely he could nip out ten minutes earlier or start half an hour later so most people had gone.
This was a bloke in his 50s or at a stretch even 60s. He was fairly short and slightly portly. I don't know what he was trying to prove or what his problem was.

Regardless of ability, they could either join in or as you say just wait. The thick of the people doing two laps of the lake would be over with in a 15 minute window I'd have thought.

Back home now, but I did the Sunderland Parkrun on October 27. My overriding memory of it was that it was absolutely freezing. But in any case it was good to do one in my home town and nice to chat to a few others with a coffee later. Always did say Sunderland people were a friendly bunch.

is he pretty old ? late 50s ? if so he lives round barnes way but has always run for south shields harriers , see him out all the time

Aye, that's him. Couldn't remember which club he was with but he was pretty close to the front in either the Sunderland 10k or Half this year.
Mick Jones, no idea why he runs for shields and not sunderland, apparently was a very good runner when younger

needs to give his hair a wash mind :lol:

Last edited:

Back