Panackelty

Panackelty is a thing of beauty when done properly but judging by this thread very few are... it’s simple enough; potatoes, leeks, onion, carrot, stock then bacon and corned beef are musts to make it traditionally and that alone is tremendous, especially if left overnight and reheated. Then you can add your own twist with sausage, black pudding etc or even peasepudding stirred through to thicken it’s a tremendous, hearty meal when made properly.

What do we reckon is the best kind of potato for panaculty ?

Something I never took much notice of as a kid. Sometimes the potato would mostly mush (Kind Edward ?) while with waxier potatoes the slices would hold firm.

Personally, I liked them to mush just a bit (thereby thickening the stock), but still be recognisable as slices.

Née mushrooms, leeks or carrot in mine.
Just the Bacon, sausage, black pudding chopped and fried up then layered with sliced onion, corned beef and sliced tatties with the gravy made up with an oxo, lea & perrin, bovril and marmite.
The black pudding squished up to thicken the gravy.
Lusherooney.

Née mushrooms, leeks or carrot in mine.
Just the Bacon, sausage, black pudding chopped and fried up then layered with sliced onion, corned beef and sliced tatties with the gravy made up with an oxo, lea & perrin, bovril and marmite.
The black pudding squished up to thicken the gravy.
Lusherooney.
Sounds more like tatey-ash than Panackelty. Nice though...

I used to use corned beef in panackelty but it's not the same anymore, I don't think.

I changed it up to use mince and plenty of onion, plus sliced potatoes and a finely chopped white cabbage, plus oxo's and a tad of goldenfry beef gravy thickener.

Sometimes I'll add dumplings on the hob in a pan or add them in the oven to crisp...or sometimes not at all.
A few slices of nicely buttered bread, salt and pepper and away I go.
A tasty and cheap meal when you can feed 3 and get 2 days worth out of it.
Always better the next day.
What you've got there marra is mince and dumplings.
What do we reckon is the best kind of potato for panaculty ?

Something I never took much notice of as a kid. Sometimes the potato would mostly mush (Kind Edward ?) while with waxier potatoes the slices would hold firm.

Personally, I liked them to mush just a bit (thereby thickening the stock), but still be recognisable as slices.
Good question. Last one I did I used some Désirée baking potatoes as it's all I had in and they worked very well. Would probably normally go with a Maris Piper.

Last edited:
Good question. Last one I did I used some Désirée baking potatoes as it's all I had in and they worked very well. Would probably normally go with a Maris Piper.
I grow Desiree taties as a main crop along the allotment. They are a great "all-rounder" - not only for baking, roasting & mashing. They work perfectly in panack IMHO.

My grandmother used to do a thing similar to panack, but with cheese instead of corned beef.

I was never a fan of this myself, and thought it might be an aberration on my grandmother's part. But, according to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, it is a traditional Northumberland dish called "pan haggerty".

He advocates Maris Piper potatoes for this one.

Last edited:
My grandmother used to do a thing similar to panack, but with cheese instead of corned beef.

I was never a fan of this myself, and thought it might be an aberration on my grandmother's part. But, according to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, it is a traditional Northumberland dish called "pan haggerty".

He advocates Maris Piper potatoes for this one.
That's right - the Northumberland "Pan Haggerty" has no meat.
The Mackem Panackelty is a different animal.

never had it but it doesn't sound great. Be sloppy as owt.

If I ever do corned beef hash I fry my corned beef and do it with parmentier potatoes mixed in so it's not sloppy

Back